Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The mission into oblivion. (DF adventure mode story that just happened to me)  (Read 802 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website

I posted this in the adventure mode forum and also on reddit as i thought it was pretty amazing that this just happened in the current version of DF,

So a lord named Rope Tellvault who was the lord of a local mead hall sent my adventurer, a wide eyed young ambitious swordsman named Ino Pointedstable. On a suicide mission to a nearby tomb called Bowbent. How did this happen you ask? Well.

You see in my ambition to become the legendary hero i was destined to become I had inquired about local troubles and Rope notified me that bandits had moved into a nearby tomb, called Bowbents. He told me to go to a tomb and take out the bandits there. Being the ambitious swordsman i was, and thinking nothing of bandits, as why would a bandit be able to kill me, HA. I took him up on his challenge. I traveled to the tomb, and started looking, and in the process of looking, and breaking into several tombs, every single one in fact, i ran into several traps, breaking my legs, destroying my liver, and brusing my spleen. My cuts later became infected, but i was still looking for the bandits as they have to be here somewhere, right. Several very dangerous traps, and no bandits anywhere later. I decided to bail, and was easily slaughtered by bogeymen in the night.

However, it Turns out there were no bandits there, in fact no bandits had ever moved into that place in its entire history. I checked legends later to see what was up, and it turns out he (Rope) had recently become obsessed with his mortality and sought to extend his life by any means.

I unfortunately died looking for the non-existent bandits there.

The only time i've ever been lied to in this game before this was when a vampire told me to go to a cave (with a dragon in it), to take out bandits. So this came as a surprise to me.

TLDR: In other words, i was sent on a mission to my own oblivion, probably because he was worried i would kill him later. Or, as i like to imagine, as some part of a ritual to extend his life, by any means. Via the death of unwitting wide eyed young adventurers.

My dead adventurer:

The Lord:

The tomb of Bowbent

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit