Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Shadow of the Demon Lord - IC Thread - Game Start!  (Read 20082 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Demon Lord - IC Thread - Game Start!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 02:34:32 pm »

"Hey now, mister, don't try to get this to be just your job. It's a shilling for everyone involved, so surely you wouldn't mind a bit of teamwork? Imrak, was it? I'm Raina."

Raina extends her hand for a shake as she looks down at the contract Imrak is writing. Upside down, of course, but is the document in any language she knows either way?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 05:11:25 pm »

Imrak looks up at Raina, looks at her hand, looks back at her face, contemplates briefly, then turns back to the contract with a grumble. He starts drawing up a section mentioning "adequate compensation" for "secondary actors" that are "employed in a cooperative capacity".

As for the legibility of the document, that depends on Raina's experience with legalese. It's written in Common though, at least nominally.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 05:55:46 pm »

The urchin viewed the dwarf doubtfully.
"Well, you do look kinda like a goat, but we got 'ere first. Sop you're the one comin' along with us, rather than the other way round."

She glanced at Raina, then shrugged and grinned a little. If the dwarf thought he could cheat them out their coin, he'd learn just how much that bit of paper was worth.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 05:58:13 am »

Imrak sighs and rubs his brow in exasperation.

"Listen, if you'd prefer to enter into an undefined oral agreement with this gentleman, with no guarantee or collateral on payment and no legal recourse in the event of complications, medical or otherwise, that's your choice to make."

He puts his hand down and looks up.

"Historically? Not a very good precedent for that decision. Now, no one knows better than a Bronzecudgel the value of rewarded assistance, so if I might be allowed to finish outlining these protections and assurances...?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 06:39:18 am »

Hate sidles over, trying to peer over a shoulder.

"The paper... makes him promise?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 10:19:14 am »

"Ain't never had to sign no paper in all my life," Dawls grumbles. "Swore on my ancestors, I did. 'Sides, you could write anything you want on that paper and I wouldn't know it until you kicked me out of my own farm, or something."

Henry, sensing an argument, stepped in. "Dawls has been lived here his whole life. He ain't the sharpest tack, but he's always come through on his promises. I don't imagine that he'd try to cheat any of you, but if he does you come see me. I'll make sure you're recompensed for your trouble."

Dawls, apparently missing the earlier insult, beams with pride at the notion that he's honest.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 11:53:32 am »

"Right you did, swear on your ancestors. That's enough for me; besides, it's an adventure! An goat-seeking adventure, but an adventure nonetheless!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 12:01:45 pm »

Obviously distressed, Imrak begins stuffing his belongings back into his pack, fiercely mumbling about "barbarians" and "dishonest practices".

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 04:26:23 am »

"Ancestors. Shall we go? Shall we finish the beer and then go? Where did you leave these lost goats, Mr Dawls? I... I don't have them."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 11:55:43 am »

"Aw, thank you kindly good sirs and ma'ams. Blessings of Astrid upon ye. Follow me; my farm's outside the walls but we oughta be able to get there before it gets too late. I'll put you up for the night, and show you around in the morning so you can get to work finding that damned thief."

Dawls waits patiently for his four helpers to toss back their drinks, then leads them through the streets of Tomrik's Hollow to the eastern gate. After a short conversation with the guards (which mostly consists of "watch yourselves out there") they are let out into the sprawling community surrounding the city proper. Here, those too poor to afford a home within the walls - or have trades that require a lot of space that only the wider world can provide - live in the hopes that they can seek refuge when trouble comes to call.

"It's this way!" Dawls calls over his shoulder. He leads the group further away from the gates, to the outskirts of the community where tightly-packed buildings give way to pastures and farm plots. Eventually, after the sun has finally vanished from the sky, he marches up a dirt path towards the wooden hovel he apparently calls home. A large shaggy dog comes out to greet everyone, barking wildly but not acting even remotely aggressively.

"Get down, Mop! Damned dog. Don't mind him, he's as dangerous as he is useful. Hasn't caught the thief even once." Mop takes exactly zero notice of the insult. He's more interested in sniffing at Raina.

"Right, well, I don't exactly have much space in here. You four can kip in the barn." Dawls points to a larger structure, also made of wood, looming on the edge of visibility in the deepening night. "Ain't much, but it's dry and there's blankets. I'll show you around in the morning."

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 01:39:50 pm »

PTW
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 04:43:10 pm »

"Hey, if the thefts happen at night, wouldn't it be better if we stayed up to keep watch? Could you at least show where your remaining goats are?"

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 05:51:38 pm »

Dawls looks startled at the suggestion.

"Well, I guess that makes sense. They ain't yet hit two nights in a row, though. Well, if you wanna stay awake all night I'm not gonna stop you. The goats are over this way." The farmer walks a short distance past the barn towards a fenced-in pasture. The goats are barely discernible to people without darkvision, but those who can see clearly in the dark can make out several dozen goats clustered about, clearly settling in for the night. Aside from the occasional bray, the animals are silent.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 06:17:20 pm »

The urchin looked between the shadowed goat pen and the barn.
"You never thought 'bout keeping 'em in the barn at night?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 06:29:20 pm »

"Only when the weather's bad. Too cramped to keep 'em in there every night."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4