Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V12 - Crash-B-Gone  (Read 39136 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V4
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 07:04:03 pm »

They were civ dwelling cyclops; their fellows came by later on with some beak dogs and other stuff and while not terribly great fighters, thier sheer size and the bulk of thier armor left some of my men with X  level wear on thier iron weapons and it took forever to kill them - even copper was withstanding hits delivered by elite swordsmen with no wear inflicted. Granted, this is probably more to do with them being so damn big compared to my human militia.

I think the visitors has to do with them being able to speak. Kobolds lack it and consequently you never see them as visitors.

EDIT: Bugbears work great though. Can confirm, and the slingers hit hard enough to break human-sized targets' knees with torsion damage. Byeshk seems to be a bit over-represented though in terms of materials. Lots of arms and armor made from it, so it may be better to restrict access via reaction to the civs that used it, but that's more of an opinion than a balance thing on my part since I have no idea how good it is compared to other materials.
I'll lower the frequency of Byeshk and maybe restrict to just weapons since it might be too good for armour despite its weight. I added it, together with cold iron, as a way to counter the innate resistance of most aberrations to damage.

I was going to make a big update next, but I think I'll just do a balance pass and release a new version without any actual additions so this kind of stuff doesn't hang around forever.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V4
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 07:18:05 pm »

Alright, I went and made a new version for balancing purposes. It makes changes only to Cyclopes and Byeshk, and includes no new content.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Byeshk actually had a frequency of 100, which is why it was everywhere. I reduced to to 30.

Cyclopes are much smaller as a way to balance them out especially due to them being, as mentioned previously, a test run on giant civs. Considering they are on the short end of the giant size spectrum, this change is pretty damn important. Them losing the capacity to speak (which in itself was an oversight) will reinforce their status as a "loner" type of creature, even as a civ.

EDIT: Finally, the next update will be a big one. A really big one. The biggest one, you might say.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:20:54 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V5
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 07:45:47 pm »

Well that certainly explains why it seemed like everyone had byeshk weapons or armor of some sort. Ranged weapons, shields, and helmets were especially popular for whatever reason. Suppose I should stick this on a fresh install to see how it plays now, since cyclops came relatively early on the mess I put it on.

Also yay I helped!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 03:15:21 pm »

Double post just for a heads up.

While I dunno if it was intentional or not, there's a serious over-saturation of friendly civs, enough so that while I know there's other playables in the mod, they crowded out vanilla civs almost completely. While this probably (that is, almost certainly,) isn't an issue for adventure mode, it sort of strangles access to bad guys when using this mod by itself for civs in fort mode. presumably they also crowded out some of the hostile civs as well, as few were present on the one world I managed to generate. Half-elves in particular seemed to be damn near everywhere.

The only places with more than one enemy, if they had any at all, were severely isolated either by mountains or surrounding savage biomes. Note, that I usually use medium worlds for decent variety without everything being too spread out, with the standard civ count only raised by 10.

Once I removed the friendly civs (because I prefer to do my enemy tests "in the wild" rather than arena,) I started getting constant rejections - enough that it's made world gen almost impossible to complete, the example above was one of only two successes, and it was the only success with just this mod - over some civ or another apparently trying to be placed where there's no crops available. I'm not certain which it is besides maybe the two permahostile ones since they're the only ones who could feasibly be placed somewhere that desolate.

But yeah, there's serious crowding issues it seems, and a massive overabundance of friendly entities, and there's some difficulty with placing civs.

I tried adding NOT_FREEZING for the permahostile entity biomes however, and I managed to actually generate a world, so I think it may have been them throwing that rejection type.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, since I dunno if the problems were on my end or not, but now I can actually jump in to test the cyclopes and others to see how they fare against similar opponents (I stripped them of their metal armor in the other game, and even their clothes were putting serious wear on weapons, so hopefully the recent rebalance update will make them much more manageable to fight.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 04:28:19 pm »

Double post just for a heads up.

While I dunno if it was intentional or not, there's a serious over-saturation of friendly civs, enough so that while I know there's other playables in the mod, they crowded out vanilla civs almost completely. While this probably (that is, almost certainly,) isn't an issue for adventure mode, it sort of strangles access to bad guys when using this mod by itself for civs in fort mode. presumably they also crowded out some of the hostile civs as well, as few were present on the one world I managed to generate. Half-elves in particular seemed to be damn near everywhere.

The only places with more than one enemy, if they had any at all, were severely isolated either by mountains or surrounding savage biomes. Note, that I usually use medium worlds for decent variety without everything being too spread out, with the standard civ count only raised by 10.

Once I removed the friendly civs (because I prefer to do my enemy tests "in the wild" rather than arena,) I started getting constant rejections - enough that it's made world gen almost impossible to complete, the example above was one of only two successes, and it was the only success with just this mod - over some civ or another apparently trying to be placed where there's no crops available. I'm not certain which it is besides maybe the two permahostile ones since they're the only ones who could feasibly be placed somewhere that desolate.

But yeah, there's serious crowding issues it seems, and a massive overabundance of friendly entities, and there's some difficulty with placing civs.

I tried adding NOT_FREEZING for the permahostile entity biomes however, and I managed to actually generate a world, so I think it may have been them throwing that rejection type.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, since I dunno if the problems were on my end or not, but now I can actually jump in to test the cyclopes and others to see how they fare against similar opponents (I stripped them of their metal armor in the other game, and even their clothes were putting serious wear on weapons, so hopefully the recent rebalance update will make them much more manageable to fight.)
It will sort itself out once I add more "bad guy" civs. It's really that currently there's just more friendly civs in the mod than unfriendly ones.

I'll investigate the permahostile ones.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2019, 12:40:18 pm »

Alright, I did some thinking and I think I'll be adding in the next version, whenever that is done, a submod that will make ALL CIVS who are not dwarven permanently hostile to them.

It will be somewhat for the lulz, but will also provide a challenge for those who want that sort of thing. The name will probably be something witty.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2019, 01:54:59 pm »

Dwarves and Dangers?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2019, 04:16:53 pm »

Dwarves and Dangers?
I was thinking Urist Has No Friends. But now I am undecided.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V6
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 08:20:26 pm »

Finally got around to updating the mod. The update is much smaller, including only the Displacer Beast, Doppelganger and Dracolich (in 11 varieties though) because of a bug that was causing worlds to be rejected due to a mistake I made in two civilizations.

So... enjoy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V7
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 09:54:53 am »

Version 7 is out. It adds the Shadow Dragons, the five base Chromatic Dragons, the five base Metallic Dragons, the Drider as both a creature and as a layer-linked civilization, the Dryad and the Duergar civilization (which is playable!).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2019, 07:49:53 pm »

Apparently there's some minor bug with a couple creatures. Figured I'd let you know.

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:FEMALE:right claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:FEMALE:left claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:MALE:right claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:MALE:left claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 1: Tissue SIDEBURNS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 2: Tissue SIDEBURNS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 3: Tissue CHIN_WHISKERS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 4: Tissue MOUSTACHE was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:left cheek, layer 1: Tissue CHEEK_WHISKERS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:right cheek, layer 1: Tissue CHEEK_WHISKERS was not found, using first tissue instead

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2019, 08:00:07 pm »

Apparently there's some minor bug with a couple creatures. Figured I'd let you know.

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:FEMALE:right claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:FEMALE:left claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:MALE:right claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DISPLACER_BEAST_EVIL:MALE:left claw, layer 1: Tissue NAIL was not found, using first tissue instead
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 1: Tissue SIDEBURNS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 2: Tissue SIDEBURNS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 3: Tissue CHIN_WHISKERS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:head, layer 4: Tissue MOUSTACHE was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:left cheek, layer 1: Tissue CHEEK_WHISKERS was not found, using first tissue instead
TB_DND_DOPPELGANGER:MALE:right cheek, layer 1: Tissue CHEEK_WHISKERS was not found, using first tissue instead
Yeah, already fixed that for next version. Shouldn't affect anything other than maybe having the Displacer Beast's claw attacks not be as effective as it ought to.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.xx] Monstrous Manual: modular D&D mod - V8
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2019, 12:38:07 pm »

Released a very small new version that fixes the doppelganger and displacer beast bugs and tweaks fiend spawning rules: in short, instead of being able to appear infrequently in non-evil surface areas, they can now appear infrequently in savage areas.

ZayZe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2019, 08:30:30 pm »

Like your work :)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:02 pm »

I was thinking about the dinosaurs you mentioned a while ago, back here. Somebody could install a different dinosaur mod and Monstrous Manual simultaneously, but it seems unlikely that people would do that. More to the point, D&D typically treats dinosaurs as rare and exotic creatures in the Lost World mold. I'd like to suggest including the handful of historical dinosaurs from the Monster Manual, but keeping them rare and probably restricted to Savage jungles.

If it helps, feel free to take the necessary dinosaurs from my own mod and modify them a bit for yours.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8