Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: The Dwarven Language Codified  (Read 74675 times)

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Language Codified
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2019, 01:15:47 pm »

I like to imagine that Armok gave the first dwarves a dictionary at the beginning of the world, and since then the dwarves have (not) merely followed its instructions.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2019, 01:20:08 pm »

I like to imagine that Armok gave the first dwarves a dictionary at the beginning of the world, and since then the dwarves have (not) merely followed its instructions.

That's a good view too lol I'm just making it up for my world in particular and sharing. I love how DF is detailed and I notice you can get a surprisingly vast amount of information just by rummaging through the logs. For example I just found out that Sidaya's master Liceÿi Themualino of Thitíaritha discovered language dictionary as a technology almost two decades before Sidaya. It's pretty interesting that we actually have that. We can actually find out who first discovered writing for example. So I like to imagine who actually made these things in my world :P

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2019, 05:16:48 pm »

One day, i made a world, and there were only 4 library in the whole world. I played as in adventurer and visited all of them :)
I love the fact that they exist, it's really unique in a game.

I didn't know writing was in the "invented" things, though ?

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2019, 05:36:37 pm »

One day, i made a world, and there were only 4 library in the whole world. I played as in adventurer and visited all of them :)
I love the fact that they exist, it's really unique in a game.

I didn't know writing was in the "invented" things, though ?

I think it is but I might be wrong. I have yet to find someone who invented it, but I am still just in the beginning of my "research" in my world. But if anyone can confirm or not that this is a thing I'd be grateful

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2019, 12:52:28 am »

I was looking up Sumerian and I find it rather funny that it looks A LOT like Dwarven.

Here's a lesson on the language: https://youtu.be/rrsIW0akb6o

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2019, 01:35:52 am »

it's very interesting that the "letters" can have a meaning by themselves.
So my brother found that JHWH (i don't want to discuss its pronounciation here :D) already means "Hand", "Hands raised for prayer", "Nail", "Hands raised for prayer" - which leads to the conclusion that god introduced himself to the people with a name pointing to the crucification a thousand years before Christ.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2019, 02:05:13 am »

If it's like egyptian, most vowels aren't written.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2019, 04:05:15 am »

Ah, Digital Hammurabi! I know of them. They make many informative videos and cooperate with other Youtubers.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2019, 07:20:27 am »

Ah, Digital Hammurabi! I know of them. They make many informative videos and cooperate with other Youtubers.

I found it interesting that Sumerian doesn't have gender, doesn't have necessarily a plural and has verbs that work similar to Dwarven lol EDIT: It's also agglutinative like Dwarven
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:53:17 am by VABritto »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2019, 04:06:17 pm »

Could you post a translation of the first article of the human rights ? It's usual when you have a language (on wikipedia, at least).

" All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

What does this give in Dwarven ? (you can use "dwarves" instead of "human" !)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2019, 04:55:31 pm »

Could you post a translation of the first article of the human rights ? It's usual when you have a language (on wikipedia, at least).

" All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

What does this give in Dwarven ? (you can use "dwarves" instead of "human" !)

I had to make some stuff up, but here is my take (explanations are in the NOTES) :

Mulonarkim nóton-udiz'ver Eshimlod lok Tinöthlod Zengod'ok lok Kìrar'ok. Arkim rurast-udiz'ver Ograd'esh lok Unolmisttar'esh lok nikot-zilir'shoveth Mulonlod'ish Aludubal'esh.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood

NOTES:

Mulon - Mulon(ak) is used as an adverb for all or every, but we needed an adjective so I am using it as such for All/every dwarves.
Rurast - means guise, but I also use it to mean form or shape. Rurast as a verb thus would mean to form or shape. To be formed, to be shaped here is the direct translation and I am using it in the sense of "to be endowed" because I do not think the meaning here is to be "given", but that they are naturally like that.

Unolmisttar - Unol means Soul, Misttar means knowledge. In other words, Soul-Pertaining Knowledge would be a word for Conscience. Had to make that up because there isn't even a word for "Self" in dwarven.

-zilir'shoveth - -zilir is the imperative. -shoveth is the hypothetical. I put both together to make an instructing state of 'should'.
"Lod'ishob lok Lod'ishob" - I am using this "Towards one and towards one" as an expression, one and one being used as One and another. As in mutually so.
Aludubal - Brotherly Spirit
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:03:15 am by VABritto »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2019, 05:19:00 pm »

Impressive...most impressive.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2019, 05:39:05 pm »

Impressive...most impressive.

Thanks lol Solitarian will most likely find many errors and will bring it into proper dwarven standards when he sees it though. We'll have to wait and see. I tried to do what I could xD

EDIT: If I could I'd have used an expression like "Self Knowledge" or "Self Reflection", but alas they don't exist yet.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:42:44 pm by VABritto »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2019, 03:46:32 am »

Reply from Toady to my question :

Quote from: Inarius

Have you seen the "Dwaven Language Codifier" here ? And if yes, what are your thoughts about it ?

(http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173289.0)

Yeah, I've seen it!  I think it's a cool project.

Since some of the analysis applies to all the languages (since they are underspecified but have a lot of similar characteristics), it's important to note that we're going to end up having to blow a lot of stuff up with procgen, if we can get it to work.  Though I've been wanting to do that for years and haven't had time.  And as with the myth stuff vs. the creature types etc., I really don't know precisely what 'default' is going to mean, or what sorts of vanilla language notions will remain intact.  Presumably, with the editor examples etc., there might even be a more and more fixed version of things.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2019, 05:23:15 am »

Huh, I just now saw the translation of the human rights thing. Odd. How did I not notice that two weeks ago? Anyway, the translation looks good, though that -zilir'shoveth thing seems odd to me. It works grammatically, and I can't think of a better translation for "should", so I think it is acceptable. I think Unolmisttar is a great translation for "conscience". The word science comes from the Latin verb "scire", which means "to know", so "soul knowledge" is not far from the English word. I don't like Lod'ishob lok Lod'ishob, though. To me that seems awkward. Maybe Mulonlod'ish (between many ones) is better?

Toady likes it! Hooray! I'm not sure what you're talking about, though. Blow up with procgen? What does that mean? Myth stuff vs. the creature types? I don't know what you're referencing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16