Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: List of Major Things to Do in Adventure Mode?  (Read 8182 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
List of Major Things to Do in Adventure Mode?
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:00:50 pm »

Im looking for major things to do in adventure mode for a playthrough.  My current goals are "standard" adventure stuff like training, fighting some egabeasts, becoming a vampire, then a necromancer

but thats using my knowledge from years ago.  Ive also heard to go find a vault.  Is there a list of stuff like that to do?

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: List of Major Things to Do in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:15:39 pm »

Really, there's not much to do in Adventurer Mode other than what you listed yourself.
It's more about creating your own challenges and story.

As Tarn Adams himself said, Adveturer Mode is very "flat".

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:40:57 pm »

Really, there's not much to do in Adventurer Mode other than what you listed yourself.
It's more about creating your own challenges and story.

As Tarn Adams himself said, Adveturer Mode is very "flat".

You are joking right?

Yes its about making your own story but theres a ton to do.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:45:26 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 02:42:38 pm »

Im looking for major things to do in adventure mode for a playthrough.  My current goals are "standard" adventure stuff like training, fighting some egabeasts, becoming a vampire, then a necromancer

but thats using my knowledge from years ago.  Ive also heard to go find a vault.  Is there a list of stuff like that to do?

Theres plenty to do in adventure mode, you could become a bard and travel around performing at inns.
You could go seeking out artifacts for folks and become a legendary  treasure hunter.
You could become a hearth person and do quests for your lord.
You could hunt great beasts and become a legendary beast hunter.
You can kill a bunch of bandits and become a protector of the defense less.
You can become  a bandit and rob people (you can even join a bandit group, and become  a bandit leader)
You could go into the woods and build a cabin.
You can hunt animals and sell their meat and make stuff from their bones and sell those and get super rich.
You could raid a kobold cave.
become a necromancer and build your own necromancer tower with your zombies.

Raid a vault get the slab and get a pet demon.
And on and on.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:55:47 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 03:23:46 pm »

Honestly I feel like adventure mode is majorly underrated. There's quite a bit more to do there than many players give credit for, though you do have to approach it in a bit of a different fashion from your standard roguelike in order to make it fun.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »

Adventurer mode is the underrated gem in an underrated gem. It's not so much about "doing stuff", altho you totally can, it's about experiencing the world directly, looking at how it was shaped by its history and interracting with its inhabitants. Like it's one thing to lowkey understand there is a border dispute between your kingdom and its neighbour, it's another to be followed and spied on by a squad of trained cardinal birds until you leave the area.

I really adivse to read the story of Cog, the blind drunk, to see what the game can do in term of generating emergent stories

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:46:38 pm »

Adventure mode's loss of gameification and many half finished features make it feel a little dead to me in comparison to prior releases. Usually, I will go out and do something memorable and fun, then a kink in the system stops me dead in my tracks. I'll go out and destroy a massive underground bandit camp, then I won't be able to recruit an army like I planned because the conversation system broke and I can't mention killing any of them, or any of them in general.

There's still plenty to do. I like to do heroic deeds to build up my reputation, and then build up an army of the best soldiers from all the civilizations, to act as the protector of my home in war. But don't be discouraged if a problem stops you from doing this when you should be able to, just keep going 'till you can.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 03:50:12 am »

Be a bard. Although without story it can become boring fast.

If you can find scrolls or quires you could write down stories, poems and all that kind of things. That could work nice if you leave them at a site you go on play in fortress mode.

Likewise you could bring hard to obtain seeds to a fortress location and start production of golden salve and sunberry wine after switching to fortress mode again.

Still on my to do list is sending an adventurer to a site were I have lost a few squad members in fortress mode. To see if I can find any of their equipment. Maybe I can even sneak in and hear them talking about the attack.

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 08:33:44 am »

I like it best in combination with Legends Mode. I discover something interesting in Adventure Mode, then afterwards check it out in Legends. Alternatively I find something in Legends Mode then find it as an adventurer.

I feel one pretty major thing you can do is create an adventurer, then retire them after a while and let time pass in Fort Mode, then after a few months or years see what they've been up to. Sure, you're not actually playing Adventure mode when doing this, but it can still create some interesting results. My friend retired an Elephant Person adventurer, who was a Hearthperson of a hamlet lord, and later found their Adventurer had conquered a Goblin Dark Pits.

The Villains Update is going to be fantastic for Adventure Mode. There's the more advanced character creation, but I bet it's also going to be a lot of fun trying to uncover criminal organisations - or getting involved with them yourself.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:30 am »

so far what I got for adventure mode megaprojects are
-use the zone assigning to stockpile enough people you possible can before your pc melts.
-build a small local villa in a camp,
-climb mountains and hope your adventurer writes an autobiography about it... after finding and teaching them how to write an autobiography.
-write a bunch of books.
-build a small survivors outpost in a Zombie survival mod.
-that demon pet/bride/groom thing.
-befriend an ghost and get them to settle in your camp.
-move into a player fort and conquer the world through use of 1 person(the adventurer)
-talk ill of the dead and get a dead person more infamous than they were when they were alive.

the dumb stuff I usually think about in DF that probably not doable Vanilla wise
-dive deep into Dfhack and pilot around a mobile campsite and slam it into as many locals and into the ocean to make yourself a private island
-tame bogeymen
-make zombie-bogeymen
-play a hellworld where daemons are abundant enough to become bandits... also bogeymen.

though in my time of poking around advmode most of stuff to do is mostly what can DF let me do with dfhack, and how do I unlock the hidden content that only pop up on a rare occasion.
also I probably should figure out how to make custom rumors in DFhack and see if that rumor system really works or not.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. 

I made a guy in the AdventureCraft mod who forged a silver sarcophagus and filled it with the skulls of every named thing he killed, then used that to crush more bandits and semi / megabeasts with.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 10:36:01 am »

It's gotten a lot better since world activation, but yeah, I personally wish we could ask more information from people and it would become more interesting to interact with histfigs.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 09:02:42 am »

You can also become dwarven Socrates and convince people of your beliefs.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 11:39:31 am »

You could become an assassin for hire, assassinating everything from a peasent who displeased a local lord to a particular necromancer to the leader of a dark fortress. Once the villan update arrives, of course.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).
Pages: [1] 2