Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's With The Naked Cave Dwellers?  (Read 1488 times)

Baraltar

• Bay Watcher
  • DF player/Warhammer enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
What's With The Naked Cave Dwellers?
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:51:14 pm »

I started a new game as a human with a penchant for martial arts. After travelling across the world for a while, I decided my target be the criminals and bandits that plague the land. Some sort of batman-esque medieval vigilante was in my mind, beating the villainous intent out of Ne're-Do-Wells one punch at a time. I recruited an axewoman to go along with my adventures. Just on the border of the hamlet I met her from was a lair. We wandered in, I, thinking to myself what kind of beast calls this cave home, only to find a...goblin. A non-hostile, completely friendly goblin. It was quite a surprise. He was absolutely naked, weaponless, and his cave was littered with coins, but no corpses. I spoke with the goblin, and the only information I got was that he had some distant family, and a strong desire to leave his subterranean corridor of a domicile. I recruited him, and he became a friend of the axewoman, though they often bicker and get angry with one another. A couple days later, I came across another lair. We entered it, expecting a beast of some sort, and found a human two-year-old playing make-believe all alone. The kid was possessionless, and there wasn't jack in the cave he was in. Every attempt I made trying to get info from him went nowhere. What's going on here? Why the hermits squatting in caves?
Urist McGrotsnik, Bone doctor has grown attached to a iron choppa!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: What's With The Naked Cave Dwellers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:58:43 pm »

they are untransformed werebeasts, including the kid. They will transform on the full moon.
i LIKE LOVECRAFT
My website:
untrustedlife.com
Check out the open source simulation game I am developing!
Thrive

Baraltar

• Bay Watcher
  • DF player/Warhammer enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:13:05 pm »

they are untransformed werebeasts, including the kid. They will transform on the full moon.

That's unexpected, to say the least. Will my werebeast buddy lose interest in our venture during his next transformation, can I keep him locked up some where, and will I earn the ire of my companions for killing a toddler?
Urist McGrotsnik, Bone doctor has grown attached to a iron choppa!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:08:57 am »

That's unexpected, to say the least. Will my werebeast buddy lose interest in our venture during his next transformation, can I keep him locked up some where, and will I earn the ire of my companions for killing a toddler?
He will probably attack you when he transforms. Good luck,
i LIKE LOVECRAFT
My website:
untrustedlife.com
Check out the open source simulation game I am developing!
Thrive

CohentheBarbarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:34:29 pm »

Name him GOKU and teach him KUNG FU

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 02:18:33 pm »

If you ask him to stay home, and are lucky enough to find another werebeast of his kind, you may let that one bite you and your companion (on naked flesh, no clothing), and next month you can all be crime fighting kung fu werebeasts.

If you let him bite you, it might not be so easy to de-escalate and become friends again.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:20:46 pm by Eric Blank »
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:51:05 pm »

If you ask him to stay home, and are lucky enough to find another werebeast of his kind, you may let that one bite you and your companion (on naked flesh, no clothing), and next month you can all be crime fighting kung fu werebeasts.

If you let him bite you, it might not be so easy to de-escalate and become friends again.

In fortress mode, that sometimes (?) causes fights due to the changes not being perfectly timed (werebeast A transforms, attacks dwarf who becomes werebeast B, etc. Or that's backwards?). Experiment and let us know if it works in adventure mode.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 10:17:18 pm »

In fortress mode, that sometimes (?) causes fights due to the changes not being perfectly timed (werebeast A transforms, attacks dwarf who becomes werebeast B, etc. Or that's backwards?). Experiment and let us know if it works in adventure mode.
I can say for a fact that it does not. I know from experience. I had a Wererhino adventurer who started an outbreak, only to be torn to shreds by her own Wererhinos throughout the town she infected. Werebeasts not only maintain hostilities in Adventure Mode but the timing is also even less synchronized than in Fortress Mode, leading to lots of FUN.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.