Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck on "Finalizing civ mats" in worldgen :(  (Read 795 times)

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuck on "Finalizing civ mats" in worldgen :(
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:20:46 pm »

I decided to pick up DF after a long absence, but I can't seem to successfully generate a new world. It keeps getting stuck on "Finalizing civ mats... (3/5)", and just sits there for ages and ages and ages until the program eventually crashes.

Anyone else had this happen? Or know how to work around it? I thought it might be a world size issue, but I'm trying on a small region.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on "Finalizing civ mats" in worldgen :(
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:01:15 pm »

I decided to pick up DF after a long absence, but I can't seem to successfully generate a new world. It keeps getting stuck on "Finalizing civ mats... (3/5)", and just sits there for ages and ages and ages until the program eventually crashes.

Anyone else had this happen? Or know how to work around it? I thought it might be a world size issue, but I'm trying on a small region.
Where did you get your DF from?
That'll help people work out what the issue is.

Regular vanilla DF doesn't do this (unless there's some unrelated issue with your PC), so if you're not using that, try it out and see what happens. Then eliminate mods one at a time until you get something playable.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:33:01 pm »

Regular vanilla DF doesn't do this (unless there's some unrelated issue with your PC), so if you're not using that, try it out and see what happens. Then eliminate mods one at a time until you get something playable.

It's plain ole vanilla DF, downloaded from this very site, no mods.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 10:41:13 pm »

It's plain ole vanilla DF, downloaded from this very site, no mods.
Latest version? Very strange. How many times have you tried?
Latest version has been out for almost 7 months, if it didn't work someone would have mentioned by now...:)

Are you using a 32 bit Operating System and trying to run the (default) 64 bit download?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:43:31 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:53:47 pm »

Is there a reason DF might not be able to save data to disk? When it finishes generating world history, it populates the "/data/saves/current" folder with the world. I don't know when that "Finalizing civ mats" step happens, and am assuming it is after all the years have rolled past.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:25:41 am »

Strange. I've just tried installing again, in a different location, and it's working fine. Oh well, no worries then.