Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Templartaller Fortress  (Read 1637 times)

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Templartaller Fortress
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:48 pm »

A replacement Creature RAW entry for humans that turns them into surface-conquering beasts with crusader-times flavor. They were designed to be played in fortress mode to test the limits of surface settlement and the mission system. They were also intended to take on terrible worldgen odds and win while being restricted to a max of 1 civ per worldgen. How many dark fortresses and pits can YOU rampage through?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fle5s6j6pitesae/creature_civ_human.txt?dl=0 -> Uploaded to Dropbox rather than DFFD because I use Microsoft email addresses.

To get these bad boys and girls rolling just delete whatever creature RAW's for humans you have and replace it with that. Then gen up your new world.

FEATURES:
-3 common male castes oriented entirely toward combat.
-4 female castes oriented toward all civilian tasks. Their frequency is adjusted to accommodate demand for their labor specialty.
-3 rare male castes that will dominate in combat.
-Noticeable sexual dimorphism. Males will usually be much bigger and have far more aggressive personalities, as well as physical attributes ideal for soldiering. They will also be born with innate non-weapon combat skills depending on the exact caste. Females will have mental attributes and skill learn boons ideal for literally everything else.
-Universal heterosexuality to guarantee their ability to breed.

Common Males:
-Hospitallers: These come the closest to average vanilla melee fighters. They learn non-ranged combat skills at 150% rate and can enter martial trances.
-Templars: The biggest male caste. Depending on how your weapon RAW's are setup, they may be large enough to one-hand weapons that are normally 2-handed only. Their personality tends far more towards aggression and they have a high chance to become enraged in battle. However, they learn combat skills at only 130% the normal rate and have no martial trances.
-Stinkeye: A generalist male caste geared towards all ranged combat, even throwing. They learn all relevant skills at 150% and start with Legendary+5 Observation.

Females:
-Agri Girls: Big and tall, and with 150% learning rate for agricultural skills and other tasks that do not have products with quality modifiers. They also start with Legendary+5 animal training to get those exotic warbeasts rolling with your razing missions.
-Craftswomen: Physically these are straight vanilla human women with mental attributes adjusted towards crushing labors with quality modifiers.
-Fae Babes: Rarest female caste. They're the size of an elf with skill learn and mental attributes that specialize in social skills. They make good brokers, entertainers, nobles, and will frequently be elected mayor if you have them. They will also bear entire litters of kids, so be wary of arranging their marriages if you don't want ~10 brats in 2 years possibly.
-Matriarch: High IQ anime girls, basically, because I couldn't resist toying with caste-specific hair and eye colors. They specialize in the intellectual skills as well as soap-making, mechanics and all the siege engineering skills. They also sport the [NOFEAR] tag so they won't run while operating your siege engines. Their social skills have significant penalties, however. They are the best caste to make into scholars.

Rare Males
-Teutons: Tall and thin. They have the learn rates of Templars with the same ability to be enraged with no martial trances. They have crazy high agility and good strength, but are weighted towards low toughness.
-Ex Lazari: Broad knights, with high toughness and maxed Disease Resistance. They learn at the rate of Hospitallers and can enter martial trances.
-Jerusalemic Sepulcherians: Rarest caste of them all. I've never seen more than 2 across several forts with populations above 100. They learn combat skills at 200% the normal rate and are born with Legendary+5 armor user, but are simultaneously the smallest knight breed. In combat this translates to them being able to get many attacks in while their enemies are fumbling around. I once saw one of these in full, modded heavy steel plate charge into a mass of Fortress Defense II Pandashi and dice them all before the enemy could land 1 blow.

Entity Changes: Values changes, as well as name changes for the military and monarch nobles and restricting them to the male castes. Romance and family will be a need priority for Templartallers, and building each family unit a house is part of the intended roleplay.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fair warning about plopping these beasts into an otherwise vanilla world: Tremendous prowess calls out for tremendously dangerous foes. They are not invincible, but will do insanely powerful feats such as punching giant cave spiders into flying pieces. I strongly recommend you also install worthy opponents. Fortress Defense II is a popular source of such enemies. Especially because these guys are liable to lift iron-armored Goblins up and pull them into halves. They were never intended to provide a normal DF experience, but were created to regularly go out razing enemy sites, even those of modded ones, and have a chance of winning. Your arms and armor mod of choice is also highly encouraged, along with megabeast expansions. Either that or indulge your appetite for cotton candy (if you're gonna do that, feel free to enable working the cotton candy).

Other notes:
-The current stress system makes surface settlements impossible because mundane weather will drive citizens mad. To get around this and allow actually doing stuff, I gave the Templartallers [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:0:0]. If you want to worry about the wrong person stepping outdoors too many times just remove that line of code or edit it.
-I am not kidding that these guys will shrek like nobody else without seriously powerful enemies.
-Short histories are recommended because they are limited to 1 civ, especially if you do like me and dump in so many enemy civs that you've lost count of them.
-Stinkeyes tend to do horribly in Missions, at least you equip them with leather armor and ranged weapons. I recommend you get your count of true knights high, assign them many warbeasts and leave the Stinkeyes at home to shoot down giant keas and man the fortifications.

EDITED NOTE: I realized that I did not point out that this mod does not make them immediately playable or add any extra items you might want. That's important for newcomers to DF modding. You'll need to go add the [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] tag to the humans at the bare minimum, and even after that they may not have all the options you want for your experience. The wiki can guide you through enabling all the materials, workshops, jobs and items you could want. This mod can also be plugged into MDF if you want to use that mod as a base.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:34:13 pm by JAK »