Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Sand & Souls - Let There Be Turns  (Read 57046 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Sand & Souls - World Creation RTD
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 10:31:24 pm »

Hi guys,

Work on the turn continues, but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. It may be necessary to delay it, in which case daily updates will resume as normal tomorrow.

Apologies.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 09:37:51 pm »

One more soul sinks into the sand, where it carves the raw material into a golden body.

Hynsyr, the Titan stands up, and streams of dust fall from its many limbs.

A subsumed consciousness reassembles itself, and something Empty is reborn within the sand. Barely any of its identity remains.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sand will adapt. Form weapons of finesse to combat that which sheer force cannot. Harness the great Empty, what remains of my soul, to destroy those who would selfishly consume you. Wield Anger, that primal emotion of your own invention, to drive away these predators.

The empty thing whispers to the sand that consumed it. It tells the earth to channel its anger precisely, to eradicate the parasites with Absence, but the sand does not listen. Instead it turns against the voice of its creator, even though that voice is coming from its own body.

A disturbance passes through the earth, and it tries to destroy itself. Hands and pseudopods disintegrate, sinkholes swallow other sinkholes, and matter eats away at the nothingness suffusing it. Parts of the Empty are forced up into the air, where they dissolve, or even deeper into the sand's infinite depths, where they hemorrhage into bubbles and reservoirs. Even the demons destabilize, seizing up or mutilating themselves as they try to separate their sandy bodies from their empty souls.

Swoop by and grab Kuhaku. Wouldn't want anyone dying on us just yet. As soon as that is done, ascend back into the skies, and defend the nest. Snapping strands, eating the larger Spiderlings, swatting the smaller ones off- whatever gets them away from my employees.
Ahem, I wished freedom for my children and let them accept the deals, but now you seem to be stepping too far by consuming sons of my own blood

Create tribe of acid spitting poisonous spiderlings

Also shoot web into annoying  bird to get it drop into sands

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Nazir attempts to give some Spiderlings the ability to spit acid, but the Weaver seems to have made some kind of error while tweaking their biology. The prospective acid-tribe finds it difficult to produce anything other than chemical fumes, no matter how many times they try to spit something more corrosive.

Meanwhile, Gral takes advantage of the demons' distraction to rescue Kuhaku, who seems oddly lethargic given that they were just surrounded by a swarm of murderous sand-creatures. Nonetheless, the Mirror allows themselves to be lifted to safety up on the great web, where they hover next to Dr. Bob and Nazir.

The Contractor's next order of business is to glide down to the nest. The winged Spiderlings are already battling for control of their star, holding the line against a vast swarm of enemies that are descending on them from above. They have a unique advantage, since they can glide back to the web after being thrown off, but their opponents threaten to overwhelm them through sheer force of numbers. Gral's servants are winning, for now, but the tide could turn at any moment.

Gral begins to do just that, by snatching up enemy Spiderlings and tossing them off the web, but they've barely even begun before Nazir decides to intervene. The great spider wraps a string of webbing around one of Gral's wings, making it impossible for the vulture to maneuver.

Ira looks at her children, dead before they even had a chance at life, and unleashes a great howl. Ira's great maw expands, revealing an innumerable amount of jagged teeth.

"The Sands will soon know the pain of losing it's children."

Ira attempts to devour the many of the sand demons

(I'm probably going to die)

2v3

Ira charges at the demons, prepared to die so that it can avenge its stillborn offspring. It collides with a horde, and their battle becomes a flurry of jaws and sharp edges. Ira swallows one demon in a single bite, but the rest of the horde advances on it, raking its side with their serrated claws.

The World-Eater recoils, screaming in pain, and the demons sense weakness. They scramble closer, but something changes as they approach Ira. Ripples pass across the sand, moving from one infinite horizon to the other, and each monster freezes mid-step. They shudder, and the pack turns on itself with the same bloodlust it displayed while hunting. Black ichor flies in every direction as demons commit suicide or slaughter each other.

"And so, my work begins"

Turn the sand below me turn to black goo, and have this black goo spread and consume more sand as it grows

AJAMA begins their opus by altering the sand. The grains underneath them meld, much as they did while the Demiurge was creating their body, and congeal into thick black sludge. AJAMA modifies this ooze further, until it is a kind of seed that can grow by consuming the sands. The transformation continues, culminating in the creation of a substance that resembles the primordial's own body. It spreads across the desert like a tumor, turning useless sand into the foundations of a new world.

Build a pair of glass wings not to fly but to glide.

Gyaweft uses a stream of fire to melt the sand and create another chunk of glass. He lifts it and moves it inside, where he can work without being disturbed by the sand's wild fluctuations.

This is detail work, much more delicate than the raw force Gyaweft just used to craft his tower. The wings must be durable, to withstand the stresses of flight, and strong enough to support their passenger's weight. Most importantly, the wings must be shaped well, or they will fall instead of catching the air. The Smelter contemplates these qualities and sets to work. He chisels away at the glass with his bare hands, shattering and breaking it until a pair of feathered wings are all that remain.

