Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: child cap buggy?  (Read 1202 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
child cap buggy?
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:19:46 pm »

how does the child cap work? because there appears to be some mysterious forces at play here. I set it to 10:15, ten kids max or fifteen percent of my total fort. it says it'll use whichever value is lower.
yet for some unknown reason ONE THIRD of my fort is children. As this fortress currently has a population of 81, that's a whopping 27 kids. does it only apply the cap that was present at worldgen? because that's the only thing I could think of that gives me that many damn kids, and this is an older world in terms of when I made it.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: child cap buggy?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:37:35 am »

How many of those kids are migrants? The child cap might only prevent further births in the fort, not children traveling with their families.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:01:30 am »

Supposedly it only prevents pregnancies even, the ones started before the cap was raised should proceed normally. And yes, it has nothing to do with migrants, so migrant waves can bring enough children to overstep the cap. I would say they usually do.

From my experience after some time the only new citizens are the resident granted citizenship, there are no new pregnancies, and migration stops even earlier. I get new pregnancies fort testing by occasionally raising the cap, then lowering it back.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:49 pm »

yeah it's all %$^#& migrants. and since this is on my laptop, i keep the pop cap at 125 to keep the framerate up. that's disappointing though. I'd rather *not* murder them, (to keep the parents from freaking out) but they keep grabbing open bedrooms from the hardworking parents and taking up all the beds in my dorm.
if they could hurry up and grow up already so i could set them to mining/forging duties that would be great
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:18:15 pm by nezclaw »
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »

If you're not averse to a little "cheating", I believe Dwarf Therapist will let you set labors on children (don't quote me on that - I've never done it before). You could play it off as a sort of "apprenticeship" for the older children, when they reach a certain age.

Otherwise: you could try sending some dwarves away. I don't know if that makes them take their families with them or not, though.

As for grabbing open bedrooms: just don't make bedrooms until you want to assign them to someone. Build the beds, but don't designate the room, and no one will take them. Or you could just make more bedrooms, they're not too hard to put up.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 03:17:53 am »

There's a bug where you can't send away dorfs who have children offsite because they can't bring all of their kids with them...

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 04:35:49 pm »

oh for the love of... and now it's even worse since a freaking bronze colossus wiped out most of the adult population

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:49:44 pm »

and now I can accommodate more migrant children since a freaking bronze colossus improved my frame rate for me

FTFY :-)  I suppose on average you only have to wait 5 years for the children to replace the ranks of the fallen.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 02:19:25 pm »

actually i think i'm just gonna age them up with the rejuvenate command

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 06:16:38 pm »

hahahahaha i have SO MANY PEASANTS now. time to train them in metalworking in case of a mood.