Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Glazedfaith  (Read 20987 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Glazedfaith
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2020, 05:02:23 am »

Oh, hm, interesting. Even nether-cap buckets weren't enough? Would have to go for magma-heated buckets and water soon.

Are those elf cages we see through the ice in the bottom of second picture?

I like how we can see the engravings on ice from the pov of the builder.

Hard to think of elves being a threat in cages, but that's quite the close save.

A half-moon approach with partial connections...Going to connect with upper parts to the rest of ship, I guess. Stonesense really brings it out.

I can't help but think you have some plans for the pits. Water-related?

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2020, 09:08:42 am »

I can't help but think you have some plans for the pits. Water-related?

Probably not.

I realised that I don't need the mooring mast so tall. Dwarves began to dismantle it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found out that Glazedfaith's art is quite depressing, approximately half of the pictures depict pain, horror and death:

Never seen that in previous forts.

Found out that 76 years ago one dwarf expelled from Glazedfaith killed another one:

The fort is 90 years old. Population rose to 88.

Dwarves finally dismantled temporary scaffolding around icy spiral supports:

The mooring tower got significantly shorter:

Another depressive picture, the name checks out:

Population reached 100. Dwarves finally repaired trade depot, mercants arrived:

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2020, 05:17:11 pm »

It's constructs like the ice blimp that make it merciful that Dwarves do not suffer from vertigo

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2020, 04:57:26 am »

Redoing the plans after you've already mostly built it....Well, must chafe a bit, but there's plenty of time for doubt here.

Ah, spiral supports look much nicer now. But must have been quite micro-heavy to do that...Hm, in the from-below shot, one support looks to be made of stone? Mistake or glitch?

Do I read it correctly that the exiled dwarves fought after being exiled? That's pretty neat, and didn't take too long either judging by the names (62th exiled dwarf in 14 years....). Unless snowstorms are really harrowing; what number are you up to now?

As for pictures in general, so it's an cold and snowy ice ship engraved with events of tragedies....Kinda fitting, I guess.

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2020, 09:19:27 am »

Hm, in the from-below shot, one support looks to be made of stone? Mistake or glitch?

Mistake.

Do I read it correctly that the exiled dwarves fought after being exiled?

Yes, absolutely. The fight took place the same year when Asshole62 was exiled and 4 years after Asshole26 was exiled.

Dwarves entering the ice quarry:

The mooring tower got shorter, just 65 z-levels. The very first entry inside the ship that shown in first Glazedfaith photos, this entry became no more functional:

Suddenly I realised that the cannon is already loaded with elephant cage. The h menu tells that minecart is just 6% full. I decided not to wait for full loading, changed departure condition and then...

The gif speed is as if FPS = 100.

Unfortunately, the elephant did not leave the cage. The cage fell down near map edge, the elephant got torn apart, one leg fell two tiles away:

In the next experiment dwarves set up double fortification in the end of the cannon:

I thought that first fortification should eject the cage from the minecart and second one should eject the prisoner from the cage, but I was wrong, a crocodile didn't leave the cage (the fort ran out of elephants so it was a cave crocodile this time):

I filmed this gif two times slower, as if FPS = 50. Dwarven physics is weird. The missile first follows usual parabolic trajectory and then suddenly turns to falling straight vertically with constant speed 1 tile per tick or a bit more. The flight is fully deterministic, both missiles hit the same tile on the surface. Midway the crocodile got out of the cage and fell apart:

Then for few ticks main part of the corpse just didn't appear anywhere. Then in the main window of the game a crocodile icon appeared but the k menu showed nothing except open space in that tile. The corpse fully materialized only when it hit the surface. Also I found out that when the out fortification of the cannon is dismantled, the minecart that stopped just before it suddenly resumes its movement and flies away as if the shot didn't finish. It's very weird.

