Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress' Version of Spider on TP  (Read 1445 times)

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress' Version of Spider on TP
« on: February 21, 2019, 08:31:56 pm »

I was going about my business and had been running this reclaimed fort with little to no trouble for about an in game year, getting everything sorted and figuring out where everything was, just struggling because apparently there are no trees at this fort. For awhile I thought a lack of water and a lack of trees is what made the whole place get abandoned. See, the carvings made early on on the fort walls to mark our return were about how 200 years ago it was ravaged by a forgotten beast, but I hadn't seen any in my adventures. Then, one day, the manager opened up one of the old bedrooms to claim an item he somehow knew was in there, and he activated an ambush. See, my experience with ambushes so far has been hostile creatures that are not a part of my group that have decided to live in the fort I'm claiming. Living there for a year made me wonder what the hell it was. And that was when we found it. The forgotten beast that had originally destroyed the fort. A massive one eyed humanoid tarantula with lacy wings and a poison bite. I stared in disbelief for a full minute, trying to figure out what I would do because we only had about 15 total dwarves at the time and only two were official military because there was too many things that needed to get fixed and arranged. I quickly added three more experienced warriors to the only military squad and assigned them to kill the beast. The manager tried to run and was doing really well... until he ran into a bedroom. As the beast slaughtered and began to eat the manager, I quickly locked the door, stationed my military outside the door after I was sure they had their equipment. I debated leaving it locked in there but assumed that it would eventually tear the door off the hinges if I didn't do something about it so I unlocked the door and took the beast out with limited problems. No more dead dwarves at least. Now our first manager is in a display case next to the beast and both of them have a memorial slab in front of their displays. If 8 goblins hadn't come by a month later while a child was struggling with trying to make an artifact using wood we don't have(possession fyi) and crippled half of my now 10 dwarf squad, I would take some time to do more engravings in hopes our victory can be documented.

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress' Version of Spider on TP
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:16:11 am »

Update: Knocked a hole through the museum floor to get access to cavern water and the child made a pretty kickass mica instrument he named Velvetsteams... Think I'll give it to the mountainhomes because I think it is probably going to dissapear if things continue as they have.

Humanitygot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 06:30:51 am »

The down squad is different from the others and we can see that a better solution is necessary

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:03:49 pm »

The down squad is different from the others and we can see that a better solution is necessary
Took me three reads before I got what you meant and I do agree. A military of some sort is needed, but clearly some dwarven engineering is the only path forward. Perhaps I can pump the cavern water up a ways and re purpose my old capital punishment drowning chambers into a simple hallway design. Create an entryway which can be sealed and filled with water to eliminate the invaders.... Or try to make the hallway into a giant smasher, but that won't help against bigger foes. I'll look into something dwarfish when I next hop onto it.

I've been thinking of making goblins trainable and then starting goblin slave pits, but I suspect that is more complicated than I think it is.... Besides, I think there is something about morals in there and ethics... I mean they are goblins so they hardly count as 'people' but I like to think of dwarves as better than owning those disease sponges... Even if the dwarves do use whatever clothing wasn't destroyed in the fighting.

Edit:Just saw that won't work, but I think cage traps will still let me sell caged Goblins to people so we will see how that goes. I don't see the benefit to killing them if I can make them into trade goods instead...

Edit 2: Actually, killing them gives me goblinite.... Invaders are a difficult problem to figure out how to monetize in my favor.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:11:07 pm by Blackchibisan »

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:53:25 pm »

So, I settled for putting cage traps just inside the door to the fortress proper(That is right, door as in one, as in only the manager and a steady line of dwarves delivering trade goods should be going in and out) and using my military to slay the Goblins after luring them in close. Found out as time went on that apparently the dwarves were all but dead when I reclaimed this fort so there are a lot of goblins to slay before we are through and my fort is apparently a beacon to the dwarven people. The Hillocks are springing back to life and looking to me for guidance. We are also now a barony but I haven't seen if we have a proper Baron yet.

To invite others to see our glory, I am having a tavern built outside the fortress that will have golden floors, zinc walls, and all the furniture will be silver and encrusted with gems. I want them to really really really wish they were dwarves.

Edit: Actually, if anyone can think of a neat project to undertake other than wiping out all the goblins and training for the inevitable forgotten beast, I'm all ears. I'm riding this fort out until the bitter end.