Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact description of itself  (Read 1454 times)

LeXouille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Artifact description of itself
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:47:26 am »

Hi everyone,

I started dwarf fortress some month ago and i love it.

So far the only problems i observed were all mostly because of my lack of knowledge in dworf management and/or fun experiences with mass lagging when buying everything from merchant ...

Anyway

One of my dwarf made an artifact, and while reading the description, on the artifact is a picture of itself ....
I search a bit and i learnt about mega artifact, how they were made etc, but it is not my case.

Could it be a bug ?

(i would like to post an image, but i do not know yet how to do it here)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact description of itself
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:02 am »

If you can't upload an image, you can always type the item description out. It takes a long time to do, but it does work.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:10:59 am »

(Ninjaed by a nicely succinct alternate suggestion. :P)

It has been known. There are prior threads about it that talk about how it happens (probably something to do with the artefact being created as a concept, then it considers the adornments and in amongst the choice of things-to-be-adorn-on-it is the list of artefacts created, to which itself has just been added) so it's not unknown and not a 'bug' so much as an interesting feature.

As regards posting images, this forum doesn't support image-uploads to itself (if that's what you're unsure about, some fora do and some fora don't) but you can embed image-links to images you have hosted elsewhere by [img]image url here[/img] as the BBCode, with the picture-frame icon to the far left of the lower buttons (just to the left of the more-obvious 'globe' one that's for URL links), above the message-writing pane, as a handy click to get.  If you have a favourite third-party image-hoster that you're already familiar with then use that, though there's Dwarf Fortress File Depot (a parallel but separate resource) that maybe you'd find useful for specifically DF-related images? Not sure, but you can check it out yourself.

If it's the act of taking the screenshot, then depends on your system exactly which ways you can do it, but I wouldn't want to presume that this is where you're stuck, anyway. But do ask for more help for any bit I haven't explained enough for you and I/someone else can do a better job.

And welcome! I hope you enjoy failure the myriad joys of Fortressing!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:15:45 am by Starver »

LeXouille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:59:20 am »

@methylatedspirit

Yes but i wanted to spare my wrist from doing such a thing, but there is no file where i could read the description and copy/paste it ?

@Starver

Ok I get it. Like the dworf already have made a blueprint of the artifact and it was such a marvelous design that he though of it as a nice pattern to put on it
yeah my message was unclear, it was more about the upload part. Do you have any easy-to-use recommendation for third-party image-hoster ?

Anyways thanks you guys for the quicks answers.
I will go onward toward more crippling depressed FUN dwarfs mood management

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:28:31 pm »

I've used a few places to put images, in the past. I think I used Tinypic predominantly at one point. Others I know of are imgur and photobucket, but I'm not sure I used them. There's a whole load of other allegedly fred file (image-specific or otherwise) hosters easily discovered. Try Googling "image hosting sites" and using what looks Ok to you and your willingness to submit to hoops you might be asked to jump through.

Caveat: some may be harder to link the 'raw image url' for, because they like to have the direct footfall to monetise their resource, every now and then a linked-image becomes replacement data vended to that is a "Don't hotlink this image!" admonishment rather than the intended bitmap. I'm not sure which do this or not. Tinypic went a whole lot more troublesome at one point but may be back to usable now. I'll check next time I have any reason to use something like that again.

An actual bug (relating to the sheer quantity of decoration, in amongst which was a whole lot of self-referentiality) is the legendary (and aptly named?) Planepacked.

Other / examples of the more mundane self-imagery aspect for your entertainment might tickle you, too.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 12:32:52 pm »

Hi everyone,

I started dwarf fortress some month ago and i love it.

So far the only problems i observed were all mostly because of my lack of knowledge in dworf management and/or fun experiences with mass lagging when buying everything from merchant ...

Anyway

One of my dwarf made an artifact, and while reading the description, on the artifact is a picture of itself ....
I search a bit and i learnt about mega artifact, how they were made etc, but it is not my case.

Could it be a bug ?

(i would like to post an image, but i do not know yet how to do it here)
NAB (Not-A-Bug)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

LeXouille

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 01:00:02 pm »

@ Starver

Ok thanks you for your recommendations, i will look into it
Yes I have heard of Planepacked, but as my artifact was not created the same way that why I was wondering for a potential bug.

I tried to search a bit but probably did not use the search tool properly enough.

Thanks everyone for your guidance, hope to see you in other threads !