Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35

Author Topic: Sand & Souls - Let There Be Turns  (Read 56319 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sand & Souls - World Creation RTD
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2019, 03:12:31 pm »

Forgive me my children, for I have failed you

as I completely vanish, weave last will message
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to the grand council of web among with blueprints  of

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2019, 05:21:55 pm »

"Gral is there any way I can fulfill a favor?"
el basurero

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2019, 08:33:30 pm »

The Absent Fire reaches Nazir just moments before the bull. It eats away his body, allowing Aton to put a feather-laden hoof directly through the Weaver's heart.

You killed my client, Bull.  One whose favors are seemingly far more valuable than yours. Tell me, how would you repay this murder?

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2019, 09:21:33 pm »

"I think you have me confused with someone else gral."
Ira focuses on healing her burns unless Gral gives her a task
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:23:46 pm by MrThrowaway »
el basurero

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2019, 09:24:35 pm »

I was addressing the one that killed Nazir. Depending on how this goes, I may need you soon.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2019, 10:21:09 pm »

The Absent Fire reaches Nazir just moments before the bull. It eats away his body, allowing Aton to put a feather-laden hoof directly through the Weaver's heart.

You killed my client, Bull.  One whose favors are seemingly far more valuable than yours. Tell me, how would you repay this murder?
"Don't know why would you consider a dead spider's favors more valuable than those of a living client, eager to negotiate. He clearly was unable to carry out said favors, so they were empty words without any value. Maybe we could reach an agreement? Say, would you aid me in uniting the spiderlings under my guidance in exchange of some favors, plus those you needed from your now deceased client?"
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2019, 03:51:37 am »

On the verge of sorrow, Ashe's face lightens at the sight of hidden fishies! She takes note of which fish were tagged, tags the closest fish, and then flees from those which are 'it' to play tag!
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 20, 2019, 10:00:51 pm »

"Don't know why would you consider a dead spider's favors more valuable than those of a living client, eager to negotiate. He clearly was unable to carry out said favors, so they were empty words without any value. Maybe we could reach an agreement? Say, would you aid me in uniting the spiderlings under my guidance in exchange of some favors, plus those you needed from your now deceased client?"
I'm afraid that wouldn't work out well. Like it or not, the Spiderlings are my neighbors, and they're pretty testy right now. Shacking up with  the one who killed their god isn't a good look. Besides, I doubt they'd listen to me, especially when said  god's last words were: "Don't listen to the Bull."
How about a counteroffer? We  call it a flat two favors, right here. One of those favors is for you to leave the Spiderlings unmolested until their  next Council is  called. It'll give them time to grieve, recover, move on from the loss. Maybe they'll find it within their hearts to forgive you, who knows? In return, you'll get to explore the world, find yourselves some new followers, whatever. It will be Pacted out, and reinforced with Bargain, so that both parties will be proofed  against any.... breaches.
How's that sound?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 21, 2019, 01:36:45 am »

Somewhere in the blasted battlefield where Nazir died, a tiny head pokes up out of the ground. Surveying the land, it sees lots and lots of fertile ash. The new primordial chirps in excitement.

What is your name?
Zeristia.

What form will you take?
A small worm made from wet, sandy soil, covered in moss. Her head is ringed with ten tiny red eyes.

What is your purpose?
To garden.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 21, 2019, 12:58:19 pm »

I'm afraid that wouldn't work out well. Like it or not, the Spiderlings are my neighbors, and they're pretty testy right now. Shacking up with  the one who killed their god isn't a good look. Besides, I doubt they'd listen to me, especially when said  god's last words were: "Don't listen to the Bull."
How about a counteroffer? We  call it a flat two favors, right here. One of those favors is for you to leave the Spiderlings unmolested until their  next Council is  called. It'll give them time to grieve, recover, move on from the loss. Maybe they'll find it within their hearts to forgive you, who knows? In return, you'll get to explore the world, find yourselves some new followers, whatever. It will be Pacted out, and reinforced with Bargain, so that both parties will be proofed  against any.... breaches.
How's that sound?
"Sounds fair... As long as you can guarantee that the spiderlings will also let me go unmolested. I have nothing against the Spiderlings or you."

Use my sacred light to blind the spiderlings around me one more time, and leave the area. I won't try to convert them, at least until the next Council.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 21, 2019, 10:12:27 pm »

How's that sound?
"Sounds fair... As long as you can guarantee that the spiderlings will also let me go unmolested. I have nothing against the Spiderlings or you."

Use my sacred light to blind the spiderlings around me one more time, and leave the area. I won't try to convert them, at least until the next Council.
Bind Aton to the Pact, ensuring debilitating conseuqences should he breach it. Afterwards,  check in on the Scrap-ranches.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #416 on: April 22, 2019, 07:02:49 am »

What is your purpose?
To garden.
((lol. My grandma incarnate.))
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 22, 2019, 06:55:28 pm »

((Gardening is important. Also we don't really have a bunch of plant life going yet, so I'd like to change that. Also this still lets me create lots of very interesting plant babies.))
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 22, 2019, 09:50:55 pm »

Having run its course, the flame consumes itself, and paradoxically ceases to be.

Having fulfilled its Purpose, the fire collapses in upon itself. It devours its own Nonexistent essence, exiting existence at the behest of a dead soul that still lurks somewhere inside. ALTERTH is not there, nor is the Empty, nor is Awake, but they are not Absent either. They become Nothing as the flames diminish, and are finally reduced to less. Their shared spirit drifts away on the wind, a fragment of a fragment, before the last wisp of burning essence finally becomes null. There is nothing left behind.

Death dies, and life is all that remains. Zeristia, the Gardener rises from the ashes. Her ten eyes open in rapid succession.

((I am bad at making decisions, just now I decided to make more decisions))
"Knowledge is a noble goal, creation, distribution and preservation of knowledge will be our goal for now, first, writing may be useful"
Have anyone who can't fly stand on the crusted ooze, then lift it and fly to the desert bus.
"Hopefully they don't remember where we live, cause if they do we're screwed."
Get to the drivers seat and drive out of there as fast as possible, if the deer demons manage to follow lead them out into the desert and lose them before returning to the tower.

AJAMA: 1
Fragments: 6
Dr. Bob: 3 vs. Deer Demons: 5

"Thank you."

The Fragments congregate on the crusted ooze, where they start discussing their new purpose. AJAMA sees the embodied ones scratching strange glyphs on the ooze platform. They seem to be recording information somehow, though the symbols themselves give the Demiurge a headache when it looks at them too closely. Each one inserts knowledge directly into the sphere's mind, in a way that reminds it of the telepathy that Fragments have been using to communicate amongst themselves. Receiving concepts this complex is actually a little painful.

AJAMA turns its gaze away from the mind-writing and lifts up the platform. It speeds through the air, Fragments in tow, until it comes to Dr. Bob's perpetual motion bus. The Deer-Men inside wave at them and shout something, but they're too far away for anyone to make out coherent words. The bus speeds away before AJAMA can get closer, leaving the Demiurge in the dust. Apollyon broadcasts a feeling of confusion with vague undertones of unease.

A few minutes later, three Deer-Men with black fur come into view. They're running faster than their physiology should actually allow, and as they approach a Fragment points out that they're actually dislocating their own legs and knees mid-stride. It takes only a few moments for the associated muscles and sinews to reorganize themselves, just in time to be damaged again when the creatures' feet hit the ground.

Elsewhere, Dr. Bob drives into the Wetlands and brings his bus to a screeching halt next to the Glass Tower's moat. The demons are all far behind him now. They followed the bus for a fairly long time before he lost sight of them, but it's unclear whether they actually know how to navigate back here. If they don't, he just needs to hope they lost his trail.

"Hmm, your name will be...Mati, yes, that's an alright name. Now come my child, hunt with me."

Meruem will now search for more prey alongside his firstborn, using the time not spent searching he'll try to improve his essence bladder.

2 , 3

The chimeric insect now known as "Mati" nods and follows its father out into the sand. They wander across sand dunes, past errant shards of glass and around pools of strange black ooze. No mortals or primordials cross their path, so Meruem passes the time by tinkering with the properties of his essence bladder. Most of its imperfections are a result of flaws in its lining. They act a little like pinholes in a waterskin, in that they make it possible for a portion of the captured essence to escape containment and dissipate into the aether.

Like a leak, this problem is also relatively easy to fix. Meruem plugs the leaks using a portion of his own essence, which he maneuvers directly into the lining of the bladder. Essence will still seep out of the organ itself, but it will bump into the insulative layer rather than continuing to disperse. The failsafe should work in most scenarios, though extremely dense essence could still potentially force its way through. Meruem also risks losing a great deal of his own essence if the bladder is damaged.