In the third experiment there's an interval between cannon fortifications:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2020, 10:39:31 am »

The interval between fortifications didn't change anything. The cannon shot two crocodiles at once, both stayed within their cages:

The cages fell on the surface slightly differently than previous times:

I found out that elven tears stay wet for many years:

It's time to disclose the meaning of the new part of the ship. This is the place where dwarven colony will move in subsequent years. The lowest levels shall contain reservoires for water and magma. Dwarves installed golden wells equipped with golden buckets on golden chains:

Over them metallurgic facilities have been designed. Ovens and forges are platinum, anvils are steel, doors are golden:

Although golden doors seem ugly inside icy transparent construction. I'll try crystal glass doors instead.

Dwarven artists painted the top of the ship with beautiful pictures:

Population reached 129, there are a lot of people hanging out in meeting areas:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:43:17 am by vp »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2020, 06:17:41 am »

I think I can see the ice borehole on that ice quarry. But the map/mining project feels like it goes on forever.

A cage cannon? Huh, that's new in your forts.

Flying cages would need to collide with wall to expel their contents, I think. (And even then might telefrag i.e. split into constituent parts with body remaining behind if timing would have cage skip the wall tile visually.) Too bad about running out of elephants.

I think they're colliding with map block edge, though.

That still animation lock for minecart is completely novel to me, though. If it could be repeated with door or the like, could be a system for compact loading.

I notice on the double cageshot gif you can see the shadow of cages falling and part of the ship's on out of map landscape. That's pretty cool.

Hum, seems like seasonal contaminant cleanse doesn't touch items; neat to see.

-- new part of ship

Ah, so that's why you were quarrying! Probaby should have realized it was being constructed sooner. Seems kind of small for 129 dwarves for your fort scales.

Make sure magma reservoir level that keeps water liquid is uneven; that is has waves, so it can't completely freeze for long.

Neat to see both stonesense and Armok Vision can handle multi-material wells.

--top of ship

Looks like most of your engravers are no longer cave-adapted. Looks kinda like snow in stonesense.

I spy some bookcases. How's the fps?

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2020, 03:39:56 pm »

Crystal glass bottom of the ship has been fully constructed:

Temporary passage to the bottom of the water-magma reservoir has been dismantled:

It's time to consider more thorougly construction of the water-magma reservoir. Those are four levels from bottom to top:

And that's how it looks with magma inside:

I made an obvious mistake on the third level, I didn't realize that water would freeze before reaching the wells. It must be fixed.

The full picture:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:46:52 pm by vp »

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2020, 03:17:03 pm »

Railgun experiments keep on going. Dwarves built an icy bridge long enough that the flying missile, descending on its trajectory, should touch the end of the bridge. Then dwarves loaded the cannon with two crocodiles and:

I realized that I misunderstood the physics of processes happening when a missile hits an obstacle. Apparently, a flying object hits a floor not in the moment when the missile and the floor are in the same tile but in the moment when the missile tries to fall through the floor and fails. So the bridge must be either much longer or located one level higher.

Suddenly, as Fleeting Frames predicted

Make sure magma reservoir level that keeps water liquid is uneven; that is has waves, so it can't completely freeze for long.

the water in the reservoir froze. I made quick research (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157569.0) and realized that the level of magma in the warmer must not be 7 everywhere. Dwarves built a device to spill some magma out:

The heart of the device is a drawbridge, Armok Vision mistakenly depicts it open. The device is temporary, I plan to dismantle the magma-feeding aqueduct after all magma issues will be resolved.

Dwarves dismantled the lower entry to the ship, only the upper one still remains:

I realized that golden doors look very ugly inside the icy metallurgic factory. Crystal glass doors, almost invisible, suit this place so much better:

The water in the buckets freeze en route again. Dwarves redesigned the entry to the ice-casting zone:

The spilling device ready to test. Unfortunately, I couldn't make a decent gif neither in Armok Vision nor in Srtone Sense. I tried to film something in the main Dwarf Fortress window but that's all I could:

And I made a photo of an early stage of the process, when the interaction between magma and ice just began:

And that's the final stage:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2020, 01:53:33 pm »

Another caravan arrived:

Dwarves built second cagebreaking ice floor, one z-level higher than incorrectly placed first one. Loaded the cannon with a crocodile, no, new floor appears to be too short:

Dwarves legthened it a bit and it's been total success:

When striking the virtual wall located 48 tiles before map edge, the crocodile entered the quantum state of half-existense. Object in this state is visible only in the main window of the game but not in Stone Sense, Armok Vision and even looking at it with the k key shows nothing except open space. The cage didn't enter that state, only the crocodile did.

