Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112253 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »

I cannot think of any questions.

Tell him he has pleasant facial hair.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2019, 07:43:19 pm »

Various questions, choose what you find interesting:

"How did you and Esme came to know each other?"

"What did you do before you were making posters for the government? Do you like this job better?"

"Who is she? Can she be trusted?"

"Why is there a war going on in the first place? Do you think the reasons make sense? Do you think any one side is right or better or has the moral superiority?"

"Do the people support the war? Do the people support the government?"

"Who is winning the war right now? Who do you think will end up winning?"

"How far is the Frontline? Are we in danger of seeing conflict? Shelling or bombing?"

"Is the situation better in the countryside? Would it be easier to hide there?"

"Do you think things are better in some other country? Ever think of moving?"

"What is the form of government of Milos? Is there a prominent figurehead or are they merely a group of individuals whose interests align?"

"Do you hate Alex? Do you think he is responsible for all this?"

"What do people do for entertainment around here?"

"How did the current government come to be?"

"Are people getting drafted to fight? Is this leading to decreased production and shortages?"

"Is this city very old? Any reason people decided to settle here?"

"Does this city's tunnels happen to be perfectly sized for sneaking around in? I'm not really alive, I think, so I can probably go through them without risk of disease."

"Was there always a rivalry between Milos and Eurstoya?"

"Are there other countries participating in the conflict?"

"What can you tell me about <area Alex's lab is>?"

"Does this city have a large number of people with those supernatural skills?"

"Does this city have any relation with necromancy?"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2019, 11:34:23 am »

Here's Bruce, he hates strangers, distractions, and questions. Now then, what is your name?

"[vomits unrelated exposition]"

At any rate:

1) "How did you and Esme came to know each other?" - this will touch on multiple topics. A good question.
2) "What is the form of government of Milos? Is there a prominent figurehead or are they merely a group of individuals whose interests align?" - likely will result in a useful summary of many things
3) "Was there always a rivalry between Milos and Eurstoya?" - Good followup to the previous question if we require more detail.
4) "Nice beard, Bruce. Bruce the Beard. Brucey Beard."
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2019, 01:18:13 pm »

Do you know why the sun shines?

Why do you make poster for the government and forge documents?

"Because they both pay well." He grunts.

Here's Bruce, he hates strangers, distractions, and questions. Now then, what is your name?

"[vomits unrelated exposition]"

At any rate:

1) "How did you and Esme came to know each other?" - this will touch on multiple topics. A good question.
2) "What is the form of government of Milos? Is there a prominent figurehead or are they merely a group of individuals whose interests align?" - likely will result in a useful summary of many things
3) "Was there always a rivalry between Milos and Eurstoya?" - Good followup to the previous question if we require more detail.
4) "Nice beard, Bruce. Bruce the Beard. Brucey Beard."
"She was introduced to me by some tough I was forging paintings for. Wanted a business license. Went from there."

"Democratic Meritocracy they say. Its not of course, not really. Closer to a military dictatorship but I ain't no politician.  Leader used to be Supreme Commander Einland but something happened to him. They say heart attack but I don't believe em. In any case now his subordinate Julius Rand is Supreme Commander and he's got a whole mares nest of hardliners and ministries and departments under him. Only him and a few of his direct underlings really stand out in my memory.

"To a point. In the past there were other wars ya know. Trade wars mostly over shipping routes and such I think. It wasn't some grand rivalry but Eurstoya is the only country with power 'bout equal to that of Milos round here. If Milos wants to expand, Eurstoya is the only real thing in its way."

The last question makes him look at you with a combination of confusion, annoyance, and concern.  "You alright there, corpse lad? Brain starting to rot a bit?"

Various questions, choose what you find interesting:

"What did you do before you were making posters for the government? Do you like this job better?"
"I was an artist at first. Got my training in it. Started forging after I ran up some debts. Did'em both, though the forging paid more of course.  Dunno if this government work is better than work for criminals. Both might break your legs if you don't satisfy."

"Do the people support the war? Do the people support the government?"

"They don't have much choice, lad. But if you want their true opinion I'd say most do, or at least don't oppose it.  Last government had its own problems, some worse in their own ways. For now they've got the people on their side."

"Who is winning the war right now? Who do you think will end up winning?"

He shrugs, "I don't rightly know. Sounds like we are but I doubt you can really trust the reports."

"How far is the Frontline? Are we in danger of seeing conflict? Shelling or bombing?"
"No front line as of yet, least not really. Separated by the sea and no one has made that first inward push onto the main land. So far its just naval combat, bombing, and some ground skirmishes over islands. Pussy footing about."

"Is the situation better in the countryside? Would it be easier to hide there?"
"Maybe. Less authorities out there but you'll also stick out more as a new face."

