Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: List of Major Things to Do in Adventure Mode?  (Read 8181 times)

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
Re: List of Major Things to Do in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 10:29:39 pm »

The most fun I ever had in Adventure Mode was when I made a corrupt politician (tons of social skills but no fighting skills), had him recruit a small band of soldiers, hunt a vampire, hack it to pieces, gather that vampire's blood in several dozen mugs, then feed the blood to influential nobles in his home town and out them as vampires. In lore, he was trying to become the ruler, so he would infect them and renounce them for being monsters, leaving no one left in the town influential enough to become Lord except for him.

It was fun because it was a "natural" ascension, so the townspeople didn't hate him for becoming lord and thus there were no insurrections.

About ten years later (a combination of fortress mode and intermediate periods of random adventurers who rarely went anywhere in their careers), I returned to him, infected his hearth-people as vampires, then renounced his lordship, essentially passing it on to his vampiric successors. He then traveled to a vast flatlands a medium distance away from the town and designated a camp, building a great tower. I used the remainder of the goblets filled with vampire blood and made a ritual chamber, where prospective vampires could be transformed (in lore) and join him. This was before the artifact update, but I believe adventurers could still name their weapons and make them artifacts, so he would collect "legendary" weapons from other towns by killing the lords and taking their knives, then name them and put them on display in the treasure room. Finally, he filled the main hall with coffins, a feast table (where he put the bodies of the aforementioned lords), and a throne. I then retired him and made eleven more adventurers, all having them travel to this tower and drink of the goblets, then become his hearthpeople. And so, "The Council of Twelve" was born.

Fast-forward a few years through Fortress Mode again, my fort dies, and I make a new adventurer. Step into the shoes of my vampire hunter. She starts with the politician's home town, ruled by vampires and living in fear of a vast criminal organization living beneath it. As it turns out, many of the vampires have even left the town, blending in across the world. She then began her quest to hunt down all vampires in the world, both the 26 I had created and the 12 that existed naturally in the world, with a vow that she would return and wipe out the Council of Twelve once her mission was complete. I made her exclusively stick to leather, hoods, and cloaks, avoiding any metal armor asides from the odd boot or lone gauntlet, refusing to have matching pairs to help accentuate her Van Helsing-ness. Her weapons? A wooden spear, and a silver short-sword, with a bronze crossbow and silver bolts that she used rarely.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 11:42:23 am »

The most fun I ever had in Adventure Mode was when I made a corrupt politician (tons of social skills but no fighting skills), had him recruit a small band of soldiers, hunt a vampire, hack it to pieces, gather that vampire's blood in several dozen mugs, then feed the blood to influential nobles in his home town and out them as vampires. In lore, he was trying to become the ruler, so he would infect them and renounce them for being monsters, leaving no one left in the town influential enough to become Lord except for him.

It was fun because it was a "natural" ascension, so the townspeople didn't hate him for becoming lord and thus there were no insurrections.

About ten years later (a combination of fortress mode and intermediate periods of random adventurers who rarely went anywhere in their careers), I returned to him, infected his hearth-people as vampires, then renounced his lordship, essentially passing it on to his vampiric successors. He then traveled to a vast flatlands a medium distance away from the town and designated a camp, building a great tower. I used the remainder of the goblets filled with vampire blood and made a ritual chamber, where prospective vampires could be transformed (in lore) and join him. This was before the artifact update, but I believe adventurers could still name their weapons and make them artifacts, so he would collect "legendary" weapons from other towns by killing the lords and taking their knives, then name them and put them on display in the treasure room. Finally, he filled the main hall with coffins, a feast table (where he put the bodies of the aforementioned lords), and a throne. I then retired him and made eleven more adventurers, all having them travel to this tower and drink of the goblets, then become his hearthpeople. And so, "The Council of Twelve" was born.

Fast-forward a few years through Fortress Mode again, my fort dies, and I make a new adventurer. Step into the shoes of my vampire hunter. She starts with the politician's home town, ruled by vampires and living in fear of a vast criminal organization living beneath it. As it turns out, many of the vampires have even left the town, blending in across the world. She then began her quest to hunt down all vampires in the world, both the 26 I had created and the 12 that existed naturally in the world, with a vow that she would return and wipe out the Council of Twelve once her mission was complete. I made her exclusively stick to leather, hoods, and cloaks, avoiding any metal armor asides from the odd boot or lone gauntlet, refusing to have matching pairs to help accentuate her Van Helsing-ness. Her weapons? A wooden spear, and a silver short-sword, with a bronze crossbow and silver bolts that she used rarely.

I love doing stuff like this. I always try to get my adventruers a cloak and a hood, or a cape and a hood, but the hood is necessary :P
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 02:37:30 pm »

That's awesome fully realized roleplay. And your vampire hunter!

Always end up D&D rangering my character these days. Funnily enough, saw a Creighton Broadhurst post on my FB feed yesterday: http://www.ragingswan.com/iisak-vartia/ ---- pretty much encapsulates what I like doing in Adv Mode and why I haven't genned a world since Fall 2016 with any bogeys. Rangers gotta sleep outside.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:32:17 am »

Yes, I am quite fond of the Post-apocalyptic Hellworld Ideas. When the Big wait starts, I'm gonna try to create a Vampir: masquarade inspired world. Basically, way to many vampires that were allowed to integrate into society for 100 years or so. (Ill just leave a small fort running in the background to simulate the world for 100 years i think.)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 08:32:21 am »

I'm going to make a vampire who tries to kill all vampires that he didn't turn himself.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 01:53:34 am »

I love switching between fortress and adventurer mode. I'll find a good spot to build a camp for my adventurer, retire and build a nearby dwarf trading post to fill with goodies, and drop a shaft into the underworld there. Then as you explore and find dead-ends you can briefly retire, mine out new passages and stock basecamps.
Pages: 1 [2]