Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which game makes you feel most like a wizard?  (Read 1675 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Which game makes you feel most like a wizard?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 11:49:49 pm »

I always liked The Elder Scrolls' approach to magic, where every stat a character has can be affected in a number of ways, you can make your own spells and potions with any number of said effects in a variety of forms (self, touch, area, range, area at range, etc.) I also like how it's presented in the story, with magic being just another field of science that has been studied at length.

I also like games where you cast spells by combining syllables, such as Dungeon Master, The Consuming Shadow and later games in the Ultima series.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 12:36:49 am »

The problem with TES's magic system is that it strictly adheres to the "Gallerion school of magical education" nonsense, when the lore of the world indicates that "Magic is fucking infinitely capable bro. you just have to "think different.""

Specifically, it does not allow you to "think different!" outside of using mods.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 01:00:04 pm »

Yeah TES was the only one that really did it for me - there are a lot of games where you get to 'blast things' but that doesn't feel much like being a wizard in terms of the 'gandalf engrossed in magic tomes and potions' style.

There was a great skyrim alternate start mod where you could start as a necromancer's thrall who breaks loose after his master dies. You start in a cave with very little except a few magic bits and can go on from there.

It's the only game I've properly RP'd, and it was quite an experience - building up a proper potions lab, enchanting stuff to sell etc. Unfortunately Skyrim falls apart after a while because it's just not quite solid enough in the simulation department and I hated the College of Winterhold stuff.

Daggerfall is also excellent for that, but sadly a bit dated now.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 02:00:40 pm »

What about Fictorum? I got it recently on a sale. You play a wizard from a renegade order of uber powerful mages, which was destroyed by the magical inquisition (kind of magical regulators? I think). That same inquisition tried to execute you by tossing you into the natural disaster which your renegade order apparently caused. They failed and now you're out for revenge.

The game itself is basically a power trip. You get ever more powerful spells and wipe out armies and fortresses by yourself.

I find it really cathartic tbh  :P
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 [2]