Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Apex Legends  (Read 2644 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Apex Legends
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:54:43 am »

So, who is having fun with this actually pretty good F2P FPS game?
I'm not really into Battle Royale games, but the combat in this reminds me of good old Battlefield/COD/Halo/Quake days sometimes.
Current favorite Legend is Pathfinder, with a Longbow and R99...even though a Peacekeeper seems more smart for it, or a Wingman (if only I could aim...).

Apex Legends is a Free-to-Play Battle Royale by the same guys who did Titanfall and arguably the same that made COD MW1 and COD MW2.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apex Legends
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:58:08 am »

I played most of the other Battle Royales available (PUBG, Fortnite, Ring of Elysium, Realm Royale), but I still prefer Apex Legends.

About your loadout, it seems cool : the R99 can replace the peacekeeper in most situations, it's simply a different way to deal with close-range combat. After all, the R99 is considered to be the "best" SMG around.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:56 am »

I like it. Smooth gameplay, likable visuals, decent map design, surprisingly bug-free gameplay... except the CTDs and server issues. Netcode is miserable (cliient->server delay is 2-3x higher than other popular BRs), characters are too edgy, and this is probably the least interesting take possible on "titanfall universe battle royale". Once the server/crash issues are cleared up and we get a couple content drops, it'll be in a good place.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 06:20:33 am »

The character design is probably intended for kids/teenagers because the phrases and posing they do is just grating to me.
Occasionally when playing i just feel that they should just have made it into deathmatch or something because thats what the gameplay feels like, especially considering the armor upgrades provides too much health.
The game is intended for melee to mid range fights because, except for a few reasons like shooting at a group in a fight or if they actualy haven't found armor, its almost impossible to get an actual kill(not down) as the armor outmatches any sniperrifles except for the special drop one.
This is a game of teamplay, not much because of tactics but mostly because the group that runs together and can focus fire is the one that wins due to health/armor.
The option to let the game fix the graphics to a desired FPS was interesting, exept it made me feel like i lost my glasses and everything was just blurry. Turning off AA lets me see people moving on the other side of the map like signal lights which is also kinda bad.

This game can provide some fun for a while and its free, and while pubg is a bug riddled(mostly fixed) mess written by monkeys, I still prefere it as a BR game over this.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:06:18 pm »

Really wanted to try it, sadly it has issues with Phenom processors, it uses SSE4.2 if im not mistaken and while it can be patched, they confirmed they wont, so i couldnt give it a try.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:30:44 pm »

I'm not really into battle royale because I was never really into deathmatch games to begin with unless it was screwing around against bots in Perfect Dark or Unreal Tournament etc.
From what little I know however this seems to be the most 'polished' deathmatch game that's come out recently, and it's free which is neat. It does have EA's name associated with it, and it seems people were hoping that if Anthem failed then EA would end up going under (and release all of the IPs that they have killed) but apparently people also believe Apex is going to prop them back up again. We'll see whether this means EA thinks 'oh lootboxes and microtransactions still work as a business model' or think 'oh, releasing good games is a good business model', or if Apex is another flavor of the month game that people will move on from once the next shiny thing comes out probably later this year if I had to guess.

Edit: a friend in my discord group is upset because he says this basically means Titanfall 3 will never be a thing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:34:29 pm by Ozyton »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:48:11 pm »

I don't know, I don't feel EA would fuck with Apex because the main devs have gone through these rodeos before with Activision and walked away from it and skillfully stole almost all of their old team. I don't think EA is in a good position to mess with their only hit at this moment.

Respawn can easily corner the market if they put in the work. Those vehicles spread around the map don't just look like they were meant to be props..
Focusing on adding new game modes and even maps is a sure fire way to dominate the competition. It was really cool to see they adding a new gun so quick. I even see Overwatch streamers now only playing and talking about Apex.

Funny enough, 80% of people I play with are nice and even say stuff like "Good try, thanks" at the end of a round. Meanwhile in Overwatch I try playing a match or two when some friend invites me, but I Alt+F4 out of it very quick due to the mix of dumb and toxic playerbase. The weird thing is that Overwatch is B2P.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:55:24 pm »

The poor sportsmanship of people on the internet in general is one of the things that deters me from playing competitive games in the first place, but maybe you just happened to get lucky enough to be put in matches with decent humans? Considering how popular this game is getting (I can only assume it's getting popular) it should only be a matter of time until it's filled with shitty people.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 12:05:06 am »

Funny enough, 80% of people I play with are nice and even say stuff like "Good try, thanks" at the end of a round.

I'm glad you're having a good time with randos. In most of my games, people are just silent. They don't stick together and we end up getting picked off one by one. I have good teammates occasionally, but generally speaking I only play when my friend is available.

As for the game itself, it has dethroned PUBG in my eyes. Hero's with abilities are much more satisfying to play as than regular dudes. The game has bullet drop and attachments (something Fortnite is severely lacking), it doesn't force you to learn a weird esoteric skill at a high level to stay competitive (If I wanted to build things rapidly with hotkeys, I would be playing Starcraft, not an FPS!), and it has the AAA polish to boot! Movement is just so satisfying, especially as pathfinder!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 12:38:34 am »

When you shoot people, they don't turn into eight-story tall buildings.