Next time dwarves loaded the cannon with a cave dragon:

The fort is 94 years old:

Dwarves redesigned the system of water and magma cisterns in the icy construction. Near the ovens and forges they constructed two one z-level deep basins made of tempered (b+C) ice and filled with monolythic (cast from buckets) ice:

Filled the magma cistern, the inside ice thawed:

In Armok Vision water upon magma looks beet red, it's ugly:

In Stone Sense it looks even more ugly, like diarrhea:

Soon I found something strange, some portions of water in the basins randomly freeze regardless of magma beneath:

It's probably because that the level of magma in the cistern beneath happened to be almost flat, 4/7 almost everywhere.

Dwarves loaded the cannon with 16 captive humans:

There's a lot of very strange phenomena:
- in the first tick of the shot 7 random items fell from the cages and remained on the track stop;
- at least one missile entered ascending trajectory, climbed one z-level up;
- all missiles slightly but significantly turned right as if under magnetic field or Coriolis force;
- it seems that some cages, may be all, lost their inside objects before hitting the cagebreaking floor. It looks like a bizarre quantum effect - the cage knows for sure that it'll hit the floor soon so the cage behaves like this in advance;
- one human fell from his cage upon the floor, immediately stopped his movement and lived few ticks until he died. All the time when he lived he was in quantum half-existence, he left this state the moment he died;
- after striking the virtual wall 48 tiles from map edge, humans, unlike crocodiles and the cave dragon, did not entered quantum half-existence, but fell down being fully material;
- the virtual wall blew the humans apart with a great force. Raspidarasilo;
- small fragments of creatures fall very slowly, just like leaves on a wind;
- some of those fragments were thrown up by some unknown force.

Edit: Thrown up, ha ha. Well, English is not my first language. I let it stay for lulz.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:06:25 pm by vp »

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2020, 11:02:11 am »

Filming the same event in Stone Sense:

brings new discoveries:
- Stone Sense doesn't show flying cages, clothing, weapons and body parts;
- missile flight is nondeterministic;
- different missiles fly with very different speeds, apparently because they collide each others a lot;
- there is a state of quantum three-quarters-existing, objects in this state may be shown in visualizers but not when the k key has been pressed.

Another footage of the same event:

In the third, final reality a human spearwoman somehow survived falling 85 z-levels:

She stands among blood and gore:

She has severe existential crisis:

Dwarves set magma level in the cistern between 6 and 7, the water above doesn' freeze anymore:

The fort is 95 years old:

The sky metallurgic factory has been covered with monolythic ice 1 z-level thick:

I found out that it's very unconvenient to get water from the water cisterns warmed with magma. The problem is that the water surface eventually freezes so miners must regularly renew ice holes. Water cistern walls look weird:

Dwarves constructed second railgun, loaded with 15 trolls, shot, 4 trolls managed to hold on the cagebreaking floor and survivce:

Armok Vision showed the event very weirdly.

EmogeneGomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2020, 06:17:50 am »

If it could be repeated with door or the like, could be a system for compact loading. Online chat
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:34:51 am by EmogeneGomer »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2020, 03:19:33 pm »

I have been away from people. I'm not lonely.
I want to see my friends. I'm not lonely.
Poor human had a complete total mental breakdown.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2020, 10:25:42 am »

No one will know what I am grinning about.... it started with a crocodile.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2020, 02:55:40 pm »

Four trolls, who managed to stay on the cage-breaking floor, suddenly survive. One died soon, another got in the icy metallurgic factory and hid near a smelter, two others descended to the lower part of the ship:

They broke few levitating floodgates, then got tired and stopped. The fort is 96 years old:

Stockpile contents seen through transparent floors:

The view from southwestern corner of the map:

On the 100th floor miners dug out space for metals stockpile:

Dwarves keep on covering hell's bottomless pits:

Plump helmet people found on the bottom of drained magma sea:

The fort is 97 years old: