Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reading or copying fun slab in fortress mode (Spoiler)  (Read 1390 times)

htamos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • What a sweet little kitty
    • View Profile
Reading or copying fun slab in fortress mode (Spoiler)
« on: February 13, 2019, 02:51:55 pm »

I just wanted to try this, so i started in a 1x1 embark tile in a pocket world with 7 pop cap to keep FPS as high as possible.
After enough training and fighting in the caverns, i raised 3 titled hammerlords equipped in iron and steel and sent them recover 2 necromancer slabs with success.
There is a libary with assigned scholars and scribes, there is enough writing material (50+, both scrolls and quires)
Tried to just set the slabs in there, then i created a sculpture garden assigned to the library and the other one in a stockpile inside/outside the library.
Doesn't seem to work, but it could be i'm missing something.
So i came to the conclusion, that only books are readable?
I searched multiple threads, with no "good" answer to this question.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167993.0
I've failed to get them to read slab when embarking on necro tower, but perhaps your adventurer would be able to write down the secrets?
I just grabbed it in adventure mode and dropped in the stock pile fr scrolls and such near the library and retired him before going to it in fort mode, it was then stored with the books and copied down. Not sure if I had a fluke or something, just had it done automaticaly.
All of it doesn't seem to work, perhaps it's not included yet?
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by carp.
Urist stopped building bridge, interrupted by sponge.
Urist stopped building bridge: went insane.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
Re: Reading or copying fun slab in fortress mode (Spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:49:05 pm »

I'm not sure they will read slabs. Did you only get the slab? If you didn't, check the scrolls and codexes; some of them might contain the secrets of life and death as well. Here is two videos that a youtuber did on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MKsXIBXrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9h2Fima2s8
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:51:11 pm by DwarvenLord »
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 09:05:20 pm »

IIRC dwarves do not read slabs, only codexes, books, etc

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:16:19 am »

If I recall, what you need to happen is one of your dwarves needs to read the slab (probably as an adventurer with reading + writing), and then transcribe it into an other-dwarf-readable form, but dwarves won't read slabs just sitting around in your fort.  Then you have an army of necromancers, which... has its own !!FUN!! attached.