Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Am I mad for playing without DFHack or a loader?  (Read 3975 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Am I mad for playing without DFHack or a loader?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 12:17:31 pm »

I tend to vet immirants upon arrival (Therapist helps with this, but isn't necessary) by assessing them for their destiny(/ies) and 'marking' them with a) A nickname related to the destiny, b) Removal of corpse-hauling susceptibility as an additional flag (temporarily reversible if ever needed, but is my go-to 'dump-unstat') and c) Absolutely removing fish-related or hunting skills because I just can't handle fishing or hunting (these days that I don't need them to offset famine).  With notes set aside that, having just gained an expert jeweller/whatever, I might need to put a new appropriately focussed workshop down for them shortly, to cover an unanticipated shortfall.

Therapist helps mostly when I have a rush-job on (e.g. dumping stone from an area I want cleared after digging out, block hyper-production and/or rapid wall construction) and I take the non-urgent experts and amateurs in other fields to flood the currently appropriate work-types with help I need.With some quick sorting and clicking it's quicker than in raw DF, simpler than switching in Hack and seeing what kind of more apt work-managing utils there are (or scripting my own for "reset everyone not currently {farming, smithing, brewing, ...} to [expert] level to take on {dumping, masonry, building construction, ...}" and perhaps simultaneously record the changes to make the Undo script simpler than having to work out who to revert and who not to.  A practiced eye applied to each circumstance seems to work better than fussing about finding a supposed one-click solution into sort it out that'll probably need more fussing about to correct/update later.  ;)  Or, if someone has somehow made exactly the thing I need then is the trouble to learn its operation worth that time?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 11:35:05 am »

Am I the only one who uses DFhack, but not therapist, lnp or a graphics pack?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 04:42:07 pm »

I tend to vet immirants upon arrival (Therapist helps with this, but isn't necessary) by assessing them for their destiny(/ies) and 'marking' them with a) A nickname related to the destiny, b) Removal of corpse-hauling susceptibility as an additional flag (temporarily reversible if ever needed, but is my go-to 'dump-unstat') and c) Absolutely removing fish-related or hunting skills because I just can't handle fishing or hunting (these days that I don't need them to offset famine).  With notes set aside that, having just gained an expert jeweller/whatever, I might need to put a new appropriately focussed workshop down for them shortly, to cover an unanticipated shortfall.

Therapist helps mostly when I have a rush-job on (e.g. dumping stone from an area I want cleared after digging out, block hyper-production and/or rapid wall construction) and I take the non-urgent experts and amateurs in other fields to flood the currently appropriate work-types with help I need.With some quick sorting and clicking it's quicker than in raw DF, simpler than switching in Hack and seeing what kind of more apt work-managing utils there are (or scripting my own for "reset everyone not currently {farming, smithing, brewing, ...} to [expert] level to take on {dumping, masonry, building construction, ...}" and perhaps simultaneously record the changes to make the Undo script simpler than having to work out who to revert and who not to.  A practiced eye applied to each circumstance seems to work better than fussing about finding a supposed one-click solution into sort it out that'll probably need more fussing about to correct/update later.  ;)  Or, if someone has somehow made exactly the thing I need then is the trouble to learn its operation worth that time?
I dont use df hack or anything like that either.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »

I used to use DFhack over Therapist (with a basic tileset). Manipulator bring part of the regular interface was much less immersion breaking to me than switching to Therapist (and I wasn't using any of Therapist's other functions).

I don't use it anymore for playing, but I keep a copy of the game with the latest Dfhack version on hand in case there's something I need to check in Legends Viewer which doesn't export in vanilla.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 10:20:40 am »

No, I do the same. Only mod I use is an added joint tag to spines.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 10:33:58 am »

Only mod I use is an added joint tag to spines.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 11:05:33 am »

Exactly that. And stealth-neck-snaps.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:08 pm »

No. It's quite reasonable - I stick to the default ASCII in addition, so I don't use tile sets. I used to use mods, though, but not so much anymore.

One really good use of DFhack is to "upgrade" the world to the latest version if the reactions in the raws are missing or something, which I've done before. Generally I then shift the save to a non-DFhack install of the game.

Regarding labor management, when you get enough dwarves they become hard to manage. Naturally. However, in the more recent versions of the game, dwarves have additional attributes, interests, dreams, and stats and you can work those around the labours you give them. If you're into your dwarves' personalities and so on, it helps to look over them individually.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 11:45:47 am »

I usually dfhack reveal the game at the very beginning to look at the layout, then unreveal immediately thereafter (and forget most of it)

Also I find this game tiresome to manage labors without Dwarf Therapist when you start to have more than 30 dwarves.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 10:46:57 am »

I never found Therapist all that useful.
Pages: 1 [2]