Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC and Recruitment Thread! Game is live!  (Read 26162 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC and Recruitment Thread!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 09:30:55 am »

Too late to join?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 09:43:09 am »

I'm planning to open the IC thread this Friday, possibly Saturday if Friday turns out to be especially busy.

I apologise in advance for possible weekend reply-tardiness, I am not at a computer as much as I am during the week...

Too late to join?

I think Sirus' last post suggests it wouldn't be.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57:47 am »

Too late to join?
Certainly not! We haven't begun yet, and more cannon fodder brave adventurers definitely doesn't hurt.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:35 am »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:07 pm »

You don't need to have every single thing sorted, but a general idea - even just your novice path - will allow me to get a better feel on what sort of loot should be available at what points. I don't want to, say, drop a bunch of heavy armor and two-handed weapons when everyone is planning on dedicating themselves to magecraft. Or the other way around, for that matter.
You speak as though we're going to survive this ordeal.

I take offense at the insinuation.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 01:44:15 pm »

I'd be a pretty lousy GM if I didn't at least get you to Level 1  :P

Level 2 on the other hand...

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 03:38:49 pm »

WIP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
Anything I need to improve?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:52:08 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 04:14:24 pm »

You appear to be missing a name and an Interesting Thing. Some sort of bio would not go amiss.

You might be a little frail and lacking in combat power, but being a small spider thing could provide a number of advantages. Don't write off your character just yet.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 04:21:41 pm »

Apperently the wip wasn't typed right before, fixed, I'll finish this tommorw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 05:03:29 am »

A spiderbot poacher made from gears and twigs, and his faithful dog... Yeah, that's only mildly terrifying.

Should've rolled the "small mechanical spider" interesting thing, and had yourself a mini-me. Maybe we can dress the dog up for... tactical purposes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 05:02:17 pm »

A question about transformations, by the way: the sidebar on page 147 notes that I can use a triggered action to "switch between forms". Does this mean that while an Animal Shape spell is active, I can suppress it and then continue it later, for instance if I want to cast other spells (which transformations prevent because you need to be able to talk to cast), or simply that I can cancel an Animal Shape spell at will? Depending on the answer, my plan might change to include the lesser Animal Shape spell for flexibility.
Completely forgot to answer this, my bad.

I'm leaning towards the "cancel spell at will" definition. Being able to stretch a single casting over long periods of time, especially if you're casting other spells in the meantime, would be a bit of a bookkeeping headache as I'd have to track exactly how long is left in your Animal Shape spell duration (or any other transformation spell when it comes to that) and also "reserve" the spell slot so it's both available and unavailable at the same time.

There is an alternative I might be willing to accept: you'd be able to shift back and forth, but the spell duration still counts down even when you're not in your animal shape. The problem with this is that Improved Animal Shape specifically states that you "remain in that form for the duration", and the feeling I get is that the other transformation spells work the same way. The point of the "switch between forms" ability seems to be so you aren't stuck as, say, a wooden box for the full 8-hour duration of Object Form.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 05:33:26 pm »

By "suppress" I meant indeed that the effects would be inactive, but the duration would keep ticking. The point wouldn't be to stretch the casting over a long time, but to allow using things like hands and speech while the animal form isn't necessary. The spell's primary purpose would be to fight, and the 1-hour duration is enough for multiple fights, but it becomes an inconvenience if between those fights the user has to remain an animal.

I'm completely willing to accept the "cancel at will" definition, though, it would just mean I'd grab the lesser Animal Shape spell as well so as to have more "bullets".

The point of the "switch between forms" ability seems to be so you aren't stuck as, say, a wooden box for the full 8-hour duration of Object Form.
That's fulfilled by the fact that Object Form requires concentration and is cancelled if you stop concentrating, i.e. at will, so that's probably not the expected interpretation.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 05:34:33 pm »

And that was when Snake learned to become the box.

Anyways, I'm thinking Imrak will probably go the Magician route, because brainsdwarf. Might even pick up some naughty knowledge from that book of his, who knows? I certainly don't know what's in it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 06:44:44 pm »

That's fair enough, I guess I missed the Concentrate part of the Object Form spell.

I'll think on it and maybe check online to see if it's been errata'd anywhere. At the moment though, I'm still leaning towards the cancellation effect. It occurred to me that if you could switch back and forth for the duration of the spell, it might also allow you to swap between many different forms. You wouldn't have to choose between combat or utility for the hour, you'd be able to go back and forth as needed. That's an incredible degree of flexibility for a single spell slot, something I'm not sure other spells can match.

Like I said though, I'll think on it. Open to suggestions as well.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2019, 05:28:50 pm »

Well we started a little late, but the game is live!

Kagus, IcyTea, Giglamesh, and lawastooshort are all in and ready to go. As Rockeater did not finish their sheet, their character isn't in at the moment.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7