Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 110433 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 09:49:09 pm »

Hrm. Gonna be hard to carry him around with us. But then, I guess we might be crashing here? Hard to say, our note just said to ask for someone in the library. Though this is a hotel room and we don't feel like being caught, so maybe skidaddling is better...

Look around for concealing clothes to let Piecewise come with us without attracting undue racism and bigotry. Also look around for a map or something so we can figure out where this address we were given is.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:41 pm »

Like, look out the window. Where even are we. What's it like.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 09:56:09 pm »

Hrm. Gonna be hard to carry him around with us. But then, I guess we might be crashing here? Hard to say, our note just said to ask for someone in the library. Though this is a hotel room and we don't feel like being caught, so maybe skidaddling is better...

An abandoned hotel room.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 02:21:11 am »

Look around for concealing clothes to let Piecewise come with us without attracting undue racism and bigotry. Also look around for a map or something so we can figure out where this address we were given is.
Maybe he can hide in a closet or something?
Piecewise could be a literal skeleton in our closet.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 06:17:19 am »

We could cover it in a sheet and say its a ghost.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 01:51:30 pm »

We could cover it in a sheet and say its a ghost.

+1
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 01:15:37 pm »

Ask piecewise to do something impossible.  Like, say, float upwards to the ceiling.

Like, look out the window. Where even are we. What's it like.

You concentrate on sending a command to Piecewise, asking him to do something impossible. You decide to command him to hover.  For a few seconds he just sort of stands there but then he raises himself up onto his toes and starts hopping up and down.  Hmm it seems as though he's trying his best to accomplish the task, but is unable to fully comply. He would probably just keep trying indefinitely if you didn't tell him to stop, so you cancel the order.  This is an important point, you think, because it means the Skeleton lacks any sort of restraint against doing the impossible; it will simply attempt to comply as best as possible.

You go over to the open window and look around. Most of your view taken up by the huge concrete apartment building across from you, but to the left you see that there is a small strip of grass that runs between the buildings and acts as a border of sorts, and then a chainlink fence, a steep hill, and then an industrial park/ship yards out by what looks like a harbor. Hard to see at night but this is your best interpretation via the lights. To the right is the front of both this hotel and the apartments, and a street. That street looks reasonably trafficked and leads into the city. The lights are on and the great concrete buildings of the city are lit like Christmas tombstones in the dark. There must not be any threat of an air raid tonight if the lights are all on like that.  You stop and lean back into the room.  Air raid? How did  you know that?  You're not even sure what the city is called but...somehow you knew about the air raids. That is very odd indeed.

You do a quick search around the room, looking for some kind of clothing for the skeleton. There are molding sheets on the bed but thats about as close as you get to any kind of clothing, at least in this room. The small closet is empty save for some wire coat hangers and the only thing the drawers of the end tables and and such contain are dust, an ash tray, and a formerly inhabited spider web. 

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 09:53:28 am »

Just put the sheet over him for now, we can get clothing later.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 12:16:42 pm »

And make him walk into the closet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:41 pm »

You concentrate on sending a command to Piecewise, asking him to do something impossible. You decide to command him to hover.  For a few seconds he just sort of stands there but then he raises himself up onto his toes and starts hopping up and down. 

Advise skeleton that this is now known as hover mode. Purpose: So we can later say something like "PIECEWISE. ENTER HOVER MODE!" and then watch him start proudly bouncing on his lil' skelly toes. Additionally, this will test if we can pre-program commands into him.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2019, 04:47:22 pm »

Regardless of whether we're taking Ghost Piecewise with us, let's try to find this Moribund Private Library mentioned on the business card.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 11:12:12 am »

You concentrate on sending a command to Piecewise, asking him to do something impossible. You decide to command him to hover.  For a few seconds he just sort of stands there but then he raises himself up onto his toes and starts hopping up and down. 

