Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Tactical Hell: ...  (Read 33306 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Tactical Hell: ...
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:59:47 am »

You twist through the terrifyingly full emptiness for eons, staring into the full blackened absurdity of this existence. You blink and sake your head, slowly recalling the events of the past few seconds. You died. It was... well, it was painful. Now all you feel is a pounding migraine.
Welcome to hell!

Spoiler: game rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: character sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: example items (click to show/hide)

If I've made any mistakes or the rules are unclear, feel free to tell me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:36:46 pm by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Hell: Lethal Tile-Based Tactics. In Hell.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:14:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:22:02 am »

Spoiler: kot gurl (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:50:22 am by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:44:47 pm »

Spoiler: The Mad Scribe (click to show/hide)
He done.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:23:47 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:09 pm »

Looks like a swell little group of weirdos. Scribe still needs stats, then we can go go go.

Oh boy looks like I'm out of excuses.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:39:16 pm »

To put our ragtag group of damned into words, we have a crusader, a furry, and a madman. In hell.
Let's raise some Heaven.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Tactical Hell: Lesson 1: dying hurts
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 12:06:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You're woken by the sound of a door opening. You don't bother to open your eyes; exhausted as you are from campaigning, you need the rest.
By the time you realize your mistake, it's too late. The man has walked to the side of your bed and his blade slashes your neck open.
The man's strike was sloppy; though painful, you realize that you can still fight! You strike out at the assassin with all the strength you have.
Your fist collides with the man's skull with a satisfying crack and he's down. You quickly get up and grab your sword to finish him off. He is the owner of the house you're staying in. As you drive your sword into his chest, you stares you down defiantly.
Then, already exhausted, you collapse.

The wound in your neck is worse than you thought, it's infected. Healers do what they can, but it's ineffective. All they can do if pray for you. You pray as well. But despite everything, one night you find that you cannot breathe. The wound has become swollen and it blocks the air from reaching your lungs. Consciousness fades, and you accept your fate...

Spoiler: kot gurl (click to show/hide)

Gasping for air, You stumble down the hall as fast as you can manage. Your weapon is heavy, and you feel like nothing but laying down, but you need to keep. Moving. Another tranquilizer dart slams into your thigh, and you rip it out before it can deliver too much of that toxin. Still, the world goes fuzzy and your body starts to ignore your will, shutting down. No, not yet. You take out your last syringe of stimulant and jam it into your arm; all at once the world becomes clear again, your movements easy. You round a corner and finally see the way out.
You crash through the glass door into the sunlight outside and don't look back, running into the woods.

After a while more, your body starts to give out. It's not far, but it'll have to be far enough. You find a hiding spot in a large hollow tree trunk and instantly fall asleep...

...When you wake up, you're in a hospital bed. No. You didn't run far enough. You're hooked up to several machines, beeping and buzzing and whirring. You share the room with two doctors conversing with each other, but... You can't bring yourself to care about their conversation. You're just so tired. You close your eyes, feeling the cold creep into your skin.

Spoiler: The Mad Scribe (click to show/hide)
He done.

You stare into your tome, your eyes seeing not letters in ink but unspeakable patterns. Your gaze doesn't track your pen as it meanders over the page, right, left, up, down, deeper, deeper. When the pen is finished, you sit back and look at the page. Half covered in ink, no describable pattern, but it's perfect. The page describes nothing that exists even in your own twisted mind, but when you look at it, you know.
Then you flip the page and work on the next.

Your pen isn't steady. Your hands shake, no matter how much you try to focus. Sloppy, imperfect. Not a work of art, merely the scrawlings of a madman. You need to control the shaking. You need to nourish your body so that the novel may be finished. But it's far too late. Once in motion it cannot be stopped. You cannot be stopped. By the time you reach the final page, it's impossible to even try to form words with your pen, but you still need to keep writing. You cover that last page in a chaotic scribble. Your signature. Then everything goes dark.

Finally, you awaken. You rub the images of felines from your eyes and survey your surroundings.
You seem to be in some sort of natural cave, uneven ceiling staring back down at you from 10 feet away. It's dark, but you can still see pretty well, as if the stone itself were giving off a faint light.

Laying near you are two other people. Jeez, talk about a pair of weirdos. Oh well, maybe you can talk to them and learn something about where you are?

