Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V12 - Crash-B-Gone  (Read 39138 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V3
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 07:38:45 pm »

I must say i quite like your throwing weapons system - its the most elegant i've seen yet.
Thanks. It's nothing special, just a ranged weapon that uses the Throwing skill flavoured as a "throwing glove" with horrible melee stats plus varied ammo that can work pretty great in melee. Too bad the ammo will probably only be used as actual weapons by adventuring players.

EDIT: Might as well take the opportunity to say that I'm going to be tweaking the various entities (read: civs) the mod adds to make them a bit more unique and ensure they don't immediately die out or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:43:40 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 07:24:31 am »

Be warned that while I did my best to balance all content.

What this means? Does this means the monsters/races aren't exactly like they are at the d&d rpg?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 11:27:59 am »

Be warned that while I did my best to balance all content.

What this means? Does this means the monsters/races aren't exactly like they are at the d&d rpg?
D&D is balanced, supposedly, by its own systems. In the translation to DF certain things don't carry over exactly. Stats and how important size is, for example, or the absence of hit points. I tried to make sure that nothing that isn't supposed to be absurdly strong isn't absurdly strong. And even then fun needs to be kept in mind. It's okay for a demilich to be nightmarish. It's not okay for it to be an instant game over.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:51:28 am by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 12:16:54 pm »

Question: What D&D races are civs in this mod?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 07:41:41 pm »

Question: What D&D races are civs in this mod?
There's more details in a folder in the mod, but...:

Regular Entities (not thief or snatcher): Aarakocra, Azer, Hill Dwarf, Mountain Dwarf, High Elf, Wood Elf, Lightfoot Halfling, Stout Halfling, Human, Dragonborn, Forest Gnome, Rock Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Tiefling

Thief Entities: Bugbear, Bullywug, Half-Orc, Tiefling

Snatcher Entities: Drow

Snatcher + Thief Entities: Tanar'ri (Demons)

Next version will see them joined by Centaurs (regular, their 'wild' version will be removed), Bugbears (layer-linked, one above remains), Cyclopes (thief, will still appear in the wild), Baatezu (snatcher + thief), Doppelgangers (thief), Drider (layer-linked), Duergar (snatcher).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:44:20 pm by Teneb »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 03:31:17 pm »

Added a poll because I'm thinking of making an optional addition to the mod (with its own download page) that would add a bunch of variant civs in addition to the generic ones each race has. Stuff like the good Elistraee-worshipping drow of Forgotten Realms, or the druidic orcs of Eberron.

So let me know what you think.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »

As something of a progress update, I decided to cut some of the content in the incoming update to focus on polishing the content that will be included.

So... what will be included? All the devils in 5e's standard Monster Manual, which will appear both in the wild and as a civilization (late-game invader). And since we're speaking of fiends: all fiends will now also spawn in the Underworld, the map's bottom-most layer. While that might end up making the map's depths less dangerous, it will add some nice variety.

Furthermore, I have gone through all the various entities (civilizations) in the mod and tweaked their ethics, positions, biomes and resources. The biggest changes were to the thieving civilizations. Cyclopes and Centaurs were also granted civilizations, the first as part of the Thief group and the second as part of the Civilized group. Centaurs will no longer be found roaming about in the wild, but Cyclopes still can be found in their "wild" form. You'll also see some variety in the caverns because bugbears will spawn as a layer-linked civilization, much like DF's animalmen tribes. Finally, because I sometimes don't know when to stop, there'll be even more weapons in the mod for the many civilizations.

There's also going to be some minor bugfixes and some future-proofing compatibility stuff related to some projects I am working on.

Expect this new version Soon.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 10:42:06 pm »

You have tieflings in it twice. I guess there are tieflings, and thieflings.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 11:50:50 am »

You have tieflings in it twice. I guess there are tieflings, and thieflings.
Some creatures can appear in multiple instances, yeah. One is a friendly version of the tieflings, one is a hostile one. Or, as you said: tieflings and thieflings.

IndigoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 12:16:26 pm »

PTW

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 12:28:14 pm »

New version released!

