Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 110548 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2019, 11:08:20 am »

You squeeze past the man and are thankful when he doesn't stab you in the back. Through the first pair of giant doors is a small room, nothing more than an empty chamber containing a chair propped up against one wall. Its tiled in austere white squares and reminds you of a hospital for some reason. Across from you is another, smaller pair of doors that no doubt lead into the Library proper. As you walk to them you notice the one armed man close the outer doors and then go and sit on the chair, leaning back against the wall.

The inner doors lead into a huge and strangely dimly lit room. The floor is polished black stone and all around you are towering bookshelves of mahogany, stacked high with all manner of books. The only light comes from wall mounted lights that are designed to look like ornate candelabras but with electrical bulbs on the tips of their antler like formations. This means that the actual halls between the shelves are quite dark. You check around and find a sign for "RECORDS" that points deeper in. You follow it, looking around as you do. The ceiling above you isn't solid, a shaft runs straight up through several stories until it reaches what once must have been a skylight, though now it has been completely covered in a metal shutter. There is a tremendous smell of old paper and incense as you walk between the shelves and the silence is of that oppressive sort that feels like it has physical weight.

The signs lead to a stairway that goes both up to higher levels and down to the apparently underground records area. You follow it down several fights before it ends at what looks more like a bulkhead door than anything that belongs in a library. Through it is a room with a ceiling just slightly taller than you are and with passages apparently carved directly into the living stone and then coated in some kind of semi-translucent red lacquer. Wooden cabinets  and shelves are arrayed in long lines and connecting passages intercept these lines at right angles. Bare electric bulbs are set into the ceiling and provide regular pools of light with sections of darkness in between them.  It is thanks to this odd arrangement that you notice the woman a while away from you checking one of the card cabinets with a flashlight. You walk towards her and she doesn't seem to notice you coming, giving you time to look her over. Her age is difficult to tell; she doesn't appear old, though most of her face is away from you, but her hair is an odd mix of orange-red with streaks of white and gray. She's wearing a long dress the color of pine needles and a cream colored shawl that covers her shoulders and almost reaches her waist. As you get within maybe 10 feet of her she finally notices you and looks up, shining the flashlight at you for a moment before lowering it.

"Sorry" She says, "Rude to shine the light in someone's eye..." She trails off as she gets a good look at you.  Your first impressions were right, she's not old. Maybe 30 or a bit less?  Her face is round, soft, and almost childlike with large green eyes. A guileless face.  Her eyes stay on you, her mouth slightly open, her breathing slow and deep.

"Esme?" You ask, your tone uncertain.

She seems to snap out of whatever reverie she was in and nods. She looks you over again and then gestures at you.

"Show me your hands." she says and you do so.

She examines first your right hand, stopping to look at the ring, and then the left, stopping to look at the thumb and its new pinprick injury.

"Do you have a servant?" She asks, holding your left hand up to the same level as your face. 

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:31 am »

"If you mean the skeleton that obeys my commands then yes. It was there when I woke up."

Try to show how clueless we are and try to gain more information. She seems like a trustworthy and knowledgeable individual.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2019, 09:20:31 am »

"If you mean the skeleton that obeys my commands then yes. It was there when I woke up."

Try to show how clueless we are and try to gain more information. She seems like a trustworthy and knowledgeable individual.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2019, 09:23:52 am »

Oh, also, this seems like the sort of person we should ask about the thing we see and whether or not she can see it too.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2019, 01:03:11 pm »

Oh, also, this seems like the sort of person we should ask about the thing we see and whether or not she can see it too.

+1

All of this is a good idea, but first thank her for the invitation. I also remain suspicious of people who have a business card specifically for "found yourself unconscious in a bathtub filled with gore next to a magic skeleton who is likewise filled with choice animal organs? Call X", but we don't have much else to go on right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 10:07:55 am »

+1

All of this is a good idea, but first thank her for the invitation. I also remain suspicious of people who have a business card specifically for "found yourself unconscious in a bathtub filled with gore next to a magic skeleton who is likewise filled with choice animal organs? Call X", but we don't have much else to go on right now.

Esme nods once. "You need to either get it here or sever your connection to it. They could..." She seems to be about to go on but stops and squints, thinking.  You interrupt her.

"By the way, can you see this?" You gesture at the strange plane that is still just above your head, even down here.  She looks at you a moment and then shakes her head.

"I'm not a necromancer, I can't see the Anima. At least not without tools. Listen, how much do you know? How much do you remember?"

You recount a shortened version of your time in the hotel, finding the card that leads here, and your fragmentary memory.

