Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 108498 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2019, 04:40:47 am »

Recall if it's possible to see through or use the senses of the puppet ourselves, if we can sense how many we have active/when one is destroyed, and if signal strength/latency becomes an issue when the puppet is far away.

Hmm. I wonder if the stuff we can absorb from books with Esme's help counts as "memories" that Anima Phantoms can eat. If so, that could be a source of food for them, as large as the library itself.
Do Anima Phantoms only eat specific kinds of memories, or do they just devour anything? Does it matter how emotional/interesting the memories are?
+1

As funny as this is, a mouse with a nail shoved down it's throat is not a good spy, because it is obviously undead.
Another thing to recall: Do undead naturaly decay?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2019, 06:24:44 am »

As funny as this is, a mouse with a nail shoved down it's throat is not a good spy, because it is obviously undead.
We just need to shove the nail in further, or get a smaller nail.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2019, 06:27:12 am »

Or just use the mouse's heart.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2019, 12:41:42 pm »

I wonder if we can anchor to a claw or something that's naturally external. Probably risks damaging it, though.

Do different anchors have different properties? Is there a reason a necromancer might favor the heart over the liver or a length of rib, for instance?

Do we recall if anima phantoms eat memories OR mana or memories AND mana? More specifically, is there any way to keep an anima phantom servant without going insane or killing things for it?

We'd have to physically wrap it, though, which would require some surgery.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2019, 01:09:17 pm »

Hmm. I wonder if the stuff we can absorb from books with Esme's help counts as "memories" that Anima Phantoms can eat. If so, that could be a source of food for them, as large as the library itself.

Uh, excuse me but that's clever as hell, we could store BS useless memories to power our necromantic might. Points for locating the most absurdly useless information possible to utilize in this manner. One excruciatingly detailed book on the mating habits of seahorses, please.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »

Yeah, but it's no like it needs its flesh. It's just padding. Just armor. Cut a hole and then apply some duct tape and you're done.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2019, 02:04:28 pm »

Yeah, but it's no like it needs its flesh. It's just padding. Just armor. Cut a hole and then apply some duct tape and you're done.

I mean, I was assuming it needed things like muscles to function, but I guess Piecewise Skellington gets around. Would having musculature increase the physical ability of an animated subject?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2019, 11:49:10 am »

Recall if it's possible to see through or use the senses of the puppet ourselves, if we can sense how many we have active/when one is destroyed, and if signal strength/latency becomes an issue when the puppet is far away.

Do Anima Phantoms only eat specific kinds of memories, or do they just devour anything? Does it matter how emotional/interesting the memories are?
+1

Another thing to recall: Do undead naturaly decay?
You can't see through their eyes or really "Sense" anything directly. However, like with Piecewise in the closet, they can sort of broadcast their understanding of the world to you.  If you try it with the mouse you get the impression the room you're in and that there is a person here. The mouse appears to have poor human differentiation because it can't tell you anything specific about yourself. To the mouse you're just "A human". Not even that really, just a big thing on two legs. You can sense how many are active and generally how strong the "Signal" is via the heartbeats in your head.

Anima phantoms seem to eat any memories but they like the memories of sentient beings best, judging by the book. Might be due to general "Interesting-ness" of the memories or something about sapience.

The undead do...not decay naturally but they also do not heal or bleed or anything like that. An undead that gets injured will always have that injury unless it is literally mechanically fixed by sewing it together or something similar.

I wonder if we can anchor to a claw or something that's naturally external. Probably risks damaging it, though.

Do different anchors have different properties? Is there a reason a necromancer might favor the heart over the liver or a length of rib, for instance?

Do we recall if anima phantoms eat memories OR mana or memories AND mana? More specifically, is there any way to keep an anima phantom servant without going insane or killing things for it?

You think about what you've learned...the book said nothing about the nature of the anchors, as in any differences between particular objects. There probably are some but it might be more in the theory or advanced practices.

You remember that a servant can be feed pure mana instead of memories. Mana, as the book says, is considered by necromancers to be somehow connected to the Anima.

You think back to when you killed the mouse. You remember...something coming out of it but you can't recall exactly what it was. Just some shimmering stuff that went up when the Anima connection failed. Maybe the mouse's memories?  You're not sure you want to eat the memories of a mouse...but they might be good. Mice hear lots of things, see lots of things. Hmm.

In any case, you grab one of the nails and carefully jam it down the mouse's throat before reaching up and grabbing at the Anima. As you touch it, the red glow of your ring flows up your arm in little pulses and with a cold tingle you catch hold of the fabric of life. You pull it down; it resists more than you imagined it would but not hugely so and you carefully wrap it around the head of the nail, which is still sticking out from the mouse's mouth. The ring flashes once more as the connection is made and then the mouse's body shivers. With an odd muffled squeak it rises up onto its legs again and then stands perfectly still.

MOUSE.

HOVER MODE.

Also congratulations to us, if we weren't a necromancer before, we sure are now! Let's maybe bring our mouse friend along as we try to learn some of the other things on our list the natural way in the library.

You teach the mouse hover mode and it immediately begins bouncing up and down with odd, stiff motions and repeated squeaks.

Hmmm which subject to look into first?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2019, 03:57:12 pm »

Let's do some experiments.
Bind Mouse Zombie by it's tongue. Without releasing it first.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2019, 04:51:30 pm »

Alexander Kelly was apparently a big deal, maybe we can find a biography on him or something. Even if it ends up being full of propaganda, we could probably glean some insight into his deeds and reputation.

After all, anything he did, we can most likely do as well.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2019, 05:44:28 am »

Alexander Kelly was apparently a big deal, maybe we can find a biography on him or something. Even if it ends up being full of propaganda, we could probably glean some insight into his deeds and reputation.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2019, 12:34:33 pm »

+1

Oh geez yeah this is important isn't it

+1

Also we should probably try to get on everyone else's sleeping schedule at some point, recommend we go to sleep after this.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2019, 01:51:10 pm »

+1

Oh geez yeah this is important isn't it

+1

Also we should probably try to get on everyone else's sleeping schedule at some point, recommend we go to sleep after this.

You head downstairs -quietly- and start looking around. First you search the card catalog for the name but find nothing other than the fact that apparently he shares the name with someone who writes books on archeology. A quick check of publication dates reveals that they cannot be the same person unless he was writing long treatises about ancient pottery when he was a toddler.  Next you move on to history books, though this is also a disappointment because the library's arcane focus means the books tend to be very focused and limited in terms of their content, with little reference to larger world events. Still, you pick up a few and skim them quickly, looking for any mention of the name but finding none.  Next you search through what you think might be relevant texts, specifically any reference you can find to necromancy that was written in the last 10 years or so. Here you do find mention of him but nothing much about his life. Mostly its references to his work, which seems to be related to the connection between sapience, the body, and the Anima. Specifically they mention his usage of captured memories being infused into necromantic puppets to allow a degree of rudimentary intelligence, though the results are apparently still highly experimental and unstable.

It occurs to you, as you read, that considering what you've heard of the state of this country it might be likely that any information about Alexander might have been edited or removed. Entire books might have been stripped from the library; anything that portrayed him as anything more than a researcher.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2019, 03:03:56 pm »

Hmm, so we're more of a particularly advanced puppet, rather than a very smart Anima Phantom. Means we don't have to eat people's minds to survive, I guess.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2019, 03:59:12 pm »

Everyone needs a hobby, though, and souls are delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 94