"Do you think things are better in some other country? Ever think of moving?"
"Borders are closed now. Besides, I got my reasons to stay."

"Do you hate Alex? Do you think he is responsible for all this?"
"The powers that be want us to believe he's some master traitor; a boogey man always out there. I don't know the truth but I know they're at best exaggerating. The real reason this all happened was because the old king got corrupt, greedy and blind, let the coup happen."

"What do people do for entertainment around here?"

"I don't know. I drink when I have time I don't want to be filled with painting or whatnot."

"How did the current government come to be?"
"Coup, like I said. Einland got the majority of the armed forces to turn on the government. Called it the Red Week, crushed and killed all opposition from the old guard and monarchy in about a week. Set himself up in charge; supposed to have been temporary as they set up a real government but he died and things sort of just kept going."

"Are people getting drafted to fight? Is this leading to decreased production and shortages?"
"There's a limited draft and we are seeing shortages in some things but nothing bad yet."

"Is this city very old? Any reason people decided to settle here?"
"Despite what Esme says, I ain't that old. Ain't a historian either. City has been her for god knows how long in one form or another. Think it was settled something like 1500 years ago or earlier. Fishing and trade, grew in importance over time till it is as it is now."

"Does this city's tunnels happen to be perfectly sized for sneaking around in? I'm not really alive, I think, so I can probably go through them without risk of disease."
"No idea."

"Are there other countries participating in the conflict?"
"The islands in the way of the war have declared one way or another and there are smaller countries allied with one side or the other but for all intents and purposes its just the big two."

"What can you tell me about <area Alex's lab is>?"
"I'm an artist, not a scientist. Don't know anything about it."

"Does this city have a large number of people with those supernatural skills?"

"I suppose. Dunno if its more than anywhere else though. More focused on by the government for sure but not sure if its actually a higher number."

"Does this city have any relation with necromancy?"
"Because of Alexander its seen as pretty undesirable by anyone outside of the military. Even then its not commonly used. There's no law against it mind you but I wouldn't recommend doing it publicly."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2019, 01:26:11 pm »

People usually stop me before I manage to sneak in things like question#4. Success!!!

Also holy geez we need to buy this guy a drink or two, he answered ALL of our questions! He also seems to know details about Alexander, we should mine him for that and buy him yet another drink for his trouble. Drinks for questions!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2019, 02:20:28 pm »

Yeah, but to buy him a drink we'll need money.

Maybe we can offer to work for him? Animating things and putting them in positions he can paint them in.

Probably not the best use of our time, but it's an idea.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2019, 04:45:12 pm »

Maybe we can offer to work for him? Animating things and putting them in positions he can paint them in.

+1
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2019, 04:45:18 pm »

Hey whatever happened to Piecemouse?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2019, 05:36:26 pm »

Back at the library.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2019, 05:51:12 pm »

Back at the library.

If we get back and he hasn't managed to open a mysterious tome to a cryptic passage or phrase I'm going to be very disappointed.

Regardless Bruce seems like a nice enough dude I think we should definitely see if we can help him out around the shop, as it were. +1 to that.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »

Would be funny if Piecewise is connected to our memories of research and Piecemouse is connected to our memories of food. We'll find it cooking in the kitchen.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2019, 08:06:59 pm »

+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2019, 11:36:51 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2019, 09:55:46 am »

+1
You offer to work for Bruce in exchange for the answers to your questions.

"Eh?" is his first response.  "I doubt you can do much for me, lad. A printer ain't got no use for an amnesiac human weapon like yourself.  And I can't say you'd pay me back by overturning this government or anything like that; they're a paying customer after all."

He's silent for a few moments.

"But if you're insistent, there's one thing you can do for me.  I'm looking for a lady named Nina Antonov, any information you can find on her will be helpful.  Not sure where she'd be or if she's even still out there but-"

His words are cut off by the sound of voices outside.  Bruce hurriedly gathers up what he was working on in a flash and stuffs it into a drawer before dropping a bunch of random papers on top and closing the drawer. You both move near the door and listen. There are two voices, both female. One sounds like Esme, the other is unfamiliar.

"-at business do you have here?" the unfamiliar voice says, carrying the steel of authority in the words.

"Bruce asked me to model for him." Esme responds, her voice calm, confident, and apparently nonchalant.

"Mr. Torr is an artisan employed by the ministry. There are many potential threats to his life, and I'm not so certain you aren't one of them."

"We can just ask him."

"Yes." The voice is strangely smug, "We can do just that."

A moment later a fist pounds against the door.  Bruce tenses and then looks around wildly before pointing at you and then at the bed. "Make yourself scarce lad." he whispers.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2019, 10:11:53 am »

De-animate self (through stabbing) to pose as an anatomical reference corpse.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 94