Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 1396 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
General Questions
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:24 pm »

Have have two questions related to adventure mode.
1. If you become a vampire, then become a necromancer, do you still need to drink blood? Looked all over the wiki on both the necromancer and vampire pages.
2. Can you become the ruler of a civilization?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:32:37 pm by DwarvenLord »
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:02:12 pm »

1. According to the wiki, vampires do not need to feast on blood. Their stats simply become lowered as your thirst rises.
2. AFAIK it's not possible in adventurer mode, though it would be theoretically possible to start a fortress in a nearly dead civ, start an adventurer in that same civ, kill off the rest of the civilization, retire your adventurer in the fortress and reclaim it. You would be the last member of the civilization so you should automatically become the ruler as soon as you reclaim the fort.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:45:51 pm »

Alright, good to know... This doesn't seem related, but it is related. How do you load a previous save? And yes, I need to switch lycanthropy for vampirism in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173253.0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:59:00 pm by DwarvenLord »
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:04:31 pm »

If you saved over the previous save, then you don't. Otherwise, force quit the game and reload the previous save as you would normally.

I assume you did not back up your game.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:55 pm »

Well, third time's the charm, right?

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: General Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 05:36:17 pm »

Has someone modified, or knows how to modify, DFhack so it's only feature is Export legends? Because that is all I want from it. I don't want any of the autolabors, cheats, features, anything except the Export Legends. Why? Because Legends viewer works better with it and I REALLY want to see the legends of Ostarasp, my primary world.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:38 pm »

Has someone modified, or knows how to modify, DFhack so it's only feature is Export legends? Because that is all I want from it. I don't want any of the autolabors, cheats, features, anything except the Export Legends. Why? Because Legends viewer works better with it and I REALLY want to see the legends of Ostarasp, my primary world.
DFhack has a setup file. Open it and turn everything off. Easy.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:16:01 am »

I run DF with DFhack to export legends and run it without DFhack the rest of the time.  It works fine like that...  I'm not quite sure how you do that in Windows, though (I only have Linux).

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:00:27 am »

I run DF with DFhack to export legends and run it without DFhack the rest of the time.  It works fine like that...  I'm not quite sure how you do that in Windows, though (I only have Linux).

Easiest way (in windows) is to use LNP/PE's Starrter pack. Copy your save over to lnp's df folder/data/save, run the game and export your legends. Minimal hassle and you don't mess with your original install.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:33 am »

I just have a custom batch-file (well, one for each way) that switches the SDLs how I want it, on the odd occasion I might want to Hack a bit (just to play on a backup save¹ to plan something out before doing it the long way).

Having myself having manually ensured I have <SDLFile name>.dll.orig and <SDLFile name>.dll.hack (copies of the <SDLFile name>.dll. from both vanilla and the Hack version) at the point I first introduce a new vanilla install to the appropriate DFHack download, the HACK.BAT or BACK.BAT works according to the intention.
1) It checks that there's both .hack and .orig files (overkill, but failing if either is missing is just good practice,
2) It deletes the current .dll version, whichever it is (nothing to stop me re-applying HACK after HACK, or the other),
2a) ...and then fails itself if it still finds it (again, precautionary - noting that I've not bothered to check if it was there to be deleted, though),
3) It copies the chosen nuanced version with the un-nuanced usable name,
3a) ...and fails/warns if a subsequent check doesn't find that new version.

There's some additional little branches (and there could be more, to check the actually integrity and identity of the files, say; perhaps I could even "(H|B)ACK.BAT -register" to save me the onetime manual process on a new install?) and it's what I imagine the LNP does (in essence) for all kinds of activate/deactivate options at dir/file/config levels. Except I know what I want, and can do it for myself, so I do.

But horses for courses.

¹ For which I have a slightly more complex embark/seasonal-save swapping in/out batch file, too, that acts on savefile directories in an equivalent manner

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 08:03:47 pm »

Is there a way to cut yourself, or otherwise fill a container with your own blood? Also, If you attack a companion's home civ, will he turn on you? What if he's a vampire and/or a necromancer? (I think you see where I'm going with this.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:15:34 pm by DwarvenLord »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 08:34:37 pm »

Just to make sure, to play a downloaded save, you just need to move/extract the save file to the data/save/ folder in the dwarf fortress directory, right?