Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Important, life changing questions on mechanics  (Read 2047 times)

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Important, life changing questions on mechanics
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:49:56 am »

-Does body_size affect throwing damage, or bow/crossbow?

-When syndromes (vampirism) send your stats above 5000, do how significant is the increase? Could you have a husk with 24,000 phys stats?

-When a dwarf trances with legendary combat skills, are they basically invincible to everything but dust and webs? (combat skills supposedly have no cap)

-Is it possible to reach 1 tick per tile movement speed? Would you have to have no muscle and be a peregrine falcon man or something?

-How bad off is an elephant man for sneaking, if ambusher is high?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Important, life changing questions on mechanics
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:49:05 am »

sneaking skill is really there for if you are spotted in someone's vision cone which is hidden when you're not sneaking around but is always there being active.

if someone has their backs to you, an elephantpeople can and will have the upper hand on attacking them.
other wise the elephantpeople aren't that bad off sneaking around.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:41:59 pm »

- Body size has huge impact on wrestling from what I observed. So for throwing sure, as you won't be able to even maintain grab on larger opponent from you.

- My hero dwarf once in dark fortress did enter combat trance, when chopping heads of 500 trolls on his way out, after defeating a demon. He become legendary in ax anyhow, but combat trance did not save him from becoming tired. I had to pause him from time to time, while giving time to trolls to advance into him instead. So what bonuses gives combat trance? Still no clue. Maybe my peasant hero was over skilled already in too many skills for this combat mood to make a notable difference.

-1 tick? Like 1.0 speed? In my first month I had my peasant dwarf permanently traveling non-stop at 1.7 jog speed. Though once in dark fortress, I opened that one door with 100 beak dogs piled on other side. Despite super-dwarven physical stats it took 2 moves for all this dodging to get him tired and collapsing unconscious into his death.

If you plan to fight Buggy-men, train wrestling to legendary, endurance to superdwarven (swimming under bridge was it?) and when grabbed or having your ax stuck just simply back off. Buggy-men die surprisingly fast to steel ax hits on heads like almost everything else.

The only impervious (was too fast) for steel ax head-chop, I found only demon lord in dark fortress. Had to constantly dodge him, while very fast scratching like a furious cat set on fire... For steel ax to even penetrate his cloths, I had to scratch them into rot and make them fall off. Nothing else worked on him for some reason. Not even, when I started chopping off small body parts out of him. Striking skill for wins :D

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:21:50 pm »

- Body size has huge impact on wrestling from what I observed. So for throwing sure, as you won't be able to even maintain grab on larger opponent from you.
I think they were talking about projectile throwing.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:32:15 pm »

I think they were talking about projectile throwing.

I see. My bad. I had best success with throwing silver spears. Blunt damage was sorting out most of the annoying birds. Just range sucked, so there crossbow was coming into play. Body size could have an impact there, if it makes strength bigger. Though giving +1 in strength for peasant is enough already to get super-dwarven strength. I think body size mostly adds to weight and weight makes hero slower, which is slowing your throws and making them miss more. I think this is a reason why crossbow dwarves, goblins and humans prefer leather armor for. The weight.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:34:10 pm by Sarmatian123 »

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 05:14:12 pm »

-1 tick? Like 1.0 speed? In my first month I had my peasant dwarf permanently traveling non-stop at 1.7 jog speed. Though once in dark fortress, I opened that one door with 100 beak dogs piled on other side. Despite super-dwarven physical stats it took 2 moves for all this dodging to get him tired and collapsing unconscious into his death

Ticks are the measurement of the game's processing speed, and gaits are the player movement analog. The wiki kind of leaves a lot of details on how this works out, though. I'm not sure anybody knows the answers to any of this stuff anymore lol. If they ever did.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:25:31 am »

-Does body_size affect throwing damage, or bow/crossbow?
Power for bows/crossbows is based on SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL. It's in the item_weapons.txt raws. So sadly, no.

Body size does function as an attribute modifier. A large-sized dwarf with average STR is roughly equal to an average-sized human with average STR. Easy to see the above-average STR large-sized dwarf maintain a grab/grip on an average-sized human. Fun to see a large dwarf with the right strength outwrestle and ragdoll some "pure" (as in not a converted spouse) night trolls.

In regard to throwing? My haphazard guess is no as the skills that do rely on STR/size also train MELEE_COMBAT (fighter skill). Throwing trains Archer and itself.

-Is it possible to reach 1 tick per tile movement speed? Would you have to have no muscle and be a peregrine falcon man or something?
Yes. IIRC, either Putnam or Bumber had once said a dwarf moving at 1.000 walking speed takes 3 ticks to cross a tile. So a dwarf with superior/superdwarven STR/AGI can hit 3.x sprint speed. But even with superdwarven endurance, that pace would be hard to maintain. Disregard. Pretty sure it's 10 ticks per tile, so it'd be 3 ticks at 3k sprint. => http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163596.msg7453871#msg7453871

-How bad off is an elephant man for sneaking, if ambusher is high?
A little context is ambusher in version 34.11 used to confer invisibility and that ended with the 7/7/2014 0.40.01 release.

Quote from: peasant cretin
I'm probably misreading this, but similar to the movement speed/attack speed split of DF2014, it seems ambusher skill has become separate from visual stealth. Will NPCs like hunters and other archers occasionally display behavior where they path according to tiles that benefit visual stealth? If so, will this conceal their vision arc from the player?
. . . Ambusher matters in all the visual rolls, but yeah, sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are, if your placement is awful.  They should think about it more, but it's a difficult problem . . .

In regard to visual stealth, an elephant man can never have a good Average Non-Prone Profile or prone for that matter, and his/her size will also negate the In Vegetation factor. Visual stealth also favors vanilla DF dwarves and kobolds due to their 10K low light vision, allowing them to make the best use of time of day and adverse weather conditions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:26:11 pm by peasant cretin »

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 02:23:54 pm »

-When syndromes (vampirism) send your stats above 5000, do how significant is the increase? Could you have a husk with 24,000 phys stats?
Yes, stat boosting has an affect above 5000. If you were to somehow boost it too high (greater than 50,000 or so IIRC) things can become buggy, though, but I don't know if you can do that in vanilla.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Ubbul Atöl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 02:35:40 pm »

A creature's speed doesn't seem to be affected by their body weight, it is affected by their gait. You can change a creatures gait to this (see below) and get 10.00 speed.
According to the wiki "Currently, the maximum allowed speed is 100 ticks/100 tiles, or 1 tick per tile."

I doubt that these speeds are possible in unmodded DF.

Code: [Select]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:1:1:1:1:1:1] 30 kph
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Gait