Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 110478 times)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2019, 02:08:10 pm »

Both it is, as information transfer is pretty instantaneous I reckon!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2019, 02:11:28 pm »

...If we're asking for books, some formal history of this country would be good. Because we don't know anything as-is.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2019, 02:29:00 pm »

Okokok, so things to learn:
Self-Defense Manuals
History Book
Map of City
*insert lore dump here, unless GM says NO.*
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2019, 04:44:58 am »

Just download the entire library. What could possibly go wrong?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2019, 08:34:22 am »

What could possibly go wrong?

I could make a list, but I don't want to.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:23 am »

What could possibly go wrong?
As always, everything.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2019, 06:25:07 am »

Just download the entire library. What could possibly go wrong?
Spoiler: This could happen. (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2019, 09:40:35 pm »

...Could we get that self-defense manual in our head really quick? A theory of combat is better than what we have right now, which is nothing. And besides, we can train using its guidance as we go about our overthrowing of the government and all that.

Okokok, so things to learn:
Self-Defense Manuals
History Book
Map of City
*insert lore dump here, unless GM says NO.*

"Woah, woah" Esme says, apparently glad for the change of subject. "I'm sure instant memory transfer seems like a very fun toy but there are limitations on it. Namely how quickly we do it. No, before you ask, there's no chance of it popping your melon so to speak but your brain isn't meant to take in huge memory dumps. One books is fine enough but if we did two or three in quick succession the memories would be blurred, all muddled together because your mind didn't have time to parse them out and file them away like it prefers. If I gave you a pilot's manual and a self defense book you'd probably start remembering that the way you start a gyrocopter is with a roundhouse kick. It could be very inconvenient, particularly if you react quickly.   Anything that can be done the old fashion way in a reasonable manner should be done that way, keep the memory transfer to...a book a day or so.

I think the most critical thing here is your Necromancy; its your greatest asset so learning to use it is vital.  And thats where that thing I was talking about earlier could come in.  One thing I remember about necromancy and the Anima is that when a living thing dies the memories it has are sort of...bled off into the anima.  Supposedly  necromancers can...for lack of a better word, eat them. Some use them as part of undead constructs but others use them to gain information from the dead.  If you can learn to do that, you might be able to learn a whole lot.

So....I think a Necromancy book should be first, then we can get you a map and maybe a history book like you want. Though I'll warn you that its gonna be pretty heavily censored. The Ministry likes its propaganda.   Self defense manual or something like it comes next. We can also ask Ol' Nick up there to give you some training. 

Sound like a plan?"

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:24 pm »

Yeah, that sounds good, I'm sorry I assumed that that would work out perfectly.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2019, 11:28:28 pm »

Sounds good. Eating the memories of the damned here we come!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2019, 02:44:36 am »

Is she suggesting we kill people? I mean, I'm all for eating some brains but murder of people with useful skills is a quick way to get caught. Or is she suggesting we hang around a hospital or similar and wait for people to kick the bucket?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2019, 04:28:11 am »

Since we do not know how this memory eating thing works, let's just get the necromancy book. It may require them to be killed by us, or it may not. It may even not need to be recently deceased.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2019, 10:30:04 am »

Blah blah blah necromancy
Blah blah eat all the memories
the way you start a gyrocopter is with a roundhouse kick
Anything that can be done blah blah should be done that way

Joking. Very interesting, recommend the necromancy book followed by a map/history book. Also recommend we do not kill people for their memories just yet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2019, 12:00:49 pm »

"Alright." Esme says and stands up, brushing off her skirt and straightening her shawl, "I have the perfect book in mind."

You both head back up the ladder -you first this time at her insistence- and she leads you back to the library proper. She has you stay at the stairway while she fetches the book and returns a few moments later carrying a rather thin book with a black cover and no visible title. You both head back up to the attic living area and she takes you not to her room but to a different one. Its much the same, just a single room sort of living space, but far more bare bones and lacking any sort of personal items.

"This is the room that anyone passing through uses, it will be yours until we can get something better set up.  We're going to need to get you a cover and some fake papers...We'll worry about that tomorrow morning. For now, lets get this loaded into your head." She yawns after she says this and you realize it must be quite late.

Esme gestures at the bed and has you lay down. She drags a chair over and sits down next to the head of the bed, the book held in her left hand while she places her right on your forehead.

"I've never tried this with an undead," she admits, "Hopefully it will still work the same way..."  She closes her eyes and you see her face slacken and relax, all her focus on the work at hand. As you watch the book begins to disgorge what look like worms, however on closer inspection they are actually wriggling sentences, text moving impossibly out and across the book. The sentences squirm down onto Esme's skin and rapidly wriggle up her shirt sleeve, appearing again a few moments later coming out of the opposite sleeve. They crawl down her fingers and leap onto your skin.

The feeling of the memories being implanted is very odd. Its not the feeling of learning something new, its the feeling of remembering something you forgot. You're not sure if thats because it actually is information you forgot or simply the way this works. Regardless, the mechanisms of necromancy flood your mind.  The information is terse and extremely mechanical, no mention of theory or reason, just the basics of how things should be done.

The plane you can see, that thing always just within reach over your head is the Anima. It is what most people call a "Soul".  The Anima is connected to all living things and it is that connection that allows them to live. A necromancer is one who can manipulate the Anima and place the power of life into nonliving things. Any object can be used but corpses and the remnants of living things are far easier than inanimate objects.  As such they are almost exclusively used.

A necromantic creation requires three main things: The body, the core, and the Anima connection. The body is whatever is going to be moving around or acting. Lets call it a human corpse for now.  The core is the connection point between the body and the Anima.  Normal living things have nebulous connections; their entire being is their "Core" but a necromantic creation has a single concentrated core which acts as the conduit for the Anima to the rest of the body. Damage or destruction of the core will result in the severing of the connection and the "death" of the creation.

The connection to the Anima is made physically; a necromancer should be able to physically grab the fabric of the Anima and wrap it around the core. This process takes mana; mana is the common name for physical energy. Many necromancers believe that Mana and Anima are the same thing, just in different forms, but for the purposes of this text such considerations are unimportant. Know only that larger, more complex, and more powerful creations require greater amounts of mana to connect to the Anima.

Necromantic creations are not conscious. What consciousness is and how it relates to the anima is beyond the scope of this text, know only that a necromantic creation is not the same as a resurrected person. Their natural states are that of animated puppets, no more.  There are two major ways to give the creation motive force and the ability to act.   The first is direct control. This is done via the necromancer placing some of their own fresh blood on the core of the creation. This establishes a link between the "conscious anima" of the creator and the "unconscious anima" of the creation.  Creations puppeted like this have limited initiative and follow directions only to the best of their limited understanding. It is believed a small amount of the "mind" of the necromancer is instilled into each puppet, hence the "Madness" observed in necromancers with too many active puppets.

The second method is the use of Anima phantoms. These are the creatures viewed living in the Anima. They can be lured of caught and forcibly placed in a creation.  These creatures are intelligent enough to "pilot" the creation and will follow instructions of the Necromancer as long as they are kept fed. These creatures eat two things: Memories and Mana.  If the necromancer cannot keep them fed they will either abandon the creation and leave it in an inactive state or, more dangerously, begin attempting to feed themselves. This is the reason why untended creations sometimes go "Berserk" and begin to kill. Killing frees both mana and Memories for the Anima phantoms to eat.   

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2019, 02:02:00 am »

Maybe we should meditate on what we just learned and see if we get any additional incite.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 94