Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Psyche rework by next release?  (Read 532 times)

Shard1697

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Psyche rework by next release?
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:55:54 pm »

Hi, slightly unsure of what forum this should go in. I know the next release is to give us some things to play around with before the big wait-I'm wondering if toady's said anything about changing how dwarves get totally messed up from seeing corpses at the moment? Right now they basically become useless if they see much of any combat or death and preventing that is pretty tedious.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psyche rework by next release?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:10:43 pm »

I wouldnt say useless. Now and again you get a horrified warning from remembering the corpse and you may need to expel a few dwarves but definitely not useless.

Shard1697

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:46:10 pm »

My experience has been most of my military dwarves(and a couple non-military) just ended up wandering around in a daze really often.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:32:04 pm »

Anyway to answer your question, the basic answer is yes. It won't be fixed in the very next release, but Toady's promised to tinker with the remaining stress issues before starting work on magic. So the good news is that presumably translates to a stress-balancing release (more likely several over a period of weeks) sometime before the end of this year.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:34:20 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:38:55 pm »

Toady's been hinting at going ahead with more of the pre-Big Wait list after Villains recently, so there's plenty of time and no doubt a fair few releases to go yet. Hopefully each has it's own stab at perfecting the stress system (probably those after the initial Villains release though).

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:42 pm »

Glad to hear it. I was really excited for those military improvements and was starting to worry we wouldn't get to them this time around. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:01:38 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:25:56 am »

Glad to hear it. I was really excited for those military improvements and was starting to worry we wouldn't get to them this time around. :)
Well, we'll see, sure hope so.

Although I'm not sure how the forum can handle all this build-up to the Big Wait. It'd better be at least 5 years or some will be quite disappointed. :)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:12:52 pm »

We're trying to do one release, and it may not have the breadth of magical effects, but it has point A to point Z with creation myths, which we already have a generator for that's pretty varied, and then magic systems, and magical objects.

[..]

Yeah. Release, and kind of decide: do we do another three or four month essentially expansion pack of that, or do we do the law/property/custom thing and switch? And then it just goes back into the category of everything else in the game. Stuff is slowly added to everything, but it's not a concerted push anymore.

But I have a feeling that the concerted push on magic could last a few releases. Especially if it works really well, we'll be interested in doing three or four more pushes on it. So if the whole process lasts two or three years, I wouldn't be surprised. And I'd hope to have more than one release in that 2-3 year window, to keep it interesting and keep people  realizing the potential once they see the potential is there. Then we can do more.
Source

So it might be 1-2 years: creation myths as part of worldgen and some low-hanging fruit, then two more years of getting stuff added. How disappointed will you be? :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 08:57:13 pm »

We're trying to do one release, and it may not have the breadth of magical effects, but it has point A to point Z with creation myths, which we already have a generator for that's pretty varied, and then magic systems, and magical objects.

[..]

Yeah. Release, and kind of decide: do we do another three or four month essentially expansion pack of that, or do we do the law/property/custom thing and switch? And then it just goes back into the category of everything else in the game. Stuff is slowly added to everything, but it's not a concerted push anymore.

But I have a feeling that the concerted push on magic could last a few releases. Especially if it works really well, we'll be interested in doing three or four more pushes on it. So if the whole process lasts two or three years, I wouldn't be surprised. And I'd hope to have more than one release in that 2-3 year window, to keep it interesting and keep people  realizing the potential once they see the potential is there. Then we can do more.
Source

So it might be 1-2 years: creation myths as part of worldgen and some low-hanging fruit, then two more years of getting stuff added. How disappointed will you be? :)
Yeah, it was a joke, I'm not expecting more than 2 years.  :)

However, you should note that things have changed since that article. Notably the map rewrite ("that adds another 6 months to the schedule") and the sudden change to the usual routine to throw in a huge bunch of extras to make sure we have a fun, robust game to play with during the "years" of the Big Wait.

So, I'm thinking, if all this pre-Big Wait stuff is good enough, Toady's going to be happy with going a full two years without a release (besides fixing fatal crash bugs, which he promised to do this time around). Guess we should also allow for time off to escape oppressive heat, plus worldwide lectures which are both extras that previous Waits didn't have.

(Although last fotf, he was back to "if the map rewrite goes ahead". That would be kind of disappointing if it didn't.).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:58:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »