Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which game makes you feel most like a wizard?  (Read 1676 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which game makes you feel most like a wizard?
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:26:14 pm »

As the title says, which game makes you feel most like a powerful magic user?

For me, regardless of their flaws, it's the Elder Scrolls series - none really managed it the same way.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Which game makes you feel most like a wizard?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 02:19:49 am »

Dragon Age Origins. There's nothing quite like loading yourself up as a minmaxed elf arcane warrior/blood mage and trivially soloing Golems of Amgarrak.

And then there's the ridiculously OP 3-mage party with Wynne acting as the tank by being an arcane warrior/spirit healer, the PC and Morrigan specced towards nuking builds, and throw in an archer rogue as the fourth party member because there wasn't quite enough DPS in that setup as it was. Everything melts within the first 5 seconds of a fight starting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:34:59 am »

Move it into the Other Games forum.

As for my answer, I guess Divinity: Original Sin games, largely due to the robust environment system and a lot of spells to experiment with.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:18:18 am »

The Wizards for VR.
You best way to feel wizardy is by throwing fireballs and lightning by actually throwing fireballs and lightning.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 03:47:02 am »

What was the name of that old mage focused rpg again? Arc Fatalis or something? Yeah, I never played it much, but it usually comes up when talking magic games.

Dragon Age Origins. There's nothing quite like loading yourself up as a minmaxed elf arcane warrior/blood mage and trivially soloing Golems of Amgarrak.

And then there's the ridiculously OP 3-mage party with Wynne acting as the tank by being an arcane warrior/spirit healer, the PC and Morrigan specced towards nuking builds, and throw in an archer rogue as the fourth party member because there wasn't quite enough DPS in that setup as it was. Everything melts within the first 5 seconds of a fight starting.

They call me the Magic Metrologician for the frequency of arcane storms ocvuribg where ever I point
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:57:10 am »

What was the name of that old mage focused rpg again? Arc Fatalis or something? Yeah, I never played it much, but it usually comes up when talking magic games.

Arx Fatalis, yes. It hasn't age very well but it has the most interactive magic system that I know, where you have to draw you spells/runes in the air.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:17:02 am »

There's an oooold game, Legend: Son of the Empire, the sequel to one sold in the US as Four Crystals of Trazere.

For the most part it's a party-based dungeon crawler, where you take four characters through a series of dungeons collecting pieces of the amulet of Yendor some amulet.

Where it shines though is in having an immensely flexible magic system. You can create all your own spells for the party's Runecaster, using several direction conditions and a battery of effects.

For bonus points, my brother and I learnt to play it without the manual, and the spell creation menu is anything but intuitive. Slaving away wasting ingredients to figure out an effect, only to spoil it again a moment later is part of the wizarding experience, right?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 11:57:20 am »

Magicka, bar none. The sheer power at your disposal, how quickly it disposes of you if not carefully controlled, the arcane sequences of elemental addition that result in more complex creations, the signature spells people develop and adopt as their preferred ways of handling a given obstacle... It's something truly special.

Unfortunately, all things come to an end... And this is true of Magicka as well. Doesn't help that the underlying game and netcode stability are pretty horrible, so the excellent experience that is co-op tends to be squashed by the aggravation that is getting it all set up.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 02:13:42 pm »

Spellbreak

Gods willing this game might actually get an adventure mode someday.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 03:08:13 pm »

Why aren't you suggesting Counter Spell kagus
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:37:03 pm »

In Verbis Virtus also deserves mention.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 04:03:58 pm »

What about the first Fable game? Sure, it was a letdown in a lot of ways, but going to the ol' guildhall to study and learn more spells could certainly scratch at least part of that itch.
Also I remember the high-level spells being really satisfying.

Oh and there's always Dragon's Dogma! Whether it's swords or sorcery you're after, that is one of the best games every made.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:13:04 pm »

Why aren't you suggesting Counter Spell kagus
Because that makes me feel like a counter wizard, duh.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 07:46:47 pm »

I was rethinking this thread and this might be a bit counterintuitive but Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

I mean in a strategy game where every hero* could become immortal and solo whole armies by just spamming the aptly named and unbelievably easy to get “potions of immortality”, magic users were on a whole different level of broken.

Your enemy has an overwhelming amount of ranged units? Disables each and every one of them for the rest of the combat.
Is your enemy holed somewhere where you can’t target him? Meteors auto hit everything.
Enemy has an extremely powerful unit? Turn it against him.
Castle towers give an extreme buff to the defender? Teleport your units in those towers to get those buffs too.
Enemy has spell immunity? Buff yourself so much you can one shot the sucker

*for anyone who hasn’t played the game: heroes were fully customizable in terms of what skills they could learn.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 11:36:50 pm »

It's not strictly making you feel like a wizard, but Dominions 4 and 5 have a great magic system with a lot of strategic depth. The only game which really gave me the feeling of being a powerful wizard lurking in wait to design more spells is Daggerfall, which you've almost certainly played.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: [1] 2