Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 110369 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #540 on: September 16, 2019, 09:25:43 am »

Send Piecewise or Esme to go bring us something to kill. Or at least ask her for what she thinks the easiest way to recharge is.
+1
+1
”the air feels thicker than usual”
You somewhat groggily explain your feelings and ask Esme about a way to recharge your mana. The amount of it you have seems directly connected to your physical state in a way quite like that of the spirit bound corpses beside you. You ask her about a way to recharge, such as killing something.

"I doubt," She says, kneeling down in front of you, "that anything that skeleton or I could bring you would give you enough mana to make it worth your while, aside from another human. I'll give you some of my mana."

She takes your hand and you ask if everyone can trade mana or if its something unique to her.

"Everyone has a reserve of mana, though the size varies per person. If someone's reserve is large enough then they are said to have an 'Open Gate' and can manipulate their mana; those are the people who have abilities like  you and me.  Anyone with an open gate can give mana to anyone else with an open gate, though it does take some training to figure it out."

As she talks you feel an odd tingling sensation run into your hand and down your arm. Its as though your entire body had fallen asleep and is now waking up, all pins and needles, oddly stiff. After about a minute she lets go and stands back up, albeit with a bit of a grunt of effort.

"And your reserve seems quite large." She says, yawning.

She looks a fair deal more tired than she did a few minutes ago.  You feel much more awake and that odd detachment from the world has vanished. You stand up and take the change of clothing she brought you, walking behind a shelf to change. As you change you ask how things are looking outside.

"They haven't caught on yet, if thats what you mean. Those men were on patrol till around this time, its gonna take them a while to be missed and for someone to go out looking for them. We've covered our tracks pretty well and any blood or resonant psychic images have decayed past being trackable, as far as I know. They'll probably sweep the route with a remote viewer but chances of them stumbling across the bodies is small."

You come back out and stuff your old clothing into one of the barrels.

"For now we should get going. I don't wanna be anywhere near here when they start looking." She looks at the skeletons all nicely lined up in a row. "What's the plan for those things? They'd look a bit out of place walking down the street, but we shouldn't leave them here in the open."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 16, 2019, 09:58:47 am »

Hm, this is a conundrum. I'm thinking more disguises would be best... trousers, trench-coats and ski-masks maybe? Think, form-concealing stuff. Whatever we can get our hands on in a hurry.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 16, 2019, 10:07:33 am »

Hm, this is a conundrum. I'm thinking more disguises would be best... trousers, trench-coats and ski-masks maybe? Think, form-concealing stuff. Whatever we can get our hands on in a hurry.
+1
When we get back, we should advise Esme to rest. Does sleep recharge mana for her?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #543 on: September 16, 2019, 12:57:22 pm »

They're skeletons. Just fold em up and put them in a suitcase or two or maybe some bags. If we work together with Piecewise and Esme we should be able to carry them away from here.

If Esme doesn't have a suggestion for where to take them, then find some place near that lab Piecewise found. Better to have them nearby in case we need assistance.

If that place is too far away, then just some nearby safe spot will do for now. We can move them closer to the lab later.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 16, 2019, 01:22:30 pm »

They're skeletons. Just fold em up and put them in a suitcase or two or maybe some bags. If we work together with Piecewise and Esme we should be able to carry them away from here.

If Esme doesn't have a suggestion for where to take them, then find some place near that lab Piecewise found. Better to have them nearby in case we need assistance.

If that place is too far away, then just some nearby safe spot will do for now. We can move them closer to the lab later.

+1

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 16, 2019, 03:46:01 pm »

+1

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 16, 2019, 04:43:07 pm »

+1

+1

Oh. Oh yeah! I forgot that was a thing we can do. +1
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 16, 2019, 06:19:28 pm »

+1

+1

I forget, when we took Piecewise back out of his case, did he just sort of assemble himself? We should use separate containers per skeleton in case mixing up the magicked bones causes unexpected !!!FUN!!!.

Additionally, we now have a viable (and successful) proof of concept. We can decide on a higher goal. For instance, we could target some sort of official and peruse his memories in an effort to find higher priority targets and locations. Or, perhaps of higher interest to us, try and find people who know more about who we were and what we were doing making skeletons in a tub full of blood and organs. We obviously had some kind of plan here, maybe we should use our newfound intel-via-violence skills to that end.

