Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 110535 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2019, 07:02:57 pm »

Well, glad we're getting Piecewise.

Try to figure out if we're being charmed.  Becoming someone's trusting sacrifice would be bad after all.

Do press Esme for more information regarding her talents.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:25:56 pm by Devastator »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2019, 09:20:53 pm »

Other way round, I suspect. She seems a little ditzy and we're probably not a good person.

Well. Not to be racist against people who wake up in bathtubs of viscera or anything.

More importantly, I suspect we are indeed Alexander Kelley and we have rebirthed ourselves for some nefarious purpose. Esme here is a good enough friend that she has one of our suitcases. Or was, maybe we broke her heart by eating her family or something. Old Us (if that's what's going on) still thought she was a better bet than just leaving us a note explaining what the hell is going on.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:59 pm »

Maybe we couldn't find enough paper.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2019, 08:24:35 am »

Can we infer anything about her interests from the kind of books she has in her room?

Draw her attention to the "Kelley" nameplate and ask her if that's her last name.

Should probably also ask about if she can talk to the guy at the entrance about us. We wouldn't like him to behead us because we looked at him the wrong way when we return.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:43 am »

Overly probing questions of a person of unstated magical prowess could be bad. Wizards are fickle.

Anyway I have no suggestions. She could be charming us, or i could just be our actual memory. Stay alert, I suppose. We should ask why we asked us here, though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2019, 04:54:00 pm »

Should probably actually go collect our skeleton amidst all this.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2019, 02:39:51 am »

+1 He's probably getting lonely without us.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2019, 12:31:35 pm »

Well, glad we're getting Piecewise.

Try to figure out if we're being charmed.  Becoming someone's trusting sacrifice would be bad after all.

Do press Esme for more information regarding her talents.

You consider for a moment if you are being charmed. You're not sure that's even a possibility but it might be. You think on it, consider the events of the past few minutes, consider your feelings, and consider the memories you have. You don't think you're being charmed; if you are its a very subtle thing. You have a mild like of this Esme woman, some apparently fond if vague memories, but nothing like an overwhelming desire to do as she says or attraction to her. You suppose that could simply be the mark of a masterfully subtle charm but you halt the line of thought there for the moment. Such paranoid and evidenceless considerations are destined to spiral uselessly.  You'll need more evidence before you can say anything.

Can we infer anything about her interests from the kind of books she has in her room?

Draw her attention to the "Kelley" nameplate and ask her if that's her last name.

Should probably also ask about if she can talk to the guy at the entrance about us. We wouldn't like him to behead us because we looked at him the wrong way when we return.

You glance quickly around the room, noting the books in their little piles. The ones by the bed are novels judging by the titles; however what their genre or contents are you cannot guess. Names like "Gravity's Rose" and "A Bladed Pendulum" give nothing away. The other piles seem to mostly be reference books of various kinds. Medical, mathematics, physics, chemistry, architecture, botany, biology, atlases, even some store catalogs and a book on knitting patterns.  No through line of subjects to grasp on to. Her interests seem academic for sure but, at least from these books, you can't place anything specific.

She looks at you inquiringly as you look around the room and you return to her with self conscious cough before indicating the nameplate on the bag. She tilts her head and steps closer to read it.

"Oh." She says and smiles very slightly, her face becoming wistful and distant. "He must have left it before he left." She touches the name plate for a moment. "We should remove that soon. The name Kelley isn't one you want to be caught with around here."

You ask if she was related to him, if the name is a family name.

"No, but I knew him since childhood and we came here together back when the borders were still open."

You change the subject, relating your rather tense interaction with the man at the front door to her.

"Nicholas is always like that; he takes his job as security very seriously," she says in a sort of playful tone. "He'll calm down with time."

You arrange the bag at your side so the nameplate isn't easily visible and then indicate that it would be a good idea to go get the skeleton before daybreak. Esme nods and gathers up a large gray coat and black boots from her cabinet before leading the way back downstairs. As you follow her, you ask her about her own talents.

"I was going to tell you when we got back but I guess there's no reason to wait." She says after a moment, "I'm what they colloquially call a shifter. I can transfer or shift one thing to another.  I have three minor talents but two of them synergize well. The first is kinetic energy but its very limited so I rarely use it. The second is that I can shift the information from any recorded material into my mind so long as I'm holding  the thing itself. So if I'm holding a book I know everything in that book, but only while I'm holding it. I can remember things afterwards but no more so than if I had just read the book like normal. The third is that I can shift any information or memories I have into someone  or something else. I can't create memories though and I can't do it to a non-willing participant, so its rather limited in that respect.

All this is part of the reason they stationed me here." She motions to the library as a whole, "Might as well be in a place where I can use my talents."

You both pass through the inner doors of the library and into Nicholas' little security room. He's reclining in his chair, leaning against the wall his arm laying limply across his lap and his eyes closed.

"Good Evening, Miss Esme." He says without moving, "Your guest hasn't caused you any trouble I hope."

"No more than usual"

"Heading out?"

"Yes, just for a bit."

"Should I accompany you?"

"No Nicholas, that won't be necessary. Keep an eye on the building, we'll be back in..." She looks to you, "Fifteen minutes?"

You nod.

"Fifteen minutes." She affirms.

"As you wish." Nicholas says and somehow becomes even less animated than before.

Out on the street things are much as they were before, though perhaps even fewer people are around. You make for the building and Esme follows along beside you. A cold wind whips down the street and she flinches into the fur lined collar of her coat with a hiss.

"Awful weather." She mutters before looking at you. "Aren't you cold?"

You realize that the jacket you're wearing is fairly thin compared to hers, clearly meant for a chilly evening stroll, not slogging through snowfall at 1am. You tell her you're not cold and leave it at that for the moment. 

"Hmm." She says contemplatively but doesn't push the subject further. You reach the abandoned hotel in a few minutes and quickly make your way back up to the room. You move directly to the closet and open it, uncovering piecewise and getting to work  on having him contort himself into the bag. He folds up remarkably well, even going so far as to fold his knees up into his ribcage.  You pack some linen over the skeleton  so that anyone glancing into the bag won't see him and then snap it closed.  You stand up and look around but Esme isn't in the room. You step over to the bathroom and find her there, looking down into the tub. She's stayed far enough back to not step into the gore you splattered onto the tile as you got out of the tub.  She's silently considering the scene, her face a little paler than before.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2019, 12:47:38 pm »

"Are you OK? You're not the sort of person who faints at the sight of blood, are you?"

See if she's OK. Apologize for the state of the place but point out that we're not responsible for its state. Probably. I mean, as far as we remember.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2019, 01:29:40 pm »

Hmm. I suspect that we've turned ourself into some kind of undead. Explains why we don't mind the cold, and probably explains what the tub of gore was for.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2019, 02:48:14 pm »

She did say we looked like someone she knew a while ago... Wait, did we just Lich?
Did we kill ourself and bring ourself back under our control? We need to test something real fast. It's stupid, but...
Punch a wall as hard as physically possible.
This will reveal our connection to this body. If we hold back, we're still kinda human. If we destroy our hand and the wall, then we have Liched - Our body is our puppet.

NO DONT.
We do need to think about that whole mess of "not quite zombie?" Though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:50:14 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2019, 02:54:07 pm »

She did say we looked like someone she knew a while ago... Wait, did we just Lich?
Did we kill ourself and bring ourself back under our control? We need to test something real fast. It's stupid, but...
Punch a wall as hard as physically possible.
This will reveal our connection to this body. If we hold back, we're still kinda human. If we destroy our hand and the wall, then we have Liched - Our body is our puppet.
Or we're an idiot that doesn't know how to hold back :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2019, 03:17:15 pm »

"Is that a bad sign or are you just squeamish?"

Try to figure out what she knows about... that.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2019, 04:32:47 pm »

-1 to self-punching.  I've seen enough dumb people break their own hands to not trust that plan.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2019, 04:49:07 pm »

Keck, y'all are right. I still think we need to figure out how self-puppety we are.

Edited.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 94