Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Problem Child - Xan promotes a niche webcomic because no one else will  (Read 6452 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Child - Xan promotes a niche webcomic because no one else will
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 12:30:36 am »

Also hot damn new update, metal snake is going on the warpath, so how the hell did he get undone

Probably by going on the warpath tbh
I’m guessing

God he’s just so damn cool though. This is how you do a good villain.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 04:37:21 pm »

I never got the impression there were villains in this. Everyone seems like they're damaged and/or trapped by the accrued consequences of their past mistakes and failures. Except speed run lad, he's too good for the world

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 10:01:29 pm »

I feel like Metal snake is just culty enough that whatever bad things he's doing will end up far outnumbering the good by the time the story's done.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 04:06:30 am »

I never got the impression there were villains in this. Everyone seems like they're damaged and/or trapped by the accrued consequences of their past mistakes and failures. Except speed run lad, he's too good for the world
Oh aye, but metal snek pretty evidently isn't affected by that - or at least he doesn't so much seem to display it so much as act as a means for other people to abandon their past baggage and adopt new identities. Gets to hold the pain of their old lives over them that way so they won't ever leave him. Entrapment disguised as help, weakness disguised as strength. Alexandra's the primo example of that, and I'm fairly certain a good part of her character arc is gonna be learning to overcome his false strength and building herself into an actual person. So while he might not be a villain for most of the main cast, he is most certainly on the antagonist side of things.

I mean hell, the guy looks, talks, and presents himself like a boss fight from Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. It's awesome and I love everything about it.

Oh right, best character is indisputably Dylan's mom
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:09:24 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 02:43:00 am »

Update! Dylan's a fcuknig weeb and obsessive lesbian continues to be obsessive, more news at 5
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:27 am »

I really love the update speed of this comic.

And also that America's Favorite Ship seem to be getting along well even through the sketchy way they ended up together. They sass well.
Sig! Onol

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 01:35:38 am »

In most stories I'd go, what a nice bit of pleasantness to keep things from getting too down. But in this comic it's more of a hmm, how is this going to make things worse.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 02:13:47 am »

In most stories I'd go, what a nice bit of pleasantness to keep things from getting too down. But in this comic it's more of a hmm, how is this going to make things worse.
My personal guess is that Gus is gonna be considered the prime murder suspect since Sandra dun vanished and he was the last person she had contact with.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 03:49:56 pm »

Oh aye, but metal snek pretty evidently isn't affected by that - or at least he doesn't so much seem to display it so much as act as a means for other people to abandon their past baggage and adopt new identities. Gets to hold the pain of their old lives over them that way so they won't ever leave him. Entrapment disguised as help, weakness disguised as strength. Alexandra's the primo example of that, and I'm fairly certain a good part of her character arc is gonna be learning to overcome his false strength and building herself into an actual person. So while he might not be a villain for most of the main cast, he is most certainly on the antagonist side of things.
I don't know enough about metal snek to cast judgement yet. Everything we've seen so far has come from #1 Mum of the year who is not a reliable narrator, and who is explicitly guilty about ruining metal snek's life, apparently crippling them and destroying their entire legacy. Without more information I can't tell whether metal snek is sincerely trying to help or has ulterior culty motives

I mean hell, the guy looks, talks, and presents himself like a boss fight from Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. It's awesome and I love everything about it.
Oh right, best character is indisputably Dylan's mom
If there's one thing you gotta be sure about this comic is judging by appearances is haram. Especially if they look like a militiaristic cult metal snek

As far as I can see the only character that really deserves to be attributed to villainy is that one "friend" who sabotages everything to alleviate how guilty they feel for being a terrible person. They're the only character consciously malicious

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 04:20:34 pm »

Hmm. Which 'friend' do you mean? That could be the orange-haired one, could be earring girl, could be flashback weed-smoker guy, could be ... certainly not speedrun boy. Not sure.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 04:25:12 pm »

Hmm. Which 'friend' do you mean? That could be the orange-haired one, could be earring girl, could be flashback weed-smoker guy, could be ... certainly not speedrun boy. Not sure.
Master energy aligner does good whilst having selfish intent, but does introspection and recognises they have selfish intent, whilst trying their best to avert course. They are not villainous. Speedrun boy is clearly a true villain for writing shonen manga, but is otherwise a good lad. Rothschild weed boy seems like one who is too young and too wealthy to comprehend the consequences for their actions, thus they're destructive but I don't think they're villainous. Earring girl however is villainous. Going after a friend you betrayed to disentangle all of their meaningful relations just to alleviate the guilt of your betrayal is something they'd monologue about in a Hellraiser film

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 07:51:01 pm »

Master energy aligner does good whilst having selfish intent, but does introspection and recognises they have selfish intent, whilst trying their best to avert course. They are not villainous. Speedrun boy is clearly a true villain for writing shonen manga, but is otherwise a good lad. Rothschild weed boy seems like one who is too young and too wealthy to comprehend the consequences for their actions, thus they're destructive but I don't think they're villainous. Earring girl however is villainous. Going after a friend you betrayed to disentangle all of their meaningful relations just to alleviate the guilt of your betrayal is something they'd monologue about in a Hellraiser film
Hmm, I see where you're coming from. I do think somewhat otherwise though; the 'betrayal' is obviously far more personal to Amber than it is for Freya, who endured Amber treating her as a venting machine for something like 5 years before getting weary of it and doing some venting of her own ... which did happen to spread because gossip is an awful phenomenon. Not to say that it wasn't a shite thing to do, but it is understandable, since their friendship wasn't a healthy one.

Nor is she really all that great of a friend to Amber for falling back on their shared history in order to fuck with Daisy when she was the one who wanted to disregard that in the first place, but the scene that convinced me that while she may be somewhat of a shitty person she isn't an outright villain was when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Course this is all relative, what with it being character interpretation. Could go any which way with how the plot develops later on.
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:44 pm »

Several updates later, a new art style appears! Methinks redhead girl’s having a bad dream.
Sig! Onol

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 11:18:34 pm »

I've just finished read through the entire archive, and now I'm gonna wait for a backlog to full up. The story and characters are great, and the art is pleasant to look at. I'm looking forward to what's gonna happen next in this saga of emotional abuse and alcoholism.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 01:35:37 pm »

Weekly update blip! I figure posting every time the comic updates is a little pointless since it does so every second day, but if I do so every week that's between 3 or 4 updates to chew on.

This is ... interesting. I'm damn near certain we've seen this guy before, this ... Tony. He's got a familiar face.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4