Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC and Recruitment Thread! Game is live!  (Read 26177 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

IC thread can be found here.

The orcs have rebelled.
The Emperor is dead.
The Empire is crumbling.
The Shadow draws near.
And in the outskirts of Tomrik's Hollow, a farmer is convinced that someone is stealing his goats.

Take Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, mix with Dungeons & Dragons (mostly 5E), add in a splash of Darkest Dungeon and a pinch of Numenera, and what comes out is Shadow of the Demon Lord. It's a grimdark take on fantasy tabletop roleplaying games, where casualties are high, the monsters are vicious, and sanity is fleeting. Gameplay is relatively simple, with just four characteristics and a small collection of derived stats, and no skills whatsoever other than what can be assumed with a little common sense. It also has one of the more interesting character advancement systems I've seen in a tabletop game. I want to give it a shot.

I'm looking for four to five players willing to start as level-0 scrubs. This game will be run in a play-by-post format, right here on Bay 12. This means that I will probably have to do all of the dice rolling, but unfortunately my schedule is a little loopy so I can't really commit to live sessions. Rolling the dice is a small price to pay.

Spoiler: Who are the players? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sample Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Since this game is pretty new on the forums (a casual search seems to show that no one has tried to run SotDL here), I'll give prospective players at least a week, possibly two, to get their sheets together. Obviously if there is a glut of characters by the end of the first week there won't be any reason to wait longer.

Send me a PM if you don't have access to the core rulebook, and if anyone needs help with character creation, please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck, have fun, and remember: there are far worse fates than death.

Current Party
Imrak the Dwarf (Kagus)
Raina the Human(?) (IcyTea31)
Maraline the Human (GiglameshDespair)
Hate the Orc (lawastooshort)
Weaver of Secrets the Clockwork (Rockeater)

Waitlist
1: Sigmund the Human (randomgenericusername)
2: Gorma the Orc (scriver)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:24:29 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC and Recruitment Thread!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:28:06 am »

Well, I generally don't play tabletop rpgs on forums anymore, but I'll be happy to watch! I prefer playing on discord for text stuff these days~
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 12:00:03 pm »

Spoiler: Basic Sheet (click to show/hide)

Despite doing everything at random (even going so far as rolling for race and digging up the old WFRP table of random names for dwarfs), I seem to have ended up with a remarkably generic dwarf...

Imrak is of average build and appearance, taking reasonable care of himself and keeping his beard well-groomed. He is profoundly honor-bound, and maintains that a dwarf who sullies his honor or brings shame upon his people is not really a dwarf at all. He absolutely loathes trolls.

Born to a respected dynasty in the mountainhome, Imrak received the education and disposition his family's wealth and station provided. He became an orator, proudly retelling many tales of his people's victories against all foes, and of the treasures and glories they had accumulated through their valor. He delved deeper into the unending volumes of recorded dwarfish history; intent on finding ever more stories he could recant in order to verify his people's (and, by proxy, his own) superiority.

But, deep within the musty corridors of the mountainhome's library, he found an unusual tome... Written in a language he did not understand or recognize, it contained a number of handwritten notes scrawled in the margins, in what appeared to be a hasty attempt to translate portions of the book. Stranger still, the notes themselves were written using the Common alphabet. This was clearly not the work of a dwarfish scholar.

The translated notes hinted at an unfathomable conclusion regarding the mountainhome's ancient history. Deeply disturbed by the implications alluded to in the book, Imrak hurriedly grabbed the text, packed a few belongings, and set out into the strange and barbaric world outside the mountainhome. He would find the author of this outrageous account, or at least the obviously incompetent translator, and he would set things right.

There's some specific rolled stuff, such as his racial attributes and his wealth, that isn't included in the basic sheet there. I've got it on my own sheet, but I dunno how much needs to be laid out here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:29:21 pm »

Each ancestry has its own racial tables (most of them lacking mechanical effects), so it'd be tough to include them all in a basic universal sheet. Your method - writing up Imrak's appearance, personality, and reason for adventuring - is actually a great way to do it!

I'll add a wealth section, though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:12:48 pm »

Sure, this seems interesting. Made my character mostly with honest rolls on physical dice.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:57:06 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:28:40 pm »

Have an entirely rolled character.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: rolls etc (click to show/hide)

Maraline is a short girl of around fifteen years of age, with unruly long dark hair covering tanned skin and startlingly green eyes. She is pretty enough to soften the occasional hard heart, and perhaps will grow into a pretty young woman if she lives long enough.