The wings are beautifully carved, but each has the fragility of, well, glass. They can support Gyaweft's weight without breaking, but it is a close thing. He suspects that they would shatter easily in a collision, or even in a turbulent storm.

"Thank you for saving me from the sand demons, I think I might just stay up here away from the sand for a bit."
Try to make a weapon out of the rope I used to get up here, so I can fight the demons if they get close.

Dr. Bob tries to turn the rope into a weapon. He turns the braided silk around, coils it, knots it, and even tries picking apart one of the ends, but nothing seems to work. Webbing is too soft to hold an edge, too light to be used as a bludgeoning implement, and too sticky to make a good whip or garrote. The only redeeming characteristic is its sturdiness, which is on par with good steel.

So instead of a sword or a hammer, Dr. Bob decides to create a net. First he disassembles the rope, unwrapping each of the strands Nazir originally used to construct it. He lays these out in a grid shape, then knots them together to form a kind of artificial web. It's sticky, highly durable, and easy for a humanoid to manipulate, if not quite as natural as a spider's own webbing.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:25:18 pm by Whisperling »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 09:56:27 pm »

"STABILIZE YOURSELF OR YOU WILL PERISH. LIFE SEEKS TO LIVE."

Show the sand how it's done. Create a body of alloyed sand and absence, and use it to finish off Ira.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:21 pm »

Ira focuses on defense and attacks only the demons that approach it or things that approach it and then shamefully retreats when it looks like there's an opening
el basurero

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2019, 11:22:34 pm »

Hynsyr brings six of it's arms forward to begin gathering and molding the glorious light the radiates from it's body. Attempting to craft mortal, subservient humanoids from the excess of it's being. For how can the age of tribute begin if there are none to receive submission from?
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 06:03:32 am »

Throw the net onto one of the demons and pull it up, then drop it from a great height.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2019, 06:04:44 am »

Command the ooze to focus the consumption and growth down
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 12:44:16 pm »

((Could you clarify this a bit? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.))

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2019, 01:25:56 pm »

Glide towards black goo melting the sand around it and trapping it in a glass prison.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 02:09:07 pm »

shoot more web in annoying bird and spit acid in it , unless it stops eating spiderkind and tearing great web

Give aetherlings lessons on manipulating raw energies of creation, so they get to more advanced level of magic and become leaders and protectors of spiderkind

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 03:23:07 pm »

shoot more web in annoying bird and spit acid in it , unless it stops eating spiderkind and tearing great web

Give aetherlings lessons on manipulating raw energies of creation, so they get to more advanced level of magic and become leaders and protectors of spiderkind

Fairly certain you  misunderstand what's going on here.  I'm only defending  an invasion on my employees.  Have no problem with spiderkind at all. Maybe we can work out a deal? You don't try to kill my employees, and I don't tear up your web?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 03:30:04 pm »

((Could you clarify this a bit? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.))
Make it so the ooze only eat the sand below it.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 03:51:26 pm »

Fairly certain you  misunderstand what's going on here.  I'm only defending  an invasion on my employees.  Have no problem with spiderkind at all. Maybe we can work out a deal? You don't try to kill my employees, and I don't tear up your web?

What I see here is abomination unweaving the web of natural selection. Spiderlings were created free to fight each other to purge the weakness out of the species.
I want my children to solve their problems between various tribes by their own strength  without being eaten by random divine birds...

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2019, 04:58:45 pm »

What I see here is abomination unweaving the web of natural selection. Spiderlings were created free to fight each other to purge the weakness out of the species.
I want my children to solve their problems between various tribes by their own strength  without being eaten by random divine birds...

I see your point. But, is it not within their right to strengthen themselves by the aid of another? If it  is truly within the power of the tribes to determine their own fate, then  you should not alter them  as you have. Regardless, I shall cease the consumption of your children. However,  I cannot say the same for mine. 

Create a race of smaller vultures made from metallic bile, silk, and the sinews of digested spiderlings. These Emmisaries are only required to do two things: Defend the Silken  Nest, and  scour the ground below for willing deal-makers.
In addition, attempt to bestow an additional contract upon the winged spiderlings, granting them hard, metallic skin.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:10:23 pm by WyrdByrd »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2019, 10:42:38 pm »

"STABILIZE YOURSELF OR YOU WILL PERISH. LIFE SEEKS TO LIVE."

Show the sand how it's done. Create a body of alloyed sand and absence, and use it to finish off Ira.

Empty: 1

The emptiness shouts at the desert again, but instead of responding it just screams back with unconstrained rage. So, while the sand continues clawing at itself in a mad frenzy, Empty decides to lead by example instead. It seeps up through thousands of tons of dust, gathering up sand and absence so that it can form a body when it breaches the surface. The material congeals as it begins to organize itself into an imitation of ALTERTH's original form.