Admittedly, I have some difficulty properly using the abilities characters have (For example, since Bangalore's smoke bomb obscures vision for enemies and allies and you, I tend to just not use it at all), and some weapons are apparently just objectively worse than others (Mozambique and Alternator come to mind), but I still think it's a fairly good game.

I'd take it over Fortnite, and PUBG costs roughly $40 something dollars if memory serves, so I'm not gonna go play that.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 01:15:24 am »

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not having a good time with randos.. almost all of my games are losses, and I probably had 10-15 wins in 32 hours. Yep...
And people are bad. They can be just as bad as your usual Overwatch player (which is probably the worst playerbase I've ever seen), the most frustrating to infuriating stuff I see is people that...

- ..Disconnect after dying when the remaining squad members can clearly (and do) wipe out the enemy squads and could respawn them.
- ..Walk off on their on IN THE OPEN. They could at least get some cover if they wanna pretend to be proplayers or "solo squad".
- ..Head out to loot a building away from the squad, as if this was Fallout 4 or some thing. They get picked off alone and disconnect.
- ..Generally not care/understand positioning and when to engage and disengage. This isn't a COD campaign, the game is not on rails and retreat is a valid option most of the time. The game makes a really good job of making fully disengaging the worse option to take 75% of the time, but there are still windows of opportunity to back off, heal up, reposition and try again.
- ..Fail to think of anything besides shooting their gun. Strategy and tactics can still turn tides. A random care-package lands near the squad and a teammember is already on the way? Cover him...no, wait, all squad members should blindly go dance around the care package and die by taking 600 damage out of grenades and arc stars.
- ..Fail to realize simple things like not stand around idling in the edge of the safe zone when the circle is closing, because the obvious will happen: there are people positioned in the safe zone waiting to take those getting late to the circle by surprise, there are those late to the circle desperate and distracted, and there are those that are late but are hunting for the former two groups. And they all meet in the same spot: the edges of the circle. At least get inside a house or something.

You know, the usual stuff. I don't really mind losing, but being paired with stupid is still 50% or more of my matches. When I get a squad with a basic understanding of the above points, the chances of getting top 3 or even winning are much higher, even if no one can aim. And matches that are lost when people don't act full stupid can still be crazy fun, I just had a match where my squad dominated every engagement and got 14 squad kills, but still got ranked 10th or something. Doesn't matter because each engagement was great, messy and fun as hell.

Bangalore's smoke bomb obscures vision for enemies and allies and you, I tend to just not use it at all
I found that using it to remove any position advantage from the enemy is very good, especially if they are not very bright. Using the Bangalore smoke on a hunkered down squad may make one or two of them push forward and one retreat, etc. It's also hilarious to hit enemies and deal damage with it to give a bonus scare.

In my case I'm baffled that in my hands, Mirage is useless. All my enemies don't care about Decoys and they always see through my ult no matter what. Meanwhile I see lot of ~~sick plays~~ on Youtube and people with 1000 Kills and 5000 Bamboozles on their trackers.
Everyone else I can use more or less, but Pathfinder is my favorite by far. It seems he has a way bigger hitbox in the head area than other characters though, so it explains why I get melted by people with R99, R301 or Peacekeeper. Thankfully I don't bump into many people that make good use of the Wingman, G7 or Longbow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:36:22 am by Gabeux »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 01:59:30 am »

I've personally been playing almost exclusively Bloodhound, but I really do want to get into other characters. I have a hard time getting a lot of use out of Bloodhound's passive or Q (wallhack) abilities; both seem just a little too low-range to be very useful, and the after-image produced by their Q has blocked my view more than once. The fact it also gives away my own location seems a bit counterproductive. Their ultimate is pretty strong though, the movement speed bonus makes either of the two large shotguns very deadly.

The real reason I haven't bothered with the others is because Pathfinder is the only character I really like the design of. Mirage is alright too, but my friend group has someone who dedicates herself to the character. Lifeline, Caustic, Bangalore, and Wraith all have a bit too much edge to them. Gibraltar is fine but I don't like the playstyle. I sincerely hope we get some variety in the roster.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:07:56 am by Rex_Nex »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 02:24:26 am »

I have a friend who uses Bloodhound mostly when there is a Bangalore in the group.

It's really useful to see the enemies through the smoke easily (and it help to be good with shotguns and SMGs).

Also, it's cool to assault buildings, so you can know where the enemies are hidden inside the building.

concerning the fact that the Q reveals your position, it can be used to bluff the enemies into thinking your team is in the East side of a building, while your team-mates attack from the West side, while you do attack from the  East 2 seconds later. Of course, this is a little too much evolved for pick up group, but if you can play with friends with mics, it's cool ;)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 11:36:04 am »

I've been enjoying Apex Legends too although none of my friends play it so I usually play with randoms. I don't usually like battle royales, but this one clicked. I'm just worried for the future of the game because with Anthem looking like hot garbage and their stock likely taking another hit for it, you know EA is going to force the Apex devs to crank up monetization.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 12:40:33 am »

Anybody playing on Xbox and having issues with voice chat? The ping system isn't great and I can't hear anybody, and I have no idea if they can hear me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2