Oh, and we should test the new skellies to see if their quality matches that of Piecewise. Toss em a coin and see if they can swat it out of the air with a knife or something.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:23:30 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 16, 2019, 06:43:06 pm »

+1

+1

I forget, when we took Piecewise back out of his case, did he just sort of assemble himself? We should use separate containers per skeleton in case mixing up the magicked bones causes unexpected !!!FUN!!!.

Additionally, we now have a viable (and successful) proof of concept. We can decide on a higher goal. For instance, we could target some sort of official and peruse his memories in an effort to find higher priority targets and locations. Or, perhaps of higher interest to us, try and find people who know more about who we were and what we were doing making skeletons in a tub full of blood and organs. We obviously had some kind of plan here, maybe we should use our newfound intel-via-violence skills to that end.

Oh, and we should test the new skellies to see if their quality matches that of Piecewise. Toss em a coin and see if they can swat it out of the air with a knife or something.
Yes, keeping the bones separate is a good idea, and also trying to figure out what we were doing in the hotel before our death

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 16, 2019, 07:09:38 pm »

+1

+1

Yes, keeping the bones separate is a good idea, and also trying to figure out what we were doing in the hotel before our death

+1 if these are suggested actions, +1 to Parisbre's action as well

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 16, 2019, 08:11:37 pm »

Eh, more trying to start a discussion on future plans :3

Slasher-film in an alley will only get us so much, after all.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 16, 2019, 08:19:56 pm »

Infinite skeleton armies powered by suffering.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 16, 2019, 11:48:03 pm »

+1

+1

+1

I like the sound of that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 17, 2019, 01:34:07 am »

+1

+1

+1

I like the sound of that.
+1 to both plans

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #554 on: September 20, 2019, 09:58:03 am »

+1

+1

+1
+1

You start searching through the warehouse. You don't find anything quite as nice as Piecewise's doctors bag, but you  find some cloth sacks holding flour. You open them and proceed to dump about 2/3rds of each into the ocean before ordering the skeletons into the sacks. Once they're inside you carefully pack the remaining flour back around them and reseal the bag as best you can.  Its about the best you think you can do with whats on hand, and you don't really wanna wait around for Esme to fetch something better. You give one bag to Esme, the next to Piecewise, and keep the last for yourself, slinging it over your shoulder. Its heavy, but not too bad once you get it settled in a comfortable position. You ask Esme where these skeletons should be deposited and she gives it some thought.

"I guess the library is a reasonable place for now, since you've removed anything that could be used to identify them. We do have a medical section with preserved specimens, a few 'anatomical skeletons' wouldn't look too out of place. But if you intend to get many more of these things, we're going to have to figure out something better. I don't want to have to explain why our medical library has more bones than books."

Together the three of you leave the warehouse and start the walk back to the library, doing your level best to look inconspicuous as you trudge through the empty streets in the dull gray of dawn. By the time you make it back the sun is peeking over the horizon and the first foot traffic is starting to appear: scattered individuals slowly shuffling towards work or perhaps home after a long night out.  Nicholas stares at the three of you as you enter but says nothing, closing the door heavily after you're inside.

"He doesn't like this." Esme says, once the three of you are up on a higher level, through a door marked "MEDICAL".  You're extracting the skeletons from their bags and carefully laying them out on counter tops, posing them as best you can to look like inert display pieces.  "Nicholas I mean. He doesn't like us bringing trouble home with us."

You hand a knife to the last skeleton and order it to slash a coin you're going to toss to it. As you step back and line things up, you tell Esme that you don't intend to bring any undue attention.

"I understand that," She says, sweeping some spilled flour into a trashcan, "But to him you're still a completely unknown variable."

The coin sails out in an easy arc and the skeleton lunges forwards, swatting it out of the air with apparent ease.  You set up piecewise for the same test.

"Things are getting more dangerous here, and if this library goes down its going to leave a lot of people without a safehouse a best and on the run at worst."

Piecewise also swats the coin down easily, though in a much more mechanical fashion. The major difference between the two seems to be that piecewise is more mechanical in his actions while the spirit animated skeletons act more like...well...living things.

"I think it would be good for us to consider not only a more permanent location for these things but a long term plan.  We can just keep collecting skeletons and intel like we did tonight but we need a plan or we'll just be treading water."
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 94