Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V12 - Crash-B-Gone  (Read 39129 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
[47.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V12 - Crash-B-Gone
« on: February 19, 2019, 03:59:22 pm »

What is this?

This is a mod whose purpose is to convert to DF the many, many monsters present in, and made famous by, Dungeons & Dragons. The objective of this mod is to be as compatible as possible with every single other mod out there, and the only way conflicts can arise is if another mod completely deletes vanilla DF objects like body parts or metals.

The mod currently features:
98 Creatures
21 Megabeasts/Semimegabeasts
20 Civilizations
2 Metals
1 Armor
40 Weapons
8 Ammo Types
1 Plant

For more detailed descriptions of each and every piece of content, there is a "content descriptions" folder containing more info on them included in the pack.

Be warned that while I did my best to balance all content, these additions WILL make your world more dangerous.

How to install the mod

First, download the one of the versions of the pack from the link below, then extract the file (you may need a program like WinRAR or 7zip if you don't have either already). Once that is done, open the Monstrous Manual folder and copy the contents over to your main DF folder, and you're done. IMPORTANT: You will need to generate a new world to see any of the content, this will not affect pre-existing saves.

Download Links

Regular Version
No Civilizations Version

What's the difference between the threeversions of the mod?

As the name of one of them implies, one adds civilizations while the other does not. However, the creatures that make up that civilization are still present in the files and, as such, can be played as adventurers. A few creatures are also present as roaming creatures (such as the Azer), meaning you could still see them during play. The WIP version is, as the name implies, very work in progress and might be buggy. However, it will allow people to get whatever is the latest thing I've added without waiting for a new proper version.

Packaging any of this content with other mods

I hereby give my full permission for any of the content included in this pack to be used and/or packaged into any other mod as long as I am credited for it. I reserve the right to rescind this permission for any reason.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:46:35 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:21:37 pm »

Here I was about to do something like this as a part of my new overhaul mod. Just a handful of manual creatures. Well, I still can. And still will, but im surprised
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:03 am »

Here I was about to do something like this as a part of my new overhaul mod. Just a handful of manual creatures. Well, I still can. And still will, but im surprised
Go for it.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:47:09 am »

Released a new version. Its lighter on content than I'd like but I wanted to push out a bugfix and a few tweaks to version 1 creatures.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V2
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:00:53 am »

I'm interested. I see that there are azers and bugbears, are you considering adding any more civs? Maybe D&D style lizardmen, or some other goblinoids like hobgoblins? Maybe mountain-dwelling aarakocra? Yuan-ti maybe?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 06:14:17 pm »

I'm interested. I see that there are azers and bugbears, are you considering adding any more civs? Maybe D&D style lizardmen, or some other goblinoids like hobgoblins? Maybe mountain-dwelling aarakocra? Yuan-ti maybe?
More will be added as I go on. Aarakocra are in the mod actually, but not as a civilization. They just wander around good mountains and join other entities. May consider making an entity for them in addition to that. Currently the two entities included are Azers and Bugbears, as you mentioned.

I'm mostly going in alphabetical order because its easy to remember where I stopped.

Some years back I did another mod that was basically this, but with no care about keeping it compatible. And barely caring about making sure everything made sense and reflected the tabletop stats and fluff descriptions. So progress is slightly slowed down, but I don't mind.

Sure, sometimes you end up something utterly useless like the Crawling Claw, which is where I am at now, that is just... an undead hand that will probably end up as an evil vermin that does nothing other than give the usual vermin bad thoughts.

EDIT: I actually am skipping the crawling claw because it doesn't even manage to be an interesting vermin creature.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:53:45 pm by Teneb »

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 10:41:13 am »

Nice, Teneb!
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

XXX_ANUBIS_XXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 06:12:48 pm »

Here's some files ZM5 Clown Stretcher patched:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/173908541088858113/552628392911044616/interaction_tb_dnd.txt
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/173908541088858113/552628394290970655/body_tb_dnd.txt
In the body one, the legs weren't attached right.
In the interaction, the emotion is anger, not rage.
Future reference.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »

Here's some files ZM5 Clown Stretcher patched:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/173908541088858113/552628392911044616/interaction_tb_dnd.txt
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/173908541088858113/552628394290970655/body_tb_dnd.txt
In the body one, the legs weren't attached right.
In the interaction, the emotion is anger, not rage.
Future reference.

While I do appreciate people pointing out what I did wrong, I would rather that you didn't bug another modder over these things since they are, you know, my mistakes and I'm around to fix them.

Further, you may want to be clearer in the future as to what in a file has issues (had to use winmerge to spot the changes in the body file).

XXX_ANUBIS_XXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 06:54:12 am »

I was on the discord trying to get adventurecraft and spellcrafts to work together. ZM5 was helping with that since I generally have no clue what to do in the raws. He noticed those errors in the raws and fixed em while he was at it. Nice guy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:19 pm »

A small progress post because I like to explain my design decisions:

First, I am pretty close to a release. There's still some to go but I could (emphasis on 'could') even do a release today. It will be a bigger release than the previous two, so it's why I want to talk about it.

Something I'd very much like to point out is that Azers being playable in fort mode was actually not intended. I even briefly removed [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] from them but then, thinking about it, made them playable again. So in the future all dwarves and dwarf-analogues whose entities are simply biome-shifted (sometimes not even that) clones of the vanilla DF dwarf will be playable. In the vein of talk about civilzations, this next release will be a bit civilization-heavy compared to the meagre two (Azer + Bugbear) so far. That's because I've:
-Made civilized versions of both Aarakocras and Bulliwugs. (The wild versions remain in the mod, so don't worry about that!)
-Am in the process of creating a Tanar'ri (aka Demons) civ who should act as a dangerous invading force.
-Will also add all Player's Handbook (5e) races as civs.

The third point is, I think, worthy of an explanation because it does mean there'll be Vanilla DF dwarves and Monstrous Manual Dwarves. The same also applying to Humans and Elves. The reason is thus: it lets me do a few changes I want to do to those races without breaking compatibility and also because I will be adding new weapons based on those available in D&D. This means that these civs will play a big role in disseminating those weapons in generated worlds.

Finally, more wild creatures for you to encounter and interact with are of course added, many fixes and tweaks were made and there's now not only a new metal, but two megabeasts and one semimegabeast in the pack.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V3
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:55 pm »

Alright, it took far longer than I'd like, but a new version is out. It contains... a lot of stuff, including a ton of entities (mostly traders unless you are playing as a thief, snatcher, or both) for the regular version.

The highlight of this version is the Tanar'ri entity, a late-game sieger with very powerful castes. If you are playing on the No Civs version, don't worry because all demons also appear as independent creatures or, in some cases, megabeasts. Not even neutral regions are safe, for the demons can (very rarely) appear there too!

Speaking of, the mod now has megabeasts! Specifically 2 megabeasts (the Demilich and the Balor), and 2 semimegabeasts (the Goristro and the Marilith).

Spoiler: Full changelog (click to show/hide)

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 09:33:52 am »

PTPlay!!!

dethb0y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 10:08:12 am »

I must say i quite like your throwing weapons system - its the most elegant i've seen yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8