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alexander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rakiit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scribe (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:05:31 pm by Egan_BW »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Hell: Lesson 1: dying hurts
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 03:07:09 am »

Alexander stands up, slowly inspecting his surroundings.  "This is... Heaven?" he says to himself, confused.  He holds one armored hand in front of his face, twisting it around as if he's never seen the limb before.  He pauses, then tightens his fist as his gaze returns to the rough-hewn walls around him.  "Something is wrong" he states firmly.

The knight only then notices the other two people who awoke with him, and turns to offer them each a hand.  "Greetings, fellow servants of God.  It seems our final reward is not yet upon us."

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:23:30 am »

The Scribe chuckles to himself.
"No, I'm quite certain this is hell. Why would God let someone like me into heaven when I've seen so many of His 'almighty' mistakes?"
He glances around, noticing the small nook.
"Hm... What's in here?"
He then walks over to look through it.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:23 am »

Rakiit wakes up and slams her fist into the ground So, Damn, close, I was so close I just needed one last stim. She keeps hitting the ground until something gradually dawns on her. She isn't alone and this isn't a simulation considering she's still wearing that dead guards uniform and carrying her favorite gun, she didn't know exactly what happened to failed escapees but she was pretty sure it wasn't this. So where exactly is she? Straightening up she looks at the two weirdos as they talk about where they appear to be. She's never heard of Hell but it might be one of the more obscure countries.

God? Heaven, Hell? What are you talking about?

23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 01:52:28 pm »

Alexander recoils away from the others.  "Neither of you are faithful?    Something is very wrong indeed!  This cannot be Hell, but neither can it be Heaven..."

He looks around at the surround walls, confused.  "...Perhaps it is some test, or perhaps a second chance for the two of you, unlucky souls as you are.  Fear not; God is merciful, and if you accept his love and forgivness, you will undoubtably be able to endure this ordeal.  My name is Alexander, holy crusader in service to The Lord, and it seems that I shall be your guide in this realm."

Examine our surroundings, and that blackish thing to the south.  Don't touch it, just try and puzzle out what God's plan is for us.

...Look down a couple of the side passages as well.  Maybe one of them leads above, to Heaven.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Tactical Hell: new "friends"
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 03:06:34 pm »

The Scribe chuckles to himself.
"No, I'm quite certain this is hell. Why would God let someone like me into heaven when I've seen so many of His 'almighty' mistakes?"
He glances around, noticing the small nook.
"Hm... What's in here?"
He then walks over to look through it.

Towards what seems to the scribe to be the west of the room, a smooth rectangular passage seems to be carved into the natural wall. It's not exactly a hallway, barely large enough to get through crawling on the ground. This route could be traversed, but it seems immediately claustrophobic.
At the end of the passage you see a small wooden hatch.

Alexander recoils away from the others.  "Neither of you are faithful?    Something is very wrong indeed!  This cannot be Hell, but neither can it be Heaven..."

He looks around at the surround walls, confused.  "...Perhaps it is some test, or perhaps a second chance for the two of you, unlucky souls as you are.  Fear not; God is merciful, and if you accept his love and forgivness, you will undoubtably be able to endure this ordeal.  My name is Alexander, holy crusader in service to The Lord, and it seems that I shall be your guide in this realm."

Examine our surroundings, and that blackish thing to the south.  Don't touch it, just try and puzzle out what God's plan is for us.

...Look down a couple of the side passages as well.  Maybe one of them leads above, to Heaven.

There's a hole in the floor to the south, leading down into darkness. Carefully peering down it, you can see that the bottom is just more natural cave, more than that you cannot see from here. It's not so far a drop that it's hurt if you were careful, but it wouldn't be easy getting back up, either.
[Alexander makes a perception check. 12.]
You realize that a trickle of water is flowing down the hole. Tracing the water's path across the chamber, you see that the source of the water is the passage to the north. That could suggest that the north passage leads upwards.

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alexander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rakiit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scribe (click to show/hide)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Hell: new "friends"
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 06:57:42 pm »

"Ah, just a silly thing called religion, a thing people cling to to explain that which they do not understand," the Scribe chuckles. "We died, that seems to be the one constant. Now, you seem like an agile lass - Could you squeeze in here, perhaps see what's on the other side of that hatch?"
He steps aside, and gestures to the tunnel.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17