Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gender specific title inheritance?  (Read 709 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gender specific title inheritance?
« on: December 28, 2020, 04:34:43 pm »

Hey there, I noticed that the Elven Monarchs were all Queens and I wanted to see what made it so in the code. I saw that they had a [GENDER:FEMALE] tag on them that made it so the Generals/Princesses/Queens were all female. I found that interesting and tried to experiment to see if the opposite could be done so I changed the files for the Mountain civilization (Dwarves) so that the Monarch would always be [GENDER:MALE], but I didn't remove any of the other tags (including the one saying that if there is a female monarch that she would be called a Queen, etc). When I ran a quick 250 years world just to see how inheritance panned out, I noticed that the game seems to have ignored the tag and both female and male monarchs appeared on the list of the civilizations. Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I think I actually just got confused with the files because I'm using Linux. Will check if that is the case and then I'll tell of my findings.

EDIT2: Well this is embarrassing lol It seems it was just me working on the wrong files because I wasn't used to the Linux newb pack. It is working fine now.

EDIT3: Just to give a follow up on my "research", I have found out that the [GENDER:MALE] tag promotes what seems to be a softer version of the Salic Law, in which although women do not inherit, they can pass on their titles to their male heirs. This is very interesting and I saw it at play when Duke Zasit Paperlanced died without agnatic heirs. His son had become a monk and thus was excluded from succession. His grandson from this son died tragically in a fight against a creature. But his daughter had a son and he inherited the Duchy! I found this incredibly interesting. Much more complex than I thought it would be!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:21:54 pm by VABritto »