Advise skeleton that this is now known as hover mode. Purpose: So we can later say something like "PIECEWISE. ENTER HOVER MODE!" and then watch him start proudly bouncing on his lil' skelly toes. Additionally, this will test if we can pre-program commands into him.
You tell piecewise that his hopping attempts to hover are now what you'll call "Hover mode". You wait a minute or two and then think "Hover mode" at him. He responds by starting to hop in the same way as before.

And make him walk into the closet.
Despite fragmentary knowledge of the world, you're not really sure how the general population will feel about an animated skeleton. It seems normal to you but it might not be. You have a vague sense that people might dislike the meddling with of corpses.  So you take the moldering bed sheet and drape it over the skeleton before commanding him to walk into the small closet and curl up in the corner. Once in place he's pretty inconspicuous; seemingly just a lump of wadded up bedclothes. You close the door to the closet and note that the thin thread that runs from your pricked thumb passes straight though the door and other solid matter, invariably pointing back to the closet.

Regardless of whether we're taking Ghost Piecewise with us, let's try to find this Moribund Private Library mentioned on the business card.
You unlock the door to the hotel room and take note of the room number as you leave. 432. Might be good to come back here some time and grab piecewise but...well you suppose the little "thread" from your finger would let you find him again. The rest of the hotel is equally abandoned and dilapidated, though not to a great degree. You don't worry about floors collapsing under your feet or that the ceiling might cave in, but the paint is peeling, the doors hang open and the rugs are molding. You take the stairs down to the bottom floor and out into the lobby. Its a big place, plenty of room for guests to mill around between the now scattered and decaying sofas and refreshment tables. A chandelier lies in a heap, rusted skeleton still draped in crystal glass. The big glass front doors are surprisingly still intact and swing easily open as you push through into the night beyond.  Front drive and valet area are completely coated in snow and you have to struggle through it till you hit the road.

You look at the card again and then look around at the street signs. This street is called Hemlock road and the nearest intersection is with Nightshade Lane. Judging by the names, Ergot probably isn't far from here. You choose to head right first and follow this road several blocks until finally giving up and turning back. This time you head left and find Ergot just one street down, after Wolfsbane Road. You check the address again and follow the road towards the number. Its quite silent out, and you have seen only a handful of people in this entire time, all of which are similarly bundled up and seem to be making a concerted effort to ignore you and everyone else. That strange layer or plane of iridescent cobwebs is still there, and to your surprise seems to be always at about the same height, just a bit above your head. You see more creatures in it; almost all of them following the primordial fish sort of plan but a few are different. Crab spider things, eels, even, very high up, a whale like creature that you glimpsed only for a few moments.  Whats more, every person you see seems to be producing a similar "Well" in that layer, just like you and the skeleton.

After maybe 20 minutes of walking you arrive at the address indicated on the card. The building it belongs to is a large one, maybe three stories, and built with a solid Romanesque appearance, like an old cathedral cast in concrete instead of stone and mortar. There's light coming from the arched windows but no sign or any identifying markings on the building and the big verdigris covered double doors are shut tight with a thin layer of windblown snow covering the stairs in front of them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:02 am »

Knock on the front door. Also, at some point we need to find out if everyone around here can see flying ghost fish, or if it's just us.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 03:15:32 pm »

It would also be good to test how much Piecewise relies on our own perception and knowledge and how much he can understand about the world on his own. Can he find his way to us when there's a wall between us? Can he automatically open a door or does he need to be instructed to do so? Can he find a shorter path than the one we took/know about? Can he see the strange creatures on the plane?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2019, 04:48:51 pm »

It would also be good to test how much Piecewise relies on our own perception and knowledge and how much he can understand about the world on his own. Can he find his way to us when there's a wall between us? Can he automatically open a door or does he need to be instructed to do so? Can he find a shorter path than the one we took/know about? Can he see the strange creatures on the plane?

Also also hey, can he communicate with us telepathically, and can we still communicate with him at distance? We should send a mental command of some sort and request information (is it dark in the closet, etc) and a confirmation that he has received said request.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 94