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I forgot to type this when I first posted, but there is more to come of course. I'll be skipping the actual historical dinosaurs, since there are mod packs that already do them better, but the next version should have more creatures than this one. I dunno when I'll start making the setting-specific versions of the various races, so the poll stays up for now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:37:54 pm by Teneb »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V4
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 08:52:51 pm »

Thanks for making this mod, just discovered it. I've been looking for a decent standalone D&D monsters mod for some time (while being too chronically lazy to make one myself). :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:02:38 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 03:13:48 pm »

Been using the mod, and I have a few gripes to point out, just from the limited use I've had so far concerning the cyclops.

1. They either need to be made properly hostile and have thier ability to speak removed.

2. If not the above, then building destroyer needs to be removed, otherwise cyclops visitors will show up and smash everything in your fort (because apparently they find the concept of tables and bookshelves offensive)

3. While I understand giving them armor to improve thier general survivablity, it makes something already hard to kill because of their size even harder to fight, as sheer size alone means even winning leaves you with badly degraded weaponry (and we're talking iron and steel against iron and copper.) They're simply too beefy to fight effectively if they have metal armor. I'd suggest maybe some natural fighter and dodger skills to compensate for having such taken away.

Granted, I'm operating under the following assumptions: Fort mode, and cyclopses not meant to be friends/visitors, based on thier utterances and building destroyer tags. I personally couldn't care what other people do in adventure mode.

Hope I don't sound like a dick with the post, since I did get into an argument with someone over these buggers; I don't care if they're playable, but they strike me as being intended to be an enemy over that.

EDIT: Also they have both [Intelligent] and [can_speak] and [can_learn] I doubt it's an issue, but it's a little odd to have both in them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 04:31:44 pm »

Been using the mod, and I have a few gripes to point out, just from the limited use I've had so far concerning the cyclops.

1. They either need to be made properly hostile and have thier ability to speak removed.

2. If not the above, then building destroyer needs to be removed, otherwise cyclops visitors will show up and smash everything in your fort (because apparently they find the concept of tables and bookshelves offensive)

3. While I understand giving them armor to improve thier general survivablity, it makes something already hard to kill because of their size even harder to fight, as sheer size alone means even winning leaves you with badly degraded weaponry (and we're talking iron and steel against iron and copper.) They're simply too beefy to fight effectively if they have metal armor. I'd suggest maybe some natural fighter and dodger skills to compensate for having such taken away.

Granted, I'm operating under the following assumptions: Fort mode, and cyclopses not meant to be friends/visitors, based on thier utterances and building destroyer tags. I personally couldn't care what other people do in adventure mode.

Hope I don't sound like a dick with the post, since I did get into an argument with someone over these buggers; I don't care if they're playable, but they strike me as being intended to be an enemy over that.

EDIT: Also they have both [Intelligent] and [can_speak] and [can_learn] I doubt it's an issue, but it's a little odd to have both in them.
The feedback is fine, so don't worry about being a dick.

so I'll respond point by point:

1. I'll consider doing this, actually.

2. If I can't figure out a way to prevent cyclops visitors, I'll try to trestric them. I though the building destroyer issue only affected diplomats, but I guess not.

3. I'll nerf them, either on stats or on equipment.

The Cyclopes are supposed to be hostile to all non-thieves, so friendly ones are a bit odd. Do you know if they were civilized cyclopes or "wild" one? It seems to me they were from a civ, but might as well ask. Balancing cyclopes will also help when I add the true giants, so this kind of input is good.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »

They were civ dwelling cyclops; their fellows came by later on with some beak dogs and other stuff and while not terribly great fighters, thier sheer size and the bulk of thier armor left some of my men with X  level wear on thier iron weapons and it took forever to kill them - even copper was withstanding hits delivered by elite swordsmen with no wear inflicted. Granted, this is probably more to do with them being so damn big compared to my human militia.

I think the visitors has to do with them being able to speak. Kobolds lack it and consequently you never see them as visitors.

EDIT: Bugbears work great though. Can confirm, and the slingers hit hard enough to break human-sized targets' knees with torsion damage. Byeshk seems to be a bit over-represented though in terms of materials. Lots of arms and armor made from it, so it may be better to restrict access via reaction to the civs that used it, but that's more of an opinion than a balance thing on my part since I have no idea how good it is compared to other materials.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8