When he returns his attention to the outside world, the Spawner notices that Mati has come to a stop. He's looking down at a glass crater so large that its circumference must be measured in miles. Embers drift past them, presumably from the massive orange fires that are raging in the center of the pit. There isn't a single creature in sight, but Meruem can feel a high concentration of essence in the air. It's radiating from the center of the crater, which shines in much the same way as the stars.

Hynsyr will refine his mind splitting technique even further. Any amount of wasted time could be a deciding factor in the conflicts that have plagued the desert since the awakening of his kind.

Hynsyr's thoughts diverge, and his fragmentary consciousness runs through a familiar series of mental gymnastics. It takes only two or three seconds for a spear to appear in each of his hands, but the pieces of his mind still need to spend valuable time creating organizational schemes and assigning themselves to individual hands. The problem is made more complicated by the limited space in his head, which makes it possible for branches to interfere with each other if they think too loudly. To arm himself instantly, the Titan will need to remove that administrative delay altogether.

Before splitting his mind again, Hynsyr crafts a plan for each hundredth of his mind to follow. It's a simple procedure in which they assign themselves to a particular hand based on the order in which they awaken. It would've worked, too, if each branch actually woke up at a different time. Instead they all clamor for hand number one, occupying so much bandwidth that Hynsyr instantly blacks out. He comes to in a pile of solid-light chunks that don't even resemble spears.

After dismissing them, he stands up and tries another strategy. It involves dividing his mind into ten forks rather than a hundred. Each thought-stream will create spears in exactly ten of his hands, using techniques similar to the one Hynsyr used to arm his original twelve-armed form. It isn't quite as elegant as becoming a hundred different selves, but it poses less of a managerial conundrum. The ten larger pieces are more robust, even if they're less exciting. They can ignore each other for long enough to get a weapon in each hand.

Forgive me my children, for I have failed you

as I completely vanish, weave last will message
to the grand council of web among with blueprints  of

Nazir feels himself dying. His spirit is coming apart at the seams, strands of essence unraveling until they are nothing more than dust on the wind. He feels strangely powerful, even though the borders of his mind are also wearing thin. The secrets of the universe are revealing themselves, in flashes that pass before his eyes like aetheric constellations. His soul is shaken loose of his body, and for a moment his thoughts echo out into infinity. There are strange and wonderful things there that he longs to bring back to the Primelings, or perhaps to the group of Spiderlings who he once taught to weave the Aether. Some knowledge, like the end of time or the edge of the universe, is simply too vast to be contained within the mind of a mortal. There are other things, too, though. Every possible permutation of Aether races through Nazir's mind. He seizes a few of them and uses the power of his own death to send them back to the physical world.

His message arrives as a psychic scream that brings the Web to its knees. Spiderlings hear the Weaver's voice booming through their minds, resonating with regret and urgency. A few final instructions ring through the cosmos, implanting themselves upon the mind of every living Spiderling. They know, instinctively, what Nazir desires for them: to destroy the enemies of the sand, to stand strong against the Bull, and to spread beyond the known boundaries of the world. Next strange technologies are described to them. Nazir grants them Aetheric schematics for weapons and vehicles and armor, everything that they might need to thrive in his absence. All gain from the experience, but only the most powerful Aetherweavers understand enough to extract useful information. They each record parts of the message in strands of aether and silk, forming a body of information that should, in time, allow them to unlock the secrets of their inheritance.

It is perfect and imperfect at the same time. Nazir wishes that he could stay, to mentor the Spiderlings and provide them with their full birthright, but almost none of his self remains. The last wisps of identity dissolve, and his soul returns from whence it came.

Ira examines her burns critically. They're not particularly significant injuries, but with Gral tied up there isn't much else for he to do. She curls up on the ground and rests, turning the injured portion of her back up into the air so that it won't be irritated by the sand. The burns gradually start to scar over at the edges as the World-Eater's supernatural metabolism does its work. This situations is strangely relaxing after all the battles she's been through recently. Before long she finds her mind drifting off, and then dozing off. The world around her fades, replaced by a similarly infinite dreamscape. At first she is tunneling up through the sand. There should be something up above her. She remembers a place full of air, where the other primordials made their home.

She digs for what seems like an eternity, but she still can't reach it. The world above is gone, if it ever existed at all. There's only an infinite expanse of sand, pressing in on her from all sides. Tendrils form to drag her deeper, as if that would even make a difference. Eyes form to leer at her, demons and strange avatars to tear her flesh apart. The sand laughs as it presses in. Here it is still alive. Ira tunnels and bites but she can't stop it. The world is indestructible and as infinite as it was the day ALTERTH awakened it. She digs her way into a cavern. It's safe there, until stalactites of sand descend on her like colossal teeth. They chew her up and crush her bones.

Ira wakes up with a start. None of her wounds have healed.

On the verge of sorrow, Ashe's face lightens at the sight of hidden fishies! She takes note of which fish were tagged, tags the closest fish, and then flees from those which are 'it' to play tag!

Ashe tags a vibrant red fish and paddles to the other end of the lake. It isn't as easy to maneuver out in the real world, where they're working within a series of lakes and rivers rather than a whole ocean, but despite that the game proceeds fairly well. The yellow guppy doesn't get tagged this time, presumably because it swam away too quickly, but the red fish actually manages to tag her back by hiding itself underneath a fern. It jumps out of the foliage just as she's about to pass by. All she sees is a flash of red before the fish retreats back to its hiding place. She brushes through every plant frond in the lake, only to find that it buried itself underneath some mud in the lakebed. Just as she's about to tap it on the fin, she notices that the plants are far larger than they were a second ago.

Yellow stalks grow from the bottom of the pool. They rise until they reach the surface, then continue until they're at least five or six times as tall as Ashe. Then the stalks grow thicker, and tiny seeds start to appear at the tip of each plant. They seeds scatter into the air, patter down to the water, then begin growing into new Omni-Grains at the same astounding rate as their predecessors. Even then, the tide of golden wheat doesn't stop. More stalks grow, threatening to bury the nymph under a thousand tons of plant matter. Her fishy friends are nowhere to be seen.

3 v 6

Aton directs another pulse of power into his disk. Sacred light continues to flow from his body, blinding the Spiderling troops, but instead of an overwhelming flash of radiance it comes out as more of a prolonged whimper. The light gutters, only barely strong enough to capture the Spiderlings' attention. A few, particularly the ones outfitted with Pacts from the Merchants, gather the mental fortitude to pull themselves away. They rain acid and spells down on Aton as he plods away. While his disk is still bright enough to throw off their aim, a group of Sentinels cuts off his escape route with a pool of acid. He stumbles around it, enduring a rain of matter-disintegration beams that strip away the outer layers of his skin.

Salvation comes after his negotiations with Gral. The Ironwinged, Bone Fortress and Merchants immediately withdraw, leaving Nazir's own legions to fend for themselves. With their demigod leaders wounded or burned to death and most officers entranced, the forces of the Great Web have no real organization. It takes them only a few minutes to realize their command structure has collapsed. After that most of them retreat in a blind panic, carrying the their wounded on silken stretchers. Aton leaves at a significantly slower pace due to his various injuries, particularly the increased weight of his hooves.

Bind Aton to the Pact, ensuring debilitating conseuqences should he breach it. Afterwards,  check in on the Scrap-ranches.

5 , 2

A Bargain is struck and a Pact is forged. Metaphorical chains of obligation settle over Aton, binding him to the contract that they have agreed upon. They hang over his head like the sword of Damocles, balanced on a thin thread of silk. That thread will snap if the terms of the Pact are violated, allowing the Bargain to take its due. The consequences for Aton would be dire, perhaps even irreversible. In Gral's estimation, that is entirely just. An oathbreaker deserves nothing less.

The Scrap-Rances have settled into a routine. They're mostly overseen by Ironwinged, who also use their flight to transport goods from place to place. Couriers have become used to moving massive piles of scrap metal up to the Iron Nest, which has created a subset of particularly adept fliers within the Ironwinged population. The other Ranch workers mostly help the Shardforms work with the Steel Grubs. Larvae can still be dangerous, even after their transformation into livestock. While they're docile enough, their increased size makes it safer to handle them with large crews of workers. When the Ranches are short on labor, they generally choose to leave one or two of the Grubs unsheared rather than risking accidents.

The Ironwinged report something strange happening to one of these untended Grubs. After growing larger for about a week, it curled up and stopped moving or eating. Its metal exterior has frozen in place, becoming a thick shell vaguely similar to the pupal casings that the Shardforms recovered from the Bog.

Spoiler: Souls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: World (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 09:52:52 pm by Whisperling »

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2019, 10:08:14 pm »

Meruem will take a deep, long breath of delicious essence. And spawn as many beings as he possibly can, they will be the quantity to his and Meti's quality, the backbone of his whole hunt. And they'll be called...Fire Vespas.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:10:39 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35