Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: The Dwarven Language Codified  (Read 74690 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Language Codified
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:16 am »

that's a huge amount of work

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2019, 10:31:03 am »

that's a huge amount of work

True lol but I've been doing it little by little so it isn't being that hard

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2019, 11:58:09 am »

Finally finished all entries for nouns. Now I will move to verbs. The number of words exceeded post limit so I made another post. The first post is from A to L and the second post is from M to Å.

ALL ENTRIES DONE.

You can check out all the entries already published at Dwarven Dictionary A to L and Dwarven Dictionary from M to Å

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:06 pm »

Bravo! Now I can copy that into a .txt file and easily peruse the lexicon. In fact, I bet your Dwarven dictionary will be useful for mods. Perhaps it merits a separate post? Maybe not, as it contains some words which are specific to my codification. But that might make my codification used in mods, i.e. my codification would become more accepted and official!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:36:38 pm by Solitarian »

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:22 pm »

Bravo! Now I can copy that into a .txt file and easily peruse the lexicon. In fact, I bet your Dwarven dictionary will be useful for mods. Perhaps it merits a separate post? Maybe not, as it contains some words which are specific to my codification. But that might make my codification used in mods, i.e. my codification would become more accepted and official!

I'm fine keeping it here personally. If you could link to it in your OP I would be grateful. What did you think of the format of the titles in Dwarven? (Ilthîkut Arkimtalul'üb A'ar L'ishob / Ilthîkut Arkimtalul'üb M'ar Å'ishob) Now I need to put up adjectives, Verbs, prefixes etc.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2019, 02:10:10 pm »

Sure, I would link it but... I don't know how. How do I link a post?
I'm not sure what you're asking about the format of titles. What do you mean?

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2019, 02:48:06 pm »

Sure, I would link it but... I don't know how. How do I link a post?
I'm not sure what you're asking about the format of titles. What do you mean?

Quote my last post and you will see the hyperlinks to the dictionary. "Dwarven Dictionary from A to L" and "Dwarven Dictionary from M to Å". Those link up to those two segments of the dictionary. If you could copy and paste these links to the OP it would be good because then people can immediately find them.

What I mean by format of titles is that I translated "Dwarven Dictionary from A to L" as "Ilthîkut Arkimtalul'üb A'ar L'ishob" and I wanted to know if this looked good to you.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2019, 03:04:04 pm »

Finished all the Verbs from the marked vowels.

20 of 43 entries done.

You can check out all the entries already published at Dwarven Dictionary A to L and Dwarven Dictionary from M to Å

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2019, 03:48:55 pm »

Linked!

I think your titling of the dictionary is a bit awkward because you use the letters as nouns, though I understand that is the most sensible title. Maybe you could call the first post the "first book" of the dictionary. This seems more lore-friendly to me anyway, as many of the early real life dictionaries/encyclopedias/etc. were separated into several books.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:22 pm »

Linked!

I think your titling of the dictionary is a bit awkward because you use the letters as nouns, though I understand that is the most sensible title. Maybe you could call the first post the "first book" of the dictionary. This seems more lore-friendly to me anyway, as many of the early real life dictionaries/encyclopedias/etc. were separated into several books.

Makes sense, will do that then!

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2019, 11:57:41 pm »

One question: has anyone tried to codify the other languages yet? (e.g. Elven, Goblin etc)

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2019, 02:44:19 am »

I don't think so.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2019, 07:29:49 am »

They're pretty similar, though. Just different vocabularies for the exact same words.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2019, 09:27:20 am »

They're pretty similar, though. Just different vocabularies for the exact same words.

Aye, and different phonetics. But it would be cool if someone made them grammatically different. I'm actually thinking on doing something like that if anyone was interested in helping me. I think Elven looks aesthetically pleasing

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2019, 12:34:57 pm »

I think I figured out who, in universe, would be the compiler of the Dwarven Dictionary in my world. I was looking through the scholars of Olonmebzuth (a Fortress in my world that holds the Kingdom of Titthalaban's Library of Rovol Lûk). It is a pretty multiethnic place with scholars from all over the world. Its founding member was an elven lady philosopher called Sidaya Famimeimici from the Forest Retreat of Fayobaelale. She independently discovered in the 31st year of the reign of King Lokum Etur's son (109 years after the founding of the city) the concept of Language Dictionaries. Given that she is still alive to this day (1051 years after the founding of the city), being a whopping 1234 years old, I figured she'd be the author of the first Dwarven Dictionary. But I will look through all the other scholars in the Kingdom's history to be sure if that seems more likely or not.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16