Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.12] Hypans - Primitive civilization mod v0.32[WIP]  (Read 4711 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
[44.12] Hypans - Primitive civilization mod v0.32[WIP]
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:17:52 pm »

Hypans is a collective term for various human tribes that splintered from their parent civilizations at some point in time. Living in isolation most of them never developed beyond the hunter/gatherer state and have adopted a nomadic lifestyle, relying on bone or even wooden tools for their everyday needs. Some of them however have chosen to form more permanent settlements. These tribes would often establish trade relations with neardby towns resulting in a flow of goods and technological knowledge.

- "On The Human Species", Urist Alestride, Explorer/Cartographer -

0. DISCLAIMER:
This is still in a "work in progress" state and as of 18/10/19 this post needs to be rewritten as it doesn't discribe the latest changes properly...

Any suggestions or feedback is welcomed.

1. About the mod:

The goal of this mod is to provide a higher challenge than vanilla Dwarf Fortress, without altering the gameplay too drastically. To that end, I have chosen to limit what resources are available to the Hypan Civ:

• Metalworking is limited to a few basic items (maces, battle axes, picks, arrows,) that can only be made out of copper. The forging of metal weapons and smelting of copper ores will take place in two new workshops, the primitive forge and  the primitive smelter respectively.
  • Most of the hypan specific reactions for weapons and tools will be available at the "primitive tools' category in the craftsman's workshop. Wooden and bone arrows can be made in bulk (stacks of 25) at the bowyer's workshop.
  • Wooden spikes, wooden spiked balls and wooden cages are still available as trap components.The rest of the trap components are available through trade.
  • A new item the "Leather Jack" is basicaly the same as the standard Leather Armor but it's worn in the "over" instead of the "armor" layer in order to allow breastplates to be worn over it. Think about it as a gambeson.
  • Farming as a labour has been disabled in order to provide a bigger incentive for hunting, fishing and plant gathering. I don't expect food shortages to be a problem but it should limit the effectiveness of turtling as a defensive tactic. The mason's workshop has been disabled to reduce the incentive to mine out your fortress in stone and (maybe) force the players to choose between weapon production (ie bone arrows) or trade goods (ie bone crafts). Prepared meals and traps can still be exploited...
  • Trading with other civs is far more important as it's now a major source for higher quality equipment/tools. Raids (assuming they work correctly) and sieges should serve as an interesting alternative.
  • Hypans are considered adults as soon as they reach their 6th year but have a shorter lifespan compared to other creatures in hopes of forcing players to replace their workforce/military more frequently. They are also about the same size as humans (same average but should tend to be shorter) meaning that they should have a slight advantage in combat and they can use two handed weapons BUT they can't use regular steel armor since dwarves won't produce armor for their size. For now they can also enter in battle trances and they learne striking, dodging, wrestling and kicking 20% faster.
  • There a few premade embark builds for anyone who might be interested in them.
  • There is now the option to play without any priorly domesticated animals meaning you won't be getting any caravans from your parent civ, you will only get the first two migrant waves and those migrants will not bring any pets with them.I've made a workaround to get more migrants using dfhack but i'm not sure if or how well it works.

2. Installation:

*The mod is intented to be played with DFHack so certain labours can be disabled without having to disable their whole category. Playing without DFHack is possible but players will now have access to farming so try not use it, I guess.*
  • Only use the version that corresponds to the graphics you are using. As of version 0.1 , supported tileset are the vanilla DF's ASCII and Phoebus graphic's set (for now the mod uses the human graphics for the hypans).
  • Place the mod's raw files in their respective folders within your DF folder (raw/objects to raw/objects , raw/graphics to raw/graphics etc). Replace the old ones where necessary. You might want to keep a back up of anyhting that gets replaced.
  • If you don't want to play with already domesticated animals reaplace the entity_hypan.txt inside Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12/raw/objects folder with the one inside the "no trade". This will also mean that you are going to get any caravans from your parent civ or any more migrants after the first two migrant waves that are hardcoded.
3. Credits:
  • Tarn and Zach Adams for creating Dwarf Fortress in the first place.
  • Random_Dragon, his Kobold Kamp mod was an inspiration for me and I often used his work as a template
  • Phoebus and everyone else that has worked/added on "Phoebus's graphics set".
  • Sackhead, for his More Leather Mod

4. Changelog:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5. Known issues:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 03:52:41 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Hypans - Primitive civilization mod v0.30[WIP]
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 11:08:55 am »

Shameless bump!

Progress has been a bit slow but I think the mod is in good enough state for another release.

My concept for the mod has also changed a bit since the initial release. While I 'm still interested in raising the challenge for the player I also want to give a bit more emphasis on the hypan's background and how it would effect their existance in the game world.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:06:18 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.