Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guide: How to add dynasties of superpowered overlords to any civilization  (Read 2158 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So basically you can hack the necromancer interaction to transform people into whatever you want. I use this all the time and want to tell people about it. Here's how you do it.

Step 1: Create a creature

Do as you normally do with one exception. No color descriptors, because the game crashes when you examine a transformed creature with color descriptors. You gotta put that in the manual description, just type out their hair color, skin color, ect. Yes this does mean they'll all have the same colors to them unless you make a bunch of castes, no helping it.

Step 2: create an interaction.

For this example, I'll show the interaction I used to turn humans into Aristocrats (name subject to change) genetically engineered superhumans who rule over everything. Note that living beings can only permanently transform once. You can not make a creature you have turned into something turn into something else.

Some things to note:
I did not include a sphere for this secret. That means that unlike necromancy, which only gods of death can bestow the secrets of, any god can bestow this one. You can add spheres for your own if you like.
I made it so that only humans can become aristocrats, but of course you can modify it to work however you like.

[INTERACTION:GOD_SECRET]
[I_SOURCE:SECRET]
      [IS_NAME:the secrets of becoming a god among men]
      [IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]
      [IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_death.txt]
   [I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
      [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
      [IT_REQUIRES:MORTAL]
      [IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
      [IT_REQUIRES:CAN_SPEAK]
      [IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:HUMAN:ALL]
      [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:WERECURSE]

[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
      [IE_TARGET:A]
      [IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]

[SYNDROME][SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
   [SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:HUMAN:FEMALE]
   [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:PROB:100:START:0:ABRUPT_START]
         [CE:CREATURE:ARISTOCRAT:FEMALE]

[SYNDROME][SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
   [SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:HUMAN:MALE]
   [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:PROB:100:START:0:ABRUPT_START]
         [CE:CREATURE:ARISTOCRAT:MALE]

Step 3: Optionally make them always be rulers

Basically you add [CREATURE_CLASS:whatever] to the creature, and then in the civ that the race which transforms lives in, you add [ALLOWED_CLASS:whatever] to all the positions you want to add it to.

What this will do is that transformed creatures, Aristocrats in this case, will ALWAYS be prioritized for being promoted to those positions. For example, doing this to the king position means Aristocrats would always be kings if there are any in the civ, or at least are much more likely to be promoted to that position.

But what is super interesting about this trick is the fact that these new creatures can reproduce. Obviously the first way is for two of the transformed humans to meet and marry each other. BUT if a female transforms into a new creature AND is already married to someone in worldgen, she will produce children of HER race even though the father is of a different race, which is obviously really handy in spreading the species around.

So yeah you can probably use this to make all kinds of cool things like clans of vampire overlords or dragon kings and stuff.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:59:00 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guide: How to add dynasties of superpowered overlords to any civilization
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 02:14:12 pm »

This is super cool.  Do the transformed Aristocrats have to always be immortal for this to work?  It would be interesting to have normal lifespan dynasties of uber-people as well.  Instead of undead zombies, they could have "Courtiers" who wouldn't necessarily have to be "opposed to life", but maybe would function like the mountain gnomes do instead, targeting a fortresses' booze and guzzling it.

Bravo!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guide: How to add dynasties of superpowered overlords to any civilization
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:44 pm »

This is super cool.  Do the transformed Aristocrats have to always be immortal for this to work?  It would be interesting to have normal lifespan dynasties of uber-people as well.  Instead of undead zombies, they could have "Courtiers" who wouldn't necessarily have to be "opposed to life", but maybe would function like the mountain gnomes do instead, targeting a fortresses' booze and guzzling it.

Bravo!

Immortality is not necessary, but I had my Aristocrats be ageless anyway simply because it increases the prevalence of their kind. When I gen a medium world for example I can get 100+ specimens and multiple generations of Aristocrat rulers. If they age then you get a lot less of them, and it decreases the odds of a proper dynasty.

As for the mountain gnome thing, that'd be more a werebeast-style interaction if you wanted them to attack fortresses and steal their booze.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile

Shouldn't there be [ALLOWED_CLASS:whatever] ? I don't think some [ALLOWED_CASTE] token exists. Otherwise, this is great! However for some strange reasons even kobolds or other races outside [IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE] are getting the secret from deities and megabeasts. Of course it has no effect for them, but you know, it's kinda weird when you've got five magic slabs in the world with this secret, and only one of them is holded by the race desired.

Can I somehow limit the secret to one entity? I could use spheres of that entity, but if there was some easier way...
Or am I doing something wrong? Competent and better modders, help me!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:41:47 am by Quaksna »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shouldn't there be [ALLOWED_CLASS:whatever] ? I don't think some [ALLOWED_CASTE] token exists. Otherwise, this is great! However for some strange reasons even kobolds or other races outside [IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE] are getting the secret from deities and megabeasts. Of course it has no effect for them, but you know, it's kinda weird when you've got five magic slabs in the world with this secret, and only one of them is holded by the race desired.

Can I somehow limit the secret to one entity? I could use spheres of that entity, but if there was some easier way...

Sorry for the delay but yes it should be class not caste.

As for the other stuff I'm not quite sure how to fix that. I've kind of just let it happen and not thought about it too hard. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay though.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay but yes it should be class not caste.

As for the other stuff I'm not quite sure how to fix that. I've kind of just let it happen and not thought about it too hard. It doesn't seem to affect gameplay though.

Yeah, it does not affect gameplay, but it's still weird. I made the interaction so that the overlords are quite rare occasion, so it's bad when you wait X years for the chosen one overlord to come, and kobold gets the slab instead  :D

Emperor Sheev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can make it only work for humans by doing
[IT_REQUIRES:MUNDANE]

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see the point there. So only creatures with IT_REQUIRES token get the slab?

Emperor Sheev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see the point there. So only creatures with IT_REQUIRES token get the slab?

Yes, I believe so. Sorry for a late reply!