Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more migrants :(  (Read 1256 times)

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more migrants :(
« on: February 02, 2021, 02:37:05 am »

During world gen I noticed the ocean pretty quickly swallowing the land masses. I picked a spot I thought would be safe, but 2 years in and the oceans swallowed a sizable landbridge between me and my civilization. Now I have to figure out how to wipe out the massive goblin civilization that has spread to my west with only 21 dwarves, lol. The only other civilizations on this land mass are a bunch of elves and a couple human hamlets, both of which are far to the east. Fun!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: No more migrants :(
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:11:15 am »

During world gen I noticed the ocean pretty quickly swallowing the land masses. I picked a spot I thought would be safe, but 2 years in and the oceans swallowed a sizable landbridge between me and my civilization.

What?

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:21:30 am »

When I embarked all the landmasses were connected, similar to how north and South America are separated by central. A couple years later I was now separated by the landmass to my south.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:16 am »

What?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:44 am »

Echoing Putnam (and anewaname). This is not something I've heard of before. Normally (when weird stuff isn't affecting the world) dwarven migrants and caravans can reach you everywhere in the world, regardless of a physical path.

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 12:32:53 pm »

I'll try and grab the historical maps later today and see if I'm remembering correctly, but I thought I had made a point to not embark somewhere I'd be locked off from other Civs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 05:35:59 pm »

Toady snuck in the entire map rewrite and it's changing features capability into 47.05 apparently. Kitfox won't be pleased he's been neglecting Steam update duties...  ;D

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 02:33:58 pm »

It's likely you misinterpreted the worldgen imagery as it flashed by. During worldgen, unless you have the game zoomed all the way out, the world-view jumps from location to location seemingly at random. So perhaps you saw a section w/ land, but then it jumped to another spot and appeared to have been swallowed up by the ocean.

However not a bad idea (and surely already mentioned) for the suggestions subforum.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 12:41:57 pm »

Would be hilarious if Toady stealthly implemented a major feature in a "bugfix" release without anyone noticing :D