Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civil war science  (Read 7226 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civil war science
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:56 pm »

In a previous game, I sent one squad to raid an enemy site, then a little later sent a second squad to conquer the same site. Due to a sleeping soldier in the first squad, the second squad reached the site first and successfully conquered it. When the first squad arrived, they proceeded to raid the site as instructed, looting artifacts and treasure from my new holding.

In a new world, I created multiple raid missions against enemy sites but assigned no squads. When those sites subsequently changed ownership, I could modify and assign squads to complete the existing raid missions against my parent civilization and my own holdings. During one such raid, my squad was spotted leaving, initiating a civil war. I then demanded tribute from one of my holdings; instead of restoring peace it added that site government to the civilizations list, at war with me and our parent civilization.

From poking around the diplomacy relationships, it appears that wars are only tracked at the "civilization" entity level--sites inherit and modify their civilization's status. So when a "civil war" occurs, a civilization records a war against itself. Since all the civilization's sites inherit that value, they all believe they are at war with their parent civilization and every other site in that civilization.

An active civil war disrupts diplomacy and trade with your parent civilization. I was unable to find any legitimate method to resolve the civil war. One of my tribute demands was apparently successful (one holding now provides yearly tribute), but my squad became 'stuck' traveling to a different site with a tribute demand (I don't know if that's a result of the civil war or just a standard mission bug).

I was able to cancel the civil war with DFHack 0.44.12-r2. Running this script removed the 'W' on the civilizations screen and resumed diplomacy/trade with my parent civilization, however it's quite possible that there are other aspects that might cause future problems. It's always a good idea to back up your save before modifying it with DFHack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duegon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war science
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:27:59 am »

Interesting. Does it makes your fortress dwarves attack each other?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »

No fortress infighting. I'm not sure what would happen if the dwarven liaison or caravan happened to be on-site when you started a civil war, though.

Somebody in a different thread claimed to have been attacked by dwarves. I did not experience that, but the number of dwarven sites (and, by extension, the number of potential targets in a free-for-all civil war) may affect the probability of your specific site being attacked.

glindsey1979

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 03:50:42 pm »

Necroing this thread to point out that if you are using DFHack Release 0.47.04-r1, you will need to edit the "civil war" script and replace "unknown1b" with "relations" (i.e. it should read "civ.relations.diplomacy").

Hope this helps anybody else who has encountered this bug!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 09:04:37 am »

I posted a bug report on this recently. The mission system doesn't check for changes in site ownership. So if you send a bunch of dwarves to conquer the same site, they will end up fighting each other.

badiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 08:33:59 am »

I had the same problem but the script alone did not help. Finally I forced a diplomat to appear with

"force Diplomat MOUNTAIN"

right the next Autum a caravan and a liason appear at my gate.

Maybe it helps with your games too

Camela Labaamu has become a Elf

"Yes Urist we said you can become whatever you want...but"

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 01:19:40 pm »

Purely speculation, but i wonder if its the responsible foil for why certain groups handle site transferral very badly. Its impossible to remove bandits for instance even when killed to less than a man and the amount of repeat pillages that occur after the defenders are even decimated.

fitmoos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 03:19:49 am »

A error:

[DFHack]# fix/civil-war
./hack/lua/dfhack.lua:673: /df_linux/hack/scripts/fix/civil-war.lua:2: syntax error near '/'
stack traceback:
   [C]: in function 'error'
   ./hack/lua/dfhack.lua:673: in function 'dfhack.run_script_with_env'
   (...tail calls...)