Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: The Dwarven Language Codified  (Read 74732 times)

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Language Codified
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2019, 10:53:43 am »

I think the Milol idea is a bit too obscure and specific. I imagine it is simply a synonym without much semantic difference (despite the orthographic difference).

I booted vanilla DF and tried the names Babyyawn and Yawnbaby. Yes, Åm has two entries. Perhaps this was a mistake from Toady? Oh well, I guess we have yet another quirk to add to the list. Perhaps there is a pronunciation difference, sort of like how "record" can be either a noun or verb, depending on whether the first or second syllable is stressed.

Sure, Rurast could mean form or shape. That would help fill a gap in the lexicon, so I approve!

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2019, 11:04:20 am »

I think the Milol idea is a bit too obscure and specific. I imagine it is simply a synonym without much semantic difference (despite the orthographic difference).

I booted vanilla DF and tried the names Babyyawn and Yawnbaby. Yes, Åm has two entries. Perhaps this was a mistake from Toady? Oh well, I guess we have yet another quirk to add to the list. Perhaps there is a pronunciation difference, sort of like how "record" can be either a noun or verb, depending on whether the first or second syllable is stressed.

Sure, Rurast could mean form or shape. That would help fill a gap in the lexicon, so I approve!

I will revert all the Milol in the Annals to Etar then since I want Ultèrzefon Dwarven to be very standard so as to serve as a good example of the standard language.

I think Åm is the only case in the entire lexicon with two entries with the exact same form. I think it can only be interpreted as a contextual word because I can't imagine it having a different sound when it has the exact same vowel marker (with there being so many to choose from). A way to make it clear for context is to call a yawn a Åmgutid and a baby an Åm-longBobrur

Should the Dwarven language be called Arkimtalul or Ultèrtalul? Some nations instead of calling their language "[Nation adjective] Language" calls it "the common language" or something of the sort (e.g. 普通话, Pǔtōnghuà, 'the common speech', how China calls Mandarin).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:49:39 am by VABritto »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2019, 11:56:18 am »

I dunno about "the common language"...

The worlds of Dwarf Fortress are pretty tightly packed. Dwarves are a minority in most of them, and other peoples can cultures are often only a day or two's march away. I don't think dwarves would be so narrow-sighted as to consider their language the "common" one.

"Dwarf-language" works fine as a language name. If you were feeling poetic, you could do something like "The Old Tongue" or "The Stone-Tongue" or whatever.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2019, 11:58:58 am »

I dunno about "the common language"...

The worlds of Dwarf Fortress are pretty tightly packed. Dwarves are a minority in most of them, and other peoples can cultures are often only a day or two's march away. I don't think dwarves would be so narrow-sighted as to consider their language the "common" one.

"Dwarf-language" works fine as a language name. If you were feeling poetic, you could do something like "The Old Tongue" or "The Stone-Tongue" or whatever.

I imagined it as being Common in the sense Among Dwarves. As in, there could be many local dwarven dialects (as there are usually more than one dwarven civ and many settlements) but they have a common tongue among them. But either works for me personally. Just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone had a preference. I loved the poetic ones though!

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2019, 12:43:05 pm »

Arkimmasos. Dwarftalk. Maybe the second M could be removed to make Arkimasos.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2019, 12:54:17 pm »

Why would you remove the extra m? double consonants at syllable boundaries are not ucommon and to be expected.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2019, 01:04:12 pm »

To make it easier to spell. However, I included that "maybe" because I was uncertain whether it was a good idea. I suppose we could keep the double consonant.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2019, 04:15:23 pm »

To make it easier to spell. However, I included that "maybe" because I was uncertain whether it was a good idea. I suppose we could keep the double consonant.

Given the agglutinative nature of Dwarven, I think keeping the double Ms increase clarity and makes it easier to discern in case of giant string word

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »

Arkimmasos. Dwarftalk. Maybe the second M could be removed to make Arkimasos.

Arkimmasos sounds very colloquial. I think it is a perfect colloquial word for Dwarven. But I think a more formal word should sound more polished, using the word for Language, Speech or Tongue for example

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2019, 10:20:28 pm »

Finished all the S, SH and ST nouns. S is the most common consonant in Dwarven. I believe it might be because the letters S, SH and ST are counted seperatly in a way that S becomes disproportionately larger.

38 out of 43 entries done.

You can check out all the entries already published at Dwarven Dictionary

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2019, 10:34:15 pm »

That's a mighty labor you're working there! I look forward to its completion. :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2019, 08:14:25 am »

That's a mighty labor you're working there! I look forward to its completion. :)

We'll get there little by little lol I have almost finished all Nouns. After that I will move to other types of words and then I will add the non-vanilla approved ones.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2019, 08:17:07 am »

Pun phrase:

Udos var-udiz Tabarlod og Udos var-udiz Tadarlod

Men are loyal because they are mortal.

Here the word -lod (one) is being used as a means to define someone as being that quality (as in Loyal One, Mortal One) etc. And like English One in this context, I understood that Lod could be seen as a singular or plural word (e.g. noble ones) so as to carry this function.

This phrase would be a cynical saying said by some as if to say that people are only loyal because they are afraid of the consequences of not being so.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2019, 08:47:00 am »

I like it! That is a good pun and it sounds like something dwarves woul say. Well done!

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2019, 10:08:44 am »

Solitarian, could you please send me (or write here) a list of all the non-vanilla words currently in your lexicon?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16