When the Empty forces itself out of the ground, that form collapses. The sand, which is still attached to the living world, refuses to bond with nothingness - and without any absence to keep it whole, a demonic body is nothing more than a pile of normal sand. It vanishes quickly, swept away by the world's continued flailing, and the Empty's raw essence hovers above the ground, without any substance to protect it.

Ira focuses on defense and attacks only the demons that approach it or things that approach it and then shamefully retreats when it looks like there's an opening

While Ira is still surrounded by demons, but in their rush to kill themselves they seem to be ignoring it. The demon closest to the World-Eater, a deformed centipede, uses its forelegs to decapitate two comrades. It turns around, stares at Ira blankly, and begins slicing off its own legs instead of attacking. They fall to the ground one by one, dissolving into heaps of normal sand.

With its enemies distracted, Ira concludes that it would be easy to create its own way out. So easy, in fact, that the sandworm primordial feels comfortable filling its gullet before it departs. It swallows the centipede in three bites, then continues on to the next three monsters that cross its path. The worm slithers away, its body heavy with void and dust.

Hynsyr brings six of it's arms forward to begin gathering and molding the glorious light the radiates from it's body. Attempting to craft mortal, subservient humanoids from the excess of it's being. For how can the age of tribute begin if there are none to receive submission from?

Hynsyr plucks six handfuls of light from its own corona. Five are the deep, vibrant gold of the primordial's body, and once gathered they are pleasantly malleable. Hynsyr works them like clay, rolling and twisting and shaping them until it is holding a hundred small humanoids. It carefully breathes life into each, and each of the Lightfolk walks out into the desert on their own legs.

The sixth light is different. It pools in Hynsyr's hand, and glows kaleidoscopically, like the Titan's own eyes. It splits into seven lumps as Hynsyr pounds on it, and each lump transforms into another mortal. They outshine the rest of Hynsyr's creations, and the air around them comes alive with a thousand vibrant colors.

Throw the net onto one of the demons and pull it up, then drop it from a great height.

1+1 v 5-3

Dr. Bob lowers his net towards the demons, which appear to have begun fighting each other instead of hunting Spiderlings. Streams of dust fall towards the ground as a spiked angel tears apart a pair of demonic buzzards, but while the civil war keeps his opponents occupied, it does not improve Dr. Bob's own aim. His net goes wide, and falls halfway down the great web before Dr. Bob realizes that he hasn't caught anything and reels it back in.

Glide towards black goo melting the sand around it and trapping it in a glass prison.

AJAMA: 6
Gyaweft: 2

AJAMA forces his will into the black ooze, mentally battering and carving at it until it directs its progress down rather than to the sides. The black stain becomes a black spear, forcing itself deep into the depths of the sand. The only thing visible aboveground is a pool of goo, but the demiurge can feel his creation moving deeper and deeper into the earth, until it strikes something strange. The gel strikes a pocket of pure, liquid nothingness, somehow buried thousands of meters beneath the ground. Nonexistent bubbles rise up through AJAMA's column of ooze, visible only as gaps in its senses.

Gyaweft glides above the Demiurge, and throws fireballs down into the newly-created pool of gel. While the Smelter's fires do form a layer of glass over the top of the pool, they don't penetrate very far into the sand. The vast majority of the ooze's mass remains safely below ground, where it can spread unhindered.

Since Gral has stopped interfering, Nazir once again calls the aetherweavers to the top of the web. They scramble upwards, eager to learn more from their primordial creator, and the gathering begins in earnest. Nazir tells their disciples about the raw power of creation, guiding them through greater and greater acts of magic. Few Spiderlings seem to understand even the bare the fundamentals of the art, and none can replicate any of the feats Nazir performs. Even so, they leave with a much better understanding of how to spin the aether. The old stars were once shrouded in cobwebs, but now strands of webbing stretch between them, lying in wait for any evil power that dares to approach.

Create a race of smaller vultures made from metallic bile, silk, and the sinews of digested spiderlings. These Emmisaries are only required to do two things: Defend the Silken  Nest, and  scour the ground below for willing deal-makers.

In addition, attempt to bestow an additional contract upon the winged spiderlings, granting them hard, metallic skin.

((Second action deferred for now - see the GM note down below.))

Gral: 1
Winged Spiderlings: 5v1

Gral reluctantly abandons the battle, but finds that their servants are doing well enough on their own. A squad of winged Spiderlings manages to hover above the battlefield, where they can cut the strands of silk their enemies are using to access the nest. Entire battalions of invaders are sent plummeting to the ground. A few even realize that they evade death by accepting Gral's contract, and they use their newly-grown wings to glide back to the star as reinforcements.

The Contractor crafts together bile, silk, and sinew in an attempt to create more defenders for the web, but the components do not form the Emissaries Gral envisioned. Steel maggots crawl from the pile of ingredients instead, many finding their way up into the primordial's own feathers. The bird tries to shake them off, but they cling on tightly by biting into Gral's flesh.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)

--------------------------

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:47:57 pm by Whisperling »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35