Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112290 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #810 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:10 am »

No one in town can find out about our crimes if the isn't anyone in town.
Thst would alert the patrols

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »

Recommend we begin Operation Phase: Ratwise.

Get us 5-6 rats tops (as many as we feel safe controlling), have them move about on foot and inside drainage/ventilation pipes and the like. While they are unlikely to provide additional quality of overall data (we're likely to still get people-as-landmarks), the data can be correlated between rats to get an outline of patrol routes and information on building use, as well as internal floor plans.

If possible we can put Birbwise on lookout duty at the inn or around town, unless the strain of all this proves too much. If someone starts creeping up on our position (unlikely, we seem to have been quite circumspect) they can alert Piecewise, who can alert us.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 03, 2019, 03:18:37 am »

No one in town can find out about our crimes if the isn't anyone in town.
Thst would alert the patrols
Not if we get rid of them as well.

Recommend we begin Operation Phase: Ratwise.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #813 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:57 pm »

Are animal attacks a thing that happens? If a lone patrolman walking through the forest was ambushed by a hungry bear or a wolf or a rabid dog, would that be suspicious? This could work well, especially if the guard manages to shoot the animal a few times, killing it (I.e. we deanimate it after the attack so we don't have to worry about hiding it). Only problem is that we would have to stay out of town late, but maybe we can give an excuse like going out for a drink.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 04, 2019, 06:22:25 pm »

We would have to be very nearby in order for it to be convincing. They'd figure out pretty quick if we sent a bear after someone then had to go meet up with the bear to de-animate it.

Also i'm super surprised the idea of zombie bears hasn't come up by now. If we ever do a kind of assault on the base, that's what we should use.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #815 on: December 04, 2019, 06:30:39 pm »

Won't we have to be nearby anyway to absorb the memories? Just have the bear drag the body to a bush.

Also, I was thinking that if a guard patrols on his own in the town, then the same should apply to the forest, meaning they'll actually be easy to ambush since we'll be less likely to be spotted. The only problem is that the gunshots will attract other guards, so we'd have to leave very soon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 04, 2019, 06:43:00 pm »

So ambush them on their way back through the forest? That would certainly arouse less suspicion. They might not make the whole trip back on foot, though.

I'm not quite sure how killing all townsfolk or guards would benefit us. They aren't really in the way of our info-gathering mission. Killing guards will absolutely put the rest of the base (and town) on alert, no matter how we do it. At the least you'd start seeing two guards on patrol at all times, even to protect against wild animal attacks.

Way I see it we'd just save a bit of time eating memories, that's about it.

I'm super sold on the idea of animated bears though, whenever applicable. If we do decide for nabbing a guard, +1 to using a piecebear.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 04, 2019, 06:48:39 pm »

Eh, let's go for shove-a-patrol plan. I want to see how it goes.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2019, 11:42:56 am »

We've got a +1 on ratwise plan, but then the rest of the talk seems to be about other plans and other ideas. Lets go with getting the supplies for ratwise and we'll see how people's planning progresses.

You consider the best way to gather some rats without causing suspicion. Obviously you going out and hunting the alleyways yourself is a very poor idea and likely to cause a lot of curiosity in the locals. After a while you come up with the idea of using Birdwise to hunt the rats for you. Cormorants eat fish and lack the talons of a proper bird of prey, but they're still hunters and have a beak sharp enough to kill. You order birdwise and Piecewise out into the woods again, this time with instructions to find and kill rats while remaining out of sight, returning to the room with the rats hidden in a bag once they have killed 8 of them. Piecewise leaves with Birdwise smuggled in his jacket and trudges off towards the forest with his shotgun balanced on one shoulder.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 06, 2019, 08:33:34 am »

While we wait for rats to mess with lets go and look around the town and see if there's a library, and if there is one lets check its newspaper catalog and see if there's any info about the facility in the local papers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 06, 2019, 02:02:00 pm »

While we wait for rats to mess with lets go and look around the town and see if there's a library, and if there is one lets check its newspaper catalog and see if there's any info about the facility in the local papers.

+1 to this, be sure to be back at the inn by nightfall.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 06, 2019, 04:37:37 pm »

+1

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #822 on: December 09, 2019, 12:41:02 pm »

+1

You head out and check around, but it becomes rapidly obvious that this town is not of the size- or inclination - to have a library. At least not a proper one. There's a single school to handle the relatively small population of children and teach them the basic skills needed to survive in the modern world. That school has a library of a few hundred books and no archive of newspapers. The local newspaper is nothing but a weekly publication mostly devoted to things like weather forecasts, news of distant places, and the big events in the country. It has no real archive, just a collection of scattered papers which deal with important events to the community or the country. A highlights reel as it were. You check through it, just in case, but find little of interest. There are a few stories about it being built, one or two reprints of articles like the one Piecewise originally showed you, and an opinion piece about how great it is to have a military base close by in these dangerous times.  Nothing new, or at least nothing new and useful.

The other place you check is at the local church, which you are told keeps records of its own.  Indeed it does keep its own records related to the town, giant leather bound ledgers filled with numbers and names, records of births and deaths and almanacs of the years. Its a perfect collection to track something like a family tree or the progress of construction of a new dock or harbor, but it seems entirely dedicated to the town. The best you can find is some transitory information about a handful of workers who were apparently conscripted from the village to help in the construction of the base. Its not much, but it might be the best lead you have. You jot down the names and cross reference them with the deaths and departures, marking off those who are no longer around to question. You're left with only 3 names.

You leave the church around sunset and return to the inn where Piecewise and Birdwise are already waiting. Birdwise is perched on Piecewise's shoulder in an almost comical fashion, and they are both staring out the window. When you enter, they turn and present a sack of 11 dead rats.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 09, 2019, 02:16:03 pm »

That is many rats! Treats for Birdwise!

I say we animate as many as we are comfortable with physically and mentally.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 09, 2019, 03:08:45 pm »

Question, if Birdwise is a puppet, he doesn’t need to eat, right?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 94