"Enough to work with and items to bridge the gap." Esme mumbles to herself before addressing you again, "You look like someone I used to know many years ago, though you don't seem to have aged at all if that's true." She claps her hands together in decision, "Alright, first things first, we need to take care of that servant of yours before someone notices the unlicensed animate wandering around and tracks you down.  Once that's done I'll fill you in on what you need to know and we can try and figure out how you ended up in this situation."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2019, 11:26:47 am »

PTW.

Also, not making this bold, but I think we should ask how we can sever the connection, if one of us doesn’t already have it figured out.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 11:43:56 am »

Thank Esme. Try to remember her, in case her voice or face triggers any memories or emotions.

When we gained control of Piecewise we started sensing a heartbeat. Maybe if we focused on stopping it it would sever the link?

If that doesn't work just ask for help.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »

Thank Esme. Try to remember her, in case her voice or face triggers any memories or emotions.

When we gained control of Piecewise we started sensing a heartbeat. Maybe if we focused on stopping it it would sever the link?

More information is good, let's do this.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 09:09:07 pm »

Yes but we don't want to sever the link. We want to collect our bestest friend in the whole world.

Go with her to collect Piecewise.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 09:29:16 pm »

I guess we should inform her that we have Piecewise stuck in a closet right now.

So, how should we move Piecewise from the closet to where Esme is? She said an unlicensed animate wandering around would get removed from the street, so I suppose we can assume that having Piecewise just follow us isn't an option.

I wonder if we can't just put Piecewise in a car or something?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 03:47:55 am »

We could cover Piecewise in sheets and if any one asks we tell them that he's a ghost that's haunting us.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 03:49:54 am »

I mean, I assume she has a plan for this. If not, bedsheets or just carrying him in a bundle sound good.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 12:21:35 pm »

I mean, he's a skeleton. Go back with a large suitcase or something to collect him.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2019, 06:46:25 pm »

I mean, he's a skeleton. Go back with a large suitcase or something to collect him.
I guess we should inform her that we have Piecewise stuck in a closet right now.

So, how should we move Piecewise from the closet to where Esme is? She said an unlicensed animate wandering around would get removed from the street, so I suppose we can assume that having Piecewise just follow us isn't an option.

I wonder if we can't just put Piecewise in a car or something?

You thank Esme for her help and let her know that Piecewise -she gives you a blank stare until you explain thats what you named the skeleton- is hidden in a closet. She seems somewhat revealed by this.

"They could still find it by the thread that binds you but they're a lot less likely to track down some random soul binding than a skeleton out and about.  Still, we should get it back if that's what you want to do with it."

You tell her about the sensation of the heartbeat, which is still with you though very dimly, that began when you took control of the skeleton. You ask if silencing that is how to sever the link.

"I'm not sure." She admits, "I'm not a necromancer myself.  My talents are more..." she shakes her head, "Later. For now the skeleton."

You ask if she has a suit case and explain your plan to put Piecewise into the suitcase and just carry it back. The skeleton, lacking any flesh, should fold up nicely.

"That will work." Esme says with a nod and a quick smile. "I've got one upstairs, come with me."

She leads you back up to the main floor and then further up again, past two floors of books and onto a fourth floor that, judging by the oddly sloping ceilings and general small size was probably an attic of sorts once. Now its been modified into small housing areas, about a half dozen in total squeezed tightly into the space. She leads you through to a door in the back. Her rooms are those of a struggling student, a starving artist, a broke addict, or a former monk: they are small, spartan, simple and a bit messy. She has a table with three chairs, a single cabinet, a stack of 4 steamer chests, a bed with amazingly soft looking covers, and small piles of books and papers scattered about. She gestures for you to sit at the table as she attempts to drag the top chest down off the pile. After she nearly drags them all down on top of her you step in and help her get it down.

As she digs through the first chest you look at her face and try to remember her. She feels familiar to you, that much you already know, but you cannot put a finger on exactly how or why. In your mind she is a childhood friend, the reality of her lost in the golden haze of the distant past, only echoing impressions comfort, good times, and happiness remaining.

"Do you wear glasses?" You say without thinking.

She looks at you with searching eyes, her hands still pulling things from the chest, but more slowly now. "Only when I read." She says and then, when you don't respond any further, returns to her work.  After a few minutes and another chest she produces a large leather case. Its almost like a doctor's bag but a bit bigger, all sturdy black leather and bronze fittings with a single handle. You hold it up, measuring its length against your femur and its width against your ribcage. It will be a tight fit, but you think the skeleton will be able to be folded into or -worst case scenario- disassembled into it.  You note that there is a small brass nameplate on it that reads "Kelley".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 94