Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding npcs using visual description  (Read 980 times)

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
Finding npcs using visual description
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:09 am »

So I'm sure we've all had to go through that tedious process of greeting every npc we see after reaching the site somebody who is "well travelled and would probably know" is located at. Well I think it would be nice if we could ask somebody for a description of whoever it is we are looking for. Then, npcs who roughly match that description could start blinking while we are looking for them, making finding the person in a crowd much easier than greeting every single person individually. Instead just talk to the blinking ones who match the description until you find him/her.
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Finding npcs using visual description
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 02:32:23 am »

+1
I suppose this could be done with some new submenu to [l]ook where you can either choose to search by recent descriptions, specific people you already know the appearance of, or a custom selection of physical traits. The last would be for finding the person with the biggest, roundest nose, or finding really handsome people to help lure in others to your vile schemes. The menu itself should be searchable by name of the person who told you, physical description, and name of the person you're looking for.

I could also see this working for crime investigation: "Just one day ago, the Hall of Blisters was stolen from Bravefells. The thief had very thin lips and a raspy voice." You could then look for that kind of person without knowing strictly who did it, or harassing every single bandit.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:53:17 am »

If people in a site actually knew where other people in their site were, that would certainly help
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:14:47 am »

Reminds me of a "focus"-like command in a MUD of my past enjoyment. It just acted in the background to sort of auto-examine all examinable objects to a specified string and alerted you to any matches. Tired/injured NPCs could be highlighted, glints of silver/gold in visibly worn adornments likewise, things that might indicate they are hidden doorways could perhaps be given prioroty. Just the one check at a time, upon entering their 'room' (or them entering yours) and as a separate thing to watch (low/medium/high) for perception checks against actual covert, or perhaps as an additional layer upon everything deemed practically perceivable.

If you were looking for Urist Thingowner, the alleged owner of Thing Uristowned The Artefact Of Artefactuality then either "Thing" or "Urist" could be given as your desired focus, but you might still have to deal with Urist Otherfellow wearing Thing Ordinarycloak or any other match. (Practically, a string-match would be more 'game-like' than the more 'real' "Taller than average dwarf with auburn beard" or "Scepter with red gems encrusted in its handle", but whatever the focus type is it should prompt you to check, perhaps even take up your attention at the expense of standard observational skills vs other notable surprises, and be broady aimed so that false positives demand your attention as you poke your nose into every room and around every corner in the hope of a visual correlation of use to you.)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:42:20 am »

If people in a site actually knew where other people in their site were, that would certainly help

In human villages and cities they actually do.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:57:53 am »

In human villages and cities they actually do.

Huh. Ive never had any luck beyond "X is in [town name]" and then I never find said person
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:04 am »

As far as Rumrusher's investigations go, they don't, not really at the least. You'll need to catch a histfig, I guess.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 06:28:48 am »

Huh. Ive never had any luck beyond "X is in [town name]" and then I never find said person

They say, X is in building Y in this direction.  They do that in human and elf settlements, they do not however do anything similar in dwarf or goblin settlements.  A lot of this has to do with how the underground is so horribly bugged. 

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:58:40 pm »

As far as Rumrusher's investigations go, they don't, not really at the least. You'll need to catch a histfig, I guess.

Im still very sure that the Q log doesn't properly load things when you tab into another character. Because i think character locations are actually Site level knowledge, not character level, so it would only be used by AI and not show up there.My experience is the same as GoblinCookies.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:01:12 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com