Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Problem Child - Xan promotes a niche webcomic because no one else will  (Read 6463 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Child - Xan promotes a niche webcomic because no one else will
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:42 pm »

Binging through the archive (finished volume 1 today, going to leave #2 for tomorrow) seems really good so far- thanks for turning me on to it. Might come speculate with you guys when I'm done (or not, thanks either way.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 08:16:18 pm »

Well, shit just got real.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:48 pm »

I honestly still can’t tell if Daisy’s dreaming this or not. I think she might be, and this nightmare would be what spurs her to be honest about her motivations and such.

Admittedly I’m basing this entirely off the sudden art change, so could go either way.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 10:36:35 am »

Finally caught up.
1. You raise some good points Xantulu, points which I will do justice responding to one day.
2. Jupiter Media knows too much, I am suspish
3. Hot damn Daisy is stuck in a trap. Tfw the only way you can care for your friend is to not care, this is why you ALIGN YOUR ENERGIES

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 03:29:07 pm »

Periodic boop!

So it wasn't a dream, that's interesting. And we see further how Sandra ended up so messed up later on.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:20 pm »

Yeah I thought it wasn't a dream, seemed too real

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 02:19:19 am »

This is almost certainly the wrong reaction to have, but...

FALCON PUNCH
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 04:08:50 am »

Opium hopium, your face a pugnacious wallopin

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 01:17:17 pm »

VOLUME 3 COMPLETED, PEOPLES!

Overall, kinda less conclusive than other volumes have proven to be in the past. Most of the stories have taken a definite turn for the worse, though, especially with what's happened in this last one.

Hiatus for a week, comic resumes April 7th. I is excite!
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 08:01:05 am »

Having finished reading, Speedrun kid is an angel and the world does not deserve him. Opium boy is a top shelf dickhead. Freya remains a complete dickhead and probable villain; Daisy's altruism is no crime especially once you factor in her mental state. I really do not get the argument that Daisy is being selfish, especially when you factor in Daisy's in a rough place. Freya's argument comes from a place of spite (she wants to get back at Daisy for making her feel the appropriate level of remorse for her cruelty), while Amber's criticisms have come from her exceptionally shitty day and the much more serious issue of Daisy lying. Had Freya not intervened and clearly played crueler intrigues on them both, resulting in one of them physically injured and both of them mentally injured, there's a good chance they could've resolved through it without falling on ultimatums and emotional barriers

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 02:13:57 pm »

Yeah now that more of her backstory has been revealed I can definitively recant that daisy=selfish assertion - she's certainly going through past issues with Amber as a proxy, but that's kinda the theme of the comic.

Freya as a villain ... I dunno, depends on what her future actions are, I think. She definitely doesn't really have Amber's best interests at heart, but I'm an overly optimistic bastard and I keep factoring in the fact that she's like 14. I know I kinda lacked the ability to comprehend anyone's emotional state but my own at that age, so I'm attributing that somewhat to Freya and hoping it wears off eventually.
Sig! Onol

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 04:28:55 pm »

The writing feels kind of off to me. All the characters have their own little issues, which is good. Good stories have issues.  But it kind of feels like the gender dynamics are a skewed, specially when all female leads seem to be going crazy in one way or another(Sandra, Amber, Daisy, even Aunt Maria, who seems to have her own issues bubbling underneath the surface). Contrast that with the guys who are mostly reacting (Ricky, Dylan) or with the other male leads who act, damn be the consequences of those said actions (Teddy, Murdoch, Scott, who notably abandons all responsibilities to fly off to God-knows-where to visit his parents while his daughter is in the hospital).

I'm enjoying having read through so far, but it's something that I couldn't help but notice to bring up.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2019, 12:25:52 am »

The writing feels kind of off to me. All the characters have their own little issues, which is good. Good stories have issues.  But it kind of feels like the gender dynamics are a skewed, specially when all female leads seem to be going crazy in one way or another(Sandra, Amber, Daisy, even Aunt Maria, who seems to have her own issues bubbling underneath the surface). Contrast that with the guys who are mostly reacting (Ricky, Dylan) or with the other male leads who act, damn be the consequences of those said actions (Teddy, Murdoch, Scott, who notably abandons all responsibilities to fly off to God-knows-where to visit his parents while his daughter is in the hospital).

I'm enjoying having read through so far, but it's something that I couldn't help but notice to bring up.
Hmm, good observation! I wonder if this is gonna be a continued thing once we find out what happened with Sandra's mom and dad.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 03:20:14 am »

What's the difference between the male and female characters acting without regard for consequence?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 06:01:26 pm »

Bleah. That's a bit tough to answer. Everyone mentioned is an actor and my generalizations probably shouldn't apply to everyone in the story. Olivia for instance, breaks the mold by being strong and bold by punching Sandra in the face when she kind of deserved it. Freya seems to have her life together. Her horrendous decision to pair Amber and alcohol can be summed up by her being fifteen and stupid.

So, maybe it's less about consequences, and more how characters react to a situation. Sandra, Daisy and to a lesser extent, Amber, shatter like glass. Ricky and Dylan bend. Teddy, Murdoch, and Scott face their stresses by effectively giving it the finger and acting out in defiance, even when a little bit of bending would make sense. They haven't been shown to break down like S.D.A have, which is a disservice to their characters in my opinion.

Which, maybe another note to put it in another way. Have any of the guys cried in the story? I know Richard has, since he is dying and all, but he's still kind of an outlier.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:03:35 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4