Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Hunters of Darkness: Council of Nine (9/9)  (Read 6446 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters of Darkness: Council of Nine (7/9)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 01:23:16 pm »

Notice: Good start to ya all. Makes it interesting. For some good drama. Especially the news wars (look at now) and idea for dirty business practices for cash. Next time I post, will present a situation.

Oh and if  Occult wants a tgauoneter, take funds that you think will cover making it and from there I rule results. Like a Arms Race, just your working together instead of two teams ca.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »

As far as generic threat assessment, the Occult Department suggests a thaumometer, or 'magic detector.' This would make it easier for anyone on an away team to locate active, or recently active, arcane constructs: summoning circles, portals, and the like.

tests on #7 and #4,

While I would not presume to speak for my colleague, I would certainly prefer if Science simply asks for my input before starting in on the 'tests.' Anyway, in my experience there's little to distinguish a – *ugh* – "muggle" human from a human who practices the occult unless you catch them in the act; analogous to the way there's no simple test to pick a computer hacker out of a crowd when they aren't coding.

I suppose that might not hold true for deeply immersed individuals, but in that case having a magic detector to scan for residual energies is still the best bet, in my opinion.
My apologies.  Perhaps I was somewhat hasty in my plans. However,  it is perfectly possible that such opponents may be unusual in other ways, such as extraterrestrial or technological entities. Creating a classification and identification mechanism for such threats would benefit  every Department of our organization, including yours. On the topic of magical detectors, consider Science wholeheartedly behind you in such developments.

I’d also prefer if you asked our permission before attempting to run tests. We’re your colleagues, not some of the people you’re fighting. There’s no need to be quite so forceful.

Anyway, any tests you choose to run on me are unlikely to give you results similar to those of anything else. My abilities are derived from the copying and theft of metanormal powers from others, not any capabilities that I can use independently.
True. However, those capabilities in it of themselves might prove useful down the road. Finding a way to replicate metanormal powers may serve to bolster our Department  in certain areas, while implementing methods of power dissolution could provide a  permanent solution to otherwise harmless individuals, without resulting in body bags.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 02:41:32 pm »

I have a way we could save some money when it comes to outfitting our troops for a bit, we could use some old outdated equipment that is sitting in warehouses and some of the stuff that was captured in previous wars that's now sitting forgotten in warehouse, while it won't be the best stuff its better than tying up our limited budget in newer weapons.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 02:57:40 pm »

I have a way we could save some money when it comes to outfitting our troops for a bit, we could use some old outdated equipment that is sitting in warehouses and some of the stuff that was captured in previous wars that's now sitting forgotten in warehouse, while it won't be the best stuff its better than tying up our limited budget in newer weapons.
That could  certainly be useful. Once we get more concrete readings on our opponents, further equipment can be created as necessary. How would you say our Project is viewed  by the troops?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »

Well, that's better. The principles of a thaumometer are well-known, at least in my circles, but I've never had to make one that's, ah, "field operative." I wouldn't mind some assistance in that regard. I also hesitate to recommend a budget for the project without more input from the whole council on its relative importance; to be honest, occult study is on par with grad-student-for-life levels of income and I'm rather more used to scrounging and making do than having millions of dollars to throw about.

Quote from: Thaumometer ((inspired by electromagnets, because once you have a magnet you can detect other magnets))
A basic magic detector suitable for use by field operatives without a lifetime of magical study. The homemade version can be as simple as several loops of copper wire, an incense stick, undyed silk, and, optionally, about a hundred grams of depleted uranium. The bulk of our design work will lie in testing various types of crystals for 'sympathetic receptivity' to be used in place of the incense stick; we believe crystal arrays will lead to advancements in miniaturization. A simple integrated logic circuit and LCD display is connected to the detector array for output. Ideally, multiple detection arrays will be implemented so as to better triangulate range and strength of the signal. The uranium is for a sort of grounding/discharge function, else the detector will tend to accumulate magic and become unusable without thorough scrubbing; if our sponsor or our shell companies can't come up with any we can still progress on the rest of it. The whole thing should be packed into a rugged, handheld plastic case. Budget: ??

-----
Any way you folks can suggest Occult might contribute to our income stream will be welcome, but there's a reason the economy is dominated by fast food and tech companies instead of chanting monks. The things we usually do don't exactly sell in the marketplace.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 04:20:11 pm »

-----
Any way you folks can suggest Occult might contribute to our income stream will be welcome, but there's a reason the economy is dominated by fast food and tech companies instead of chanting monks. The things we usually do don't exactly sell in the marketplace.
Well if there is anyway that the Occult can influence people or their choices. I'd certainly find that interesting, such things might be useful in attempts to cover up.

Hotfire90

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 04:37:09 pm »

Well if there is anyway that the Occult can influence people or their choices. I'd certainly find that interesting, such things might be useful in attempts to cover up.
That would be quite useful indeed. Occult items could also prove themselves quite useful when my agents "discover" them amongst the possessions of persons of interest.

Since funding might become a problem, I'd be happy to assist in any hostile takeover or coercion of rival businesses,

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 06:06:37 pm »

I'm  by no means as business  savvy as Nine here,  but isn't there an already established "occult" market?  Certainly, it has nowhere near the amount of panache and  credibility that more conventional industries retain, but that could work  to our advantage. Selling  legitimate wards to this community could serve as both a  steady income stream and a method of preventing more insidious groups from influencing them, through the contacts and knowledge gained and the products themselves.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 06:46:48 pm »

And now first threat.

Rolled. “ 7”

——

Out in the area of Russia, a strange sort of ripple occurs, a localized well Of energy “quakes” the Sky, leaving fracture marks. As from this dark holes things poured out for five seconds. Then back to normal.

Cue a nearby village, farmers working, children playing. Over all as good as it gets, Cue a child with a ballon off to visit his father. When suddenly a massive shadow, akin to the Incredible Hulk, But with chitin plates, large powerful hands, one hand scooping the child as balloon goes into the sky as father saw this, attempting to pitch fork the thing, metal parts break. As the critter then launches out a long frog like tongue, that punches through his chest, exposed spine and viscera burst as he fell while kid got eaten.

Shadows out of wood work reveal more of this bastards.

- Cue a brief, small time army intervention, in the end does not work. Got, footage of what the. Hell is going on.

- Mission screen turns on, Cue Russian voice.

“ Council, within two hours ago a anomaly opened in our territory, we lost a village and our basic military, cannot stop them. Please, help us. We are trying to contain, them..”

Cue footage of the Hulk lizard/big monster things. Gee, going to need big fire powrr. “ Guns work, we are trying to outfit our men with enough though, it will take a while, please. Assist us. We are second highest bidder for funding your basic budget.” Screen off.

( Oh I know you guys are working hard with planning and stuff, but shit will happen and gotta Hero Up. Now such a time.)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 07:01:48 pm »

Work time. I'm going to need to manufacture a big scandal to keep people distracted. If the Russian government is willing to poke at the Ukraine a little we can flood the regional and international news with discussion of the incident and keep any news of military activity against this thing and any missing villages buried.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 11:16:57 pm »

Influence people? I doubt I can offer anything more effective than ordinary marketing and consumer psychology already provides. Unless you mean spiking water supply with a love potion after we corner the market on . . . no, forget I said that. We'd need tons of the stuff and no good way to control dosage. One handicap with magic is that historically we've never gotten a good handle how to mass produce most of it; the Project is breaking new ground so I have to be cautious in what I promise, at least to start. I know there were several experiments with radio and television that went nowhere: probably for the best, considering the potential for abuse. Not that we can't try for ourselves, but that's real blue sky territory.

Now, covering up . . . erasing memories I can probably do, if I find the right tome to consult. Maybe something alchemical, a drink we can give people to forget they saw . . . THAT. When they wake up with amnesia we'll say it was UFOs or something. That's how it's done in the movies, right, cover up the real aliens with a story about aliens that's obviously fake? But this is for firsthand witnesses, controlling stories that reach the media isn't my department.

Meanwhile, who's taking on the lizard guys? I mean, I might have one or two offensive tricks up my sleeve but it looks like they'll respond better to grenades and other boom type stuff.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:30 am »

I all ready have a feeling that regular guns wont do shit to these things, so I say we bring whatever explosives we can bring in there, like rocket launchers, grenades, artillery pieces, and maybe anti-tank rifles. I also say we ask Russia if they'll let us borrow any of these items to use along with anything we bring with us.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 01:10:34 pm »

Cue Al, short for Alphonse making the calls with the council, he wears a ornate mask in place to apparently keep his soul anchored to his body. Eats by means of iv tubes. Currently well enough.

Well everyone, the Russians agreed to use our fire arms. And willing to go up to five mil just to buy now to help kill these things.

Troops are mobilizing as we speak.”

Those blue eye slurs turned red at last part, hates violence though it was needed.

Against the Horde

Rolled: 16 Of 20

It was a brutal conflict, many had died. More of those critters did apparently as heavy arms and such blew past plates or blew them up. Afterward I’ve specimens are infact alive and as tide turned, tentacles of light erupt out of a blue portal. Tanking those survivor monsters away.

Soldier: What the Hell did we just see?”

Media Wars:

“ So they say a massive insurgence took place. The Russians and some paid us muscle drove them back. I say to you. How stupid are you people!? The alien bugs in your brains are laying eggs of lies. Lies I say. The footage 12 hours before in that spot. The “hole” and shadows coming out. What the hell people?! It’s the damn ap-

“ Cut! It is obvious Mr Joes used pixelation and SFX for the effect. Plus you all know how he talks. Just a attention whore. And that is how New is. It’s fake in it’s fabricated facts or opinions.”

So yes media wars and so far the veil is holding up.

Al: Well if the research team be so wise. Could study the new creatures. And please come to a decision.

: Cue engineers approaching Occults leader: “ If you like we will do a model now.

50k- simple- results.,

Fully functioning meter device to detect magic. In theory can make bigger ones to scan planet or space things. Sadly the new monsters are not magic, readings do not go off. Though, some of Occultist stuff does. And no, reader does not go off on Occultist presence, debunking that magic is a blood talent thing and more force of will with training.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 10:47:07 am »

Soldier: What the Hell did we just see?”
It was some robots that were filled with hallucinogenic gas, and it was all a training mission.

Hotfire90

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 01:30:47 pm »

I suggest that we thoroughly investigate the area around the portal, it may have left some traces behind.

What's everyone's take on this? The portal seems occulty, yet the monsters are definitely not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8