Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma-Safe Critters  (Read 630 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Magma-Safe Critters
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:27:39 pm »

Are dragons magma-safe?

Other than fire imps and magma crabs, are there any other critters that are magma-safe?

I'm asking for a friend who is definitely not me building a magma moat.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Magma-Safe Critters
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:38:10 pm »

From DFwiki
"[Dragons] are immune to both fire and magma; however, they can still drown if immersed in the latter."
Haven't tested the drowning bit myself, but it seems about right.  :D

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 10:47:49 pm »

Ninja'ed

Dragons' bodies will not burn in magma. They may drown in magma, however; though they can swim innately, so probably shouldn't as long as there's breathing space above the surface. Dragons also do not possess the extra senses that let them "see" through magma, making them unlikely to navigate well.

The wiki doesn't have a magma category; but there's a close approximation for fire immune: the five creatures in that list that begin with "fire" or "magma" can survive and move in magma, and I'm not aware of any magma natives that are not listed there. One or two others (iron men??) might be able to survive with similar caveats as dragons.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:15:00 pm »

Well, thank you for the input. I don't know how I missed that dragons were magma immune on the wiki.

It is a single high moat of magma, so I doubt that they will drown immediately... we will have to see.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 03:01:58 am »

Apart from those, titan/FBs and clowns are immune to magma heat (even when they're composed out of snow...). However, they're not equipped with magma vision, so I had an FB sitting at the bottom of the magma sea under constant harassment from a magma critter (I don't remember if it was a magma crab or fire imp) without fighting back (the attacks never caused any harm, of course).