Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modded Civs with Economic Settlements Issue.  (Read 1421 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Modded Civs with Economic Settlements Issue.
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:00:59 pm »

So, after testing, and searching around the internet, wiki, asking on forums, ect. I still have not found an answer, and im not sure anyone has yet... Which is why I decided to make a separate thread with this issue, and not for just my sake, but everyone else as well who attempt to find and search for an answer to this issue..

The issue is this:

When Civs and new Civs are modified/added to the game, (Such as humans, elfs, ect.) They always wont want to create economical settlements close by to your fortress as it would work as Dwarf Civ. There are chances of nearby Cave inhabited Civs joining you, but without this chance, you cant achieve Baron, ect. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Or know what is the cause of this issue?

I tried testing to see if [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:_] tag had any reason with it, but after 4 years, the only thing that by chance that economically joined me was a nearby cave Civ that was similar civ as mine. (testing things out as a human, but that cave had a civ that lived in town/halmets). Not sure how well I would say that isn't a tag that solves this issue when I've only done 1 test with it.. but Wiki, ect says nothing else about that tag. I have also checked Position tags to see if there was anything relavent with the issue but there doesn't seem to be one. I double checked on DF wiki again and looked up the requirements for settlements to show up and join you, but I met all the requirements, even the generic "hills or grasslands" req that would be there for dwarfs, since my humans show up and have support living there as well, and there is plenty of space as well.

Anyone else know any info on this issue?

Edited:
Known ways of achieving economical links:

1. Close nearby Cave Civ randomly being linked with you. (happens half the time)
2. Having Other Civs conquer another nearby site near you. (only 2 cases recorded as of typing this)
3. A Chance of your members that recently took over a location, to move away to make a new site. (only happened once for me)
4. A Civ that is the same as yours that had their site depopulated may repopulate and change to economically link with you.
5. Taking over other locations (unconfirmed)
6. A Chance of a site appearing after you retire the fortress.

If anyone has any info, let us know!
I wanted to make this thread to help those who are searching for this exact issue!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:01:01 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Civs with Economic Settlements Issue.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:21 pm »

I'm not 100% certain but I think you have to take over other towns/cities/fortresses to gain baron + ranks now. I could be wrong, its just something I heard. So 50/50 chance its true.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:13:37 am »

That's just a low last resort option, normally with Dwarfs, within 2-4 years, I would of had hillocks near my fortress, and would of gotten  a barony the following diplomat, but when playing as any other Civ, (human, Elf,  ect), they would never show. Even while testing Civs in my mod that use Fortress/hillock sites, it never happened.

Infact, I had a human Civ for 8 years once, and took over 2 dark pits and 1 dark fortress, and still never gotten a barony.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 08:27:05 am »

I got a hamlet on a hill from a foreign human civ; Legends mode says it was founded by my civilization in year 2 then reclaimed twice by a neighboring civilization after two roc attacks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:38:54 am by Flying Teasets »
Not here at the moment

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:58:12 pm »

Yeah. I kinda figured that was possible.. but its still not the same normal way tho :c

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:32:14 pm »

So after 4 and a half years of fun with the humans.. I decided to retire to see if anything would show up. (previously nothing ever did unless it was the Dwarves Civ)

But to my surprise... a hamlet showed up after retiring...

Ive had moments with dwarves where I never had a hillock show up and join me till after I retired, but this could be the exact case for the humans.. I will continue to test and mess around!

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 06:55:22 pm »

@Fatace did you give the humans dwarf-style government positions?
Not here at the moment

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:03:41 pm »

Yes, they have exactly the same, in fact, im currently going through positions now to fix anything I missed with others pertaining to Forest Retreat and dark pit/fortress civs. But besides that, all but 1 Town/Halmet Civs have basically the exact same positions as dwarves.

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 09:57:04 am »

Huh. I'm not sure, I've been fucking around w/ All Races Playable recently w/ Meph's and some homebrewed modding but I've always had the problem of getting a barony way too fast with my Human settlement. Considering I like to build above-ground settlements w/ my humans, it then becomes a pain in the ass to give them a nice house n' also fortify it.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 02:55:07 pm »

Its probly due to caves or other sites joining you after it was reclaimed.. meph's tileset is just a tileset.. not really a mod So it wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »

Good News!? I think.

So in my world, As humans, after about 3 years, a actual halmet showed up.. at first I thought it was a already exsisting halmet, but I double checked from a screenshot I took and it wasn't their.. looked at legends mode and its brand spanking new, and instantly economically linked to me.. Yay I can get baron then? Well sadly I will refuse if I get offered because I made this Military Civ to take out another evil 1 that was destroying 2 Civs.. We beat them and took over their dark fortress.. but upon checking the new hamlet.. 4 of the settlers from the team I sent north to conqour and occupy that dark fortress.. now live in the halmet..

Checked the legends mode for the dark fortress and it doesn't say they were re-takin over by the enemy... im so confused..

but I guess this is another way to get economically linked Civs? Will keep a watch on it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:11 am »

So, I'm currently playing a modded civ. They're a variation on Dwarves but with more limitations on where they build their Hillocks.

So far I've had one Hillocks get created by another civ in order to link to me economically. That got me offered a barony.

And just now, a human hamlet was conquered by goblins thus becoming economically linked to me. That's an odd one. Enemy of my enemy is my economic partner I guess...

Waiting for my own civ to build something nearby, but I don't think there's enough space in the appropriate biomes, so might not happen on this embark.