Maraline grew up in the criminal belly of Tomrik's Hollow. Her mother was a washerwoman, her father was a right-hand man in the Tomrik's Hollow underworld: with no siblings, she was soon taught the family business of selling on stolen goods, working out what was profitable, what was too hot to sell, and who would rip you off (or, indeed, rip you up). Tomrik's Hollow isn't a vast town - the Stukbergs made a decent enough living. Her father kept a ledger to ensure he wasn't cheated - and, as an educated man, he taught her to read and write.

Alas, it was not to last forever. A sweep of the local law enforcement rounded up much of the criminal element. Rather than executing them straight off, the local lord isntead decided to press them into military service to combat the peasant revolts that continously seemed to crop up in the area.

Being young as she was, it was clear Maraline would be no use on the front lines - she wasn't large enough to go toe-to-toe with anyone, though she was remarkably strong for her size and age. Instead, she was given the minimum of equipment and used as a skirmisher, harrying the enemy with a flurry of slingstones before the proper troops closed in to fight.

With the local rebellion quelled for now, Maraline was released from service until the next war, and is now looking for a job.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:15:36 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »

Just as a musing on the rulebook... It seems as though grabbing really doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose offensively. Like, you can either maintain your grip on something, or you can move it, or you can do something else to it. But if you do anything other than maintaining a grab, you'll just let go of the critter at the end of that turn.

Really the main use I can see for it is for a big PC to act as a mode of transport for someone smaller, either by having the little'un cling onto them or by having the big one drag them around. Why that would be important, I'm not entirely sure... Since you can't even have someone hanging off the back of a big orc while blasting away at the enemy, since that would constitute doing something other than maintaining the grab... So they'd just get bored and drop off.

Although, RAW, it does seem to allow for everyone to grab the big PC, whereupon the big one can run around like some kind of horrific opossum mama carrying the rest of the party on their back.

Also, Giglamesh, I take it you chose not to do the -1/+1 stat adjustment?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 07:13:31 pm »

Also, Giglamesh, I take it you chose not to do the -1/+1 stat adjustment?
Actually I just forgot I could do that in the midst of character creation.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:15:58 am »

Alas, it was not to last forever. A sweep of the local law enforcement rounded up much of the criminal element. Rather than executing them straight off, the local lord isntead decided to press them into military service to combat the peasant revolts that continously seemed to crop up in the area.
This could have been around the same time as Raina was with the mercenary company. A possible connection to be made? Hell, maybe they even were on opposing sides. Even if not, it's possible that they'd have met or even befriended or each other as fellow residents of the town. Got any ideas for that?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 07:48:35 am »

This could have been around the same time as Raina was with the mercenary company. A possible connection to be made? Hell, maybe they even were on opposing sides. Even if not, it's possible that they'd have met or even befriended or each other as fellow residents of the town. Got any ideas for that?
The peasant rebellion mentioned in Raina's back story is what led to me mentioning it in mine. So yeah, I'd be fine with them having met and/or becoming friends.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:29 am »

boop
Black lives matter.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 01:44:34 pm »

Is that a "boop, I want to join so I'll make a sheet later" boop or a "boop, this is interesting so I want to follow this thread" boop?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 01:54:33 pm »

it’s up to reader interpretation
Black lives matter.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:16 pm »

If you put money on it, it's a betty boop.

There are some rather, ah, "interesting" items on the "interesting things" tables... Play a clockwork who ends up with a reputation as an amazing lover? Sure! Fisto's firmware is always up to date!

A donkey-pulled wagon, a can of beets, a bag full of "fleshy rods", a bizarre fetish (I'm going to interpret this as the inanimate object with religious or mystical associations definition of 'fetish'...), unrequited love, the ubiquitous 10' pole... Certainly an eclectic collection.

Also, I do have to wonder how someone manages to go through a career as a medicus and a mercenary without ever coming into contact with iron. This must be the poorer part of the country, where people have to make their own tools out of dirt.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 03:24:51 pm »

Also, I do have to wonder how someone manages to go through a career as a medicus and a mercenary without ever coming into contact with iron. This must be the poorer part of the country, where people have to make their own tools out of dirt.
Hey, the dice said what they said, so I had to write a contrived series of coincidences: a mercenary clad in leather wielding a wood-shafted spear (and lucky enough to not come in contact with the enemy's iron), a healer with a mortar and pestle of stone. A physician is not a surgeon, so no need to worry about scalpels or other metal tools. I'd also imagine that of the starting equipment, the dagger happens to have a wooden handle, the clothing and backpack happen to not have any buckles or other metal parts, and the tinderbox happens to have pyrite* instead of refined steel.

This is all very unlikely, of course, but it has to have happened for the rolled background to make any semblance of sense. Still, I'm fairly certain that Raina's preternatural luck about iron will run out in maybe a week of game time.

*which is technically 46,5% iron by mass, but that's probably not pure enough to count. If it were, even human blood would be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:30:54 pm by IcyTea31 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7