Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Application blocked from accessing graphics card. Help  (Read 2663 times)

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Application blocked from accessing graphics card. Help
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »

Yeah, more technical trouble. It's clinging to me like a barnacle...

So... my laptop has a little problem. I was in the middle of installing more stuff back on it, I decided to play a game on Firefox. Cursed Treasure 2 on Armor Games, a Flash game. I installed Flash, let it run on the page, and my laptop said the application had been blocked from accessing the graphics card. My other laptop had this same issue, but since I was going to replace it, I never bothered to fix it.

This problem isn't just on Armor Games, though. The last laptop also showed this issue for other Flash games and on other online game sites like Kongregate. Now I looked up what to do about this, and it was suggested to uninstall the graphics driver and re-install it.

This machine has two graphics cards: An Intel UHD 620, and an AMD Radeon 530. I uninstalled each one's driver, one at at time, and re-installed both. I even got technical assistance for the former, since I can't remember the last time I ever done this, if ever. The drivers installed.

And yet, after re-installing both, I still had the same problem. I even tried giving preference to Firefox for the graphics in the settings. But after all that, it's still the same. I even got the same "application has been blocked from access..." message when I was on Steam's website.

I don't get it. Did I do something wrong, and how do I fix this? Any ideas?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Application blocked from accessing graphics card. Help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 07:52:46 pm »

Sorry for the cliche question, but just to be sure: did you reboot after installing the new drivers?

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:39 pm »

Sorry for the cliche question, but just to be sure: did you reboot after installing the new drivers?

Oh no, I don't mind you asking. I did a reboot after uninstalling each driver, and I rebooted after each driver was re-installed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:03:47 pm »

Tried running the browser as an administrator?

Also, maybe this is a red herring but...

Only one of those graphics processors should be active. The Intel UHD 620 is the integrated graphics card that ships on your laptop's motherboard.

The AMD Radeon 530 is an actual graphics card for a laptop, and should be the one you're using. I wonder if you're actually utilizing the Intel integrated card rather than the AMD card.

You'll probably have to go in to the BIOS of the laptop when it boots up to check and see if the Intel integrated card is active or not. Integrated graphics cards tend to lack a lot of features of actual graphics cards, and just intended for desktop graphics, basic applications and web browsers. Maybe Flash is trying to something the card can't handle and it comes back as "Access Denied."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:11:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:22:09 am »

I got into the BIOS (though it doesn't look like what I thought the BIOS looked like), and while I didn't see any way to change the graphics card, I saw this set of information. I don't know if it helps.

Video controller = Intel kabylake Graphics

dGPU Video controller = AMD Radeon R7

Video BIOS version = GOP 1066

Video Memory = 64 MB

Panel Type = 17.3" FHD

Native Resolution = 1920 by 1080

Does that help at all? 

EDIT: I have more information. Some of it I forgot before.

So, I tried Cursed Treasure 2 on Armor Games today. I didn't get an error message this time, but the game refused to actually start. All the data was loaded, but it was stuck. Still, no error message. So I tried a few other games. I tried Kingdom Rush Frontiers on Armor Games. And that worked... sort of.

Here's the thing I forgot about: When I first saw this problem on my other Windows 10 laptop (something that's also true for this one), local saves for these games does not work. One game, which usually says "Save successful" when you save, said "Save Failed". Other games, after saving, will show no data when you go back to them.

Kingdom Rush Frontier kept the data for a new game I created via it's online save slot, but when I tried to click on a local save slot, it just didn't work at all, Nothing happened.

I should also mention, I tried Cursed Treasure 2 on Kongregate, where they only offer local saves, and this held true there too. Started a game, played a few minutes, went off the page, came back, no data.

Originally I thought this had to do with the graphics card since that was the error message I was getting, but now I'm not sure. Ideas?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:57:50 am by Lupin6 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:25:41 am »

Does sort of sound like you have file/folder access problems. Which hasn't been uncommon in my experience with Windows 10 and servers in the last few years.

I don't know where these Flash games would store data files, but if you can find that location (probably in the hidden ProgramData folder on C:), you could try right clicking the folder, going to properties, then security. Find the Windows user account that you're using from the list. In the lower pane it will say whether you have read/write privlieges to that direct or full control. If you don't have full control on that directory, give yourself full control and try again.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 05:16:49 pm »

Does sort of sound like you have file/folder access problems. Which hasn't been uncommon in my experience with Windows 10 and servers in the last few years.

I don't know where these Flash games would store data files, but if you can find that location (probably in the hidden ProgramData folder on C:), you could try right clicking the folder, going to properties, then security. Find the Windows user account that you're using from the list. In the lower pane it will say whether you have read/write privlieges to that direct or full control. If you don't have full control on that directory, give yourself full control and try again.

Unfortunately, I can't find it either. I can't even find a "ProgramData" folder. The weird thing is that I looked at the settings for Flash, and the storage settings DO allow these sites to store files locally. They just... aren't doing it. And then during one test, the computer started giving me the message about being blocked from the graphics card again.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 05:18:46 pm »

Remember that you have to tell Windows to show Hidden Folders, before you can see the ProgramData folder. (I think on some versions it's also just called AppData.)

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:52 pm »

Remember that you have to tell Windows to show Hidden Folders, before you can see the ProgramData folder. (I think on some versions it's also just called AppData.)

How do I do that?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 08:59:00 pm »

Not sure about as far up the Windows releases as 10, but it used to be that from the menu of any folder window (that hasn't yet been totally excised, right?) under Tools there's Folder Options that gives brings up a Properties-type child window.

On the View tab there's a tree of "Advanced Settings", under which you could find the (default) Hide Hidden/System Files And Folders and the alternate Show All Files/Folders. And various other interesting things you might be tempted to play with (but sticking to just showing all file extensions is as far as I'd be tempted to suggest for now, it's useful for some things).

But maybe that's all changed or been banished to somewhere under the latest version of the Control Panel. Could help as a pointer, though.

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 10:51:48 am »

Found a way to do that. Still didn't find a folder. However, I discovered something interesting. The games run (and save) just fine in Microsoft Edge. I have that and Firefox, though Firefox is my default browser.

What's funny is that this wasn't a problem on my Windows 7 machine, and I have a Firefox account, so any settings should be the same.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 01:24:34 pm »

Interesting. This to me continues to point to a folder/permissioning issue. Try adding firewall exceptions for Firefox, give it admin privileges, or maybe uninstall and reinstall it and don't load previous settings. See if a fresh install with no previous user data has the same issues.

I haven't tried to play browser games on my Windows 10 work machine, but I've been using Firefox for years and never seen this issue.

Lupin6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 06:19:59 pm »

At first I thought it was this new feature that blocked tracking, but that wasn't it.

I don't want to clear my Firefox account. Do you think clearing all the cookies might work?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 11:54:27 pm »

It's gonna log you out of a buncha things, but